Poll on Home Protection

One thing I tell folks when they are objecting to purchasing an alarm from me is that whether the alarm deters the breakin or not, there is peace of mind in knowing that you will not be walking into a burgulary in progress. BG sets off alarm. BG grabs what he can and runs before cops come. Monitoring station calls you right after they call the cops.

Didn't know we had another alarm person on the board. Who do you work for?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in alarm system and HD gun (mine is Mossberg 500A 12 Gauge in bed rail rack). Hard to shoot in SD if you are still asleep when BG gets to you. Alarm also takes care of alerting authorities while you concentrate on use of gun. I also have a large dog that barks at strangers. The answer is a thorough and integrated system, not one part vs another!

My house alarm serves several purpoes, for starters i dont think i could ever get my wife to use a firearm in self defense, emotionally its just not something shes prepared to do so when m gone the alarm is her main line of defense. When im home it serves as a good way to wake me in the heaviest of sleep and provides a distraction to any intruder. Now they have to think about an alarm shrieking in their ears, two dogs barking their heads off, a strobelight blinding them and a 6ft 4 210 lb guy with a gun pointed at their head, now thats home security

Guest HvyMtl

The last home had a security system with an alarm that would melt your fillings. One night we had a direct lightening strike on the house. The thing went off, its tone oddly changed, unbelievably more loud and annoying then ever before. Sucker was so loud you could feel the alarm vibration in your jaw...

Pulled the plug out of the wall... STILL screaming... Broke open the main box and tore out the battery back up. STILL SCREAMING. Called the alarm company, they advised me to tear the main box out off the wall. I did and it pulled the secondary wiring out of the back, finally killing the alarm...

The home builder had some contractor installed the system. Wish I knew who it was, as I wanted them to wire the new house like the old. Couldnt find out who it was, as the builder had gone bankrupt and sold the year before... Couldnt find any alarm service who would wire the system like that. But after arguing, I did get them to install an alarm audible to the outside... Sad...