Poll on Home Protection

Just reported poll results on WATE TV 6 - 96% yes, gun is the best defense.

This after the report on attempted (mobile) home invasion, where the lady of the house ran the thugs off with her trusty Jennings .22

Can't believe I just typed that...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Glock23ForMe

96% - 227 Votes

4% - 9 Votes

I have two dogs that, at night, know what sounds are what and it's fabulous. Yes, it's great if your dog barks at a rat farting in the kitchen, but I don't wanna be awake every 3 hours.

About a month ago, my dog that sleeps at the foot of my beg woke up, stood up, growled meaner than I'd ever heard her growl and the hair on the back of her neck stood up. The one that sleeps in his kennel started growling too (He thinks expensive comforters are tasty, tasty, tasty) This = "Dad, something is going on outside that you need to know about." I grabbed my trusty G23 and peeked out the corner of the window to see two drunk idiots from the building behind mine sitting in the grass breaking twigs with their hands at 2 in the morning.. Wasn't amused, but it made me happy when the dogs realized that the sound normally didn't happen and alerted me.

A gun protects my home and the lives within it.

You must have missed all the TV commercials where the guy busts in, the alarm goes off. Alarm company calls. Ask if everything is OK. Frighten woman says, "someone just busted in my front door". Helpful alarm company guy says "I'm sending help right away". The bad guy always runs away. :cool: At least on TV.

SNL did a great spoof of this. It ends with "Get Broadview. Or get murdered." I'm sure it's on Hulu.

When I lived in GA about 10 years ago, our neighboring town Kennesaw had this town ordinance...ALL homeowners (who can pass a background check) were required to keep a firearm. I had heard of this law but always thought it was some outdated law nobody really obeyed until one afternoon I was at Sports Authority picking up some ammo and a customer at the gun counter was upset. He explained to the guy behind the counter he HAD to purchase a gun bcz the police came to his house and asked if he had a firearm. The guy said no and the cops informed him he had to purchase one. Not sure if the cops were giving him trouble bcz he was black or not but it appeared they were enforcing that town law. Kennesaw used to be kinda redneck. They even have/had a klan museum on 41 (Cobb Pkwy). Anyway, if I remember correctly Kennesaw had very low crime rate.

Guest cheez

Well I have both the alarm system and the guns. I sleep pretty sound so the alarm is there to wake me up. At that point the invader is likely to have the worst day of his life.:)

Guest 6.8 AR
At least they picked the right screen name.

He fell asleep during civics, history, math, english, PE, woke up at

the last bell of the day. But he has a computer.:D

He fell asleep during civics, history, math, english, PE, woke up at

the last bell of the day. But he has a computer.:D

Yep, and there are hundreds of thousands just like that one. It's hard to read the comments after news articles these days.

Guest 6.8 AR

The comments are the entertaining part of the news. You can find out how stupid

people can be, sometimes by looking at their screen name. :D

Guest Vincent
When I lived in GA about 10 years ago, our neighboring town Kennesaw had this town ordinance...ALL homeowners (who can pass a background check) were required to keep a firearm. I had heard of this law but always thought it was some outdated law nobody really obeyed until one afternoon I was at Sports Authority picking up some ammo and a customer at the gun counter was upset. He explained to the guy behind the counter he HAD to purchase a gun bcz the police came to his house and asked if he had a firearm. The guy said no and the cops informed him he had to purchase one. Not sure if the cops were giving him trouble bcz he was black or not but it appeared they were enforcing that town law. Kennesaw used to be kinda redneck. They even have/had a klan museum on 41 (Cobb Pkwy). Anyway, if I remember correctly Kennesaw had very low crime rate.

They passed that law years ago as a comment on the town Morton Grove,IL passing a handgun ban. With days of the Morton Grove law Kennesaw passed their "required" law.

From Wiki but true:

Handgun ban

In 1981, Morton Grove became the first town in America to prohibit the possession of handguns. Victor Quilici, a local lawyer, sued the city (Quilici v. Morton Grove). The federal district court as well as the Appellate Court ruled the Morton Grove ordinance to be constitutional, thus upholding the gun ban. The U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case, letting the lower court decision stand.

The ban stands as village code 6-2-3. However, it appears that the village will likely repeal its handgun ban in light of the US Supreme Court's landmark 2008 opinion in District of Columbia v. Heller.[3] As of July 28, 2008 the city dropped its prohibition on handguns. The village board voted 5-1 in favor of removing the ban.[4]

It apparently already thinks I've voted. :stare:

And the comment from the dispatcher is dead on. When your alarm system is "triggered", the alarm company waits a couple of minutes to see if you reset it. Then, if it doesn't reset, they try to call you. Then (some companies) call everyone on your contact list. Then they call the police. The call taker has to enter the information into the computer. Then the dispatcher that actually transmits calls to the officers receives the information and puts the call out to units on the street. You're looking at a minimum (and I mean bare minimum) of two minutes from the time someone enters your home until an officer is even aware of the situation. And then, they're probably not sitting right outside of your house. A lot can happen in two minutes which is your absolute best case scenario.

I used to have an ADT system. After accidentally setting off the alarm myself a couple of times ;) I learned that if I turned it off at the panel within 40 seconds, they do nothing. I also learned that I can do a lot of things in 40 seconds.... like run all the way around the house looking for an unlocked door.

Not to mention that any burglar with half a brain knows that all they have to do is disconnect the phone line on the outside of the house to disable the system monitoring.

not my monitoring company. If they pull that crap I'll pull all 375 accounts and move them somewhere else that knows how to handle an alarm call. ...

Who's your compnay?

Guest Glock23ForMe

Not to mention that any burglar with half a brain knows that all they have to do is disconnect the phone line on the outside of the house to disable the system monitoring.

At my family business back home, the burglar tried that... The alarm company called the cops right then and then called us and said, "Someone tried to break it, cut the cord to the siren and the phone line, the police are on the way." It was probably a good thing the cops caught them... We had more guns there than the Washington County Sherriff's Dept has total. ;)

At my family business back home, the burglar tried that... The alarm company called the cops right then and then called us and said, "Someone tried to break it, cut the cord to the siren and the phone line, the police are on the way." It was probably a good thing the cops caught them... We had more guns there than the Washington County Sherriff's Dept has total. ;)

I asked ADT what they did if they lost connection. Their answer was ...." umm... well... umm... nothing."

My primary purpose for the system was for fire protection more than burglary anyway. Security systems only scare away amateurs, so just having the sign in the yard will handle that task.

I used to have an ADT system. After accidentally setting off the alarm myself a couple of times ;) I learned that if I turned it off at the panel within 40 seconds, they do nothing. I also learned that I can do a lot of things in 40 seconds.... like run all the way around the house looking for an unlocked door.

Who's your compnay?

Lol...this reminded me of back in the 80's at my parents house someone broke in during the day. The room (upstairs) from which they entered didn't have a motion detector or anything on that particular window. Once they got into the hallway the motion sensor triggered the alarm. when I arrived the police showed up. The front door was still locked. When we went in all the room doors were open including the door to the garage. The sliding glass door to the backyard was still locked with the blinds dishevelled. The police concluded the perpetrator ran downstairs looking for any exit, couldn't find one, ran back up upstairs and went out the same window he came in. All valuable items that were left in plain and very visible sight was left alone.

Sometime just having an alarm may do the trick rather than paying for a service that rarely benfits the homeowner (from burglaries).

Guest Glock23ForMe
I asked ADT what they did if they lost connection. Their answer was ...." umm... well... umm... nothing."

My primary purpose for the system was for fire protection more than burglary anyway. Security systems only scare away amateurs, so just having the sign in the yard will handle that task.

Yeah, I can understand that. We don't have ADT, we have a company called "Fleenor Security" and they're really good about the monitoring of it.

Who's your compnay?

That's what cell backups are for, I have customers that don't even have a land line any longer

My Company is Surveillance Systems, I monitor using a company out of Statesville,NC called Security Central.

Well that's what happens if you opt NOT to have a cell backup.

Yeah, I can understand that. We don't have ADT, we have a company called "Fleenor Security" and they're really good about the monitoring of it.

Didn't know Fleenor went all the way to nashville, but I guess since I have I see no reason they wouldn't. I've met and spoke with MR. Fleenor, he is good people.:D

Now I am not advertizing, got to be a vendor to do that and I can't see vendor status for an alarm company on a gun board (now that I think about it, it might be something to think about), but anyone wanting more info on me and my company can PM me.

Guest cheez

One thing I tell folks when they are objecting to purchasing an alarm from me is that whether the alarm deters the breakin or not, there is peace of mind in knowing that you will not be walking into a burgulary in progress. BG sets off alarm. BG grabs what he can and runs before cops come. Monitoring station calls you right after they call the cops.