Compact .45 Opinions

Yikes!

Thanks for all the feedback yall. I have a Kimber compact custom that has been flawless so I can't buy into the internet rumors that any 1911 under 5" is not reliable. I am getting away from the plastic. Nothing wrong with them. I still have an XD45 compact which I will keep simply because 13 +1 gives me the warm fuzzys. It just resonates funny when shot. That may sound strange but I swear I feel a strange plastic vibration when I shoot it. Has anybody else felt it? I traded my Kahr p9 for a Sig P238 SAS. (sweet) Now I want to give an all metal micro/ultra .45 a test drive.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I could recommend a 1911 that is smaller than 5" for carry as reliability goes way down due to barrel length. I'd carry a 5" 1911 if you need something thinner.

I hear this a lot and while many people say they have had problems with commander and officer size I personally have a Colt 1991 series 80 compact that I have had for about 10 years. I have put plenty of rounds through it, shot IDPA with it (not a smart move if you want a good score but since I carry it very practible) and carry it. I am a 1911 guy so this works for me.

I had one of these and actually great gun ,but I couldn't get accustom to the Heine straight 8 sights. The gun holds 10+1 and is about the size of XD9 sc. I am looking at the compact 1911s.:D

I have a PT145 and really like it. It's a tad thinner than the XDSC, but otherwise very similar size. I think the Kahr PM45 is about the smallest .45 you'll find. If you're willing to change to 9mm or .40S&W, there are smaller options. I'm not a very big person but find the really small subcompacts difficult to shoot.

200 lbs, 5ft10in. carry a full size 45 IWB very easily. Often carry a full size HK USP 45 IWB, and have no trouble covering.

have the XD45sc and the P45.

love the Kahr line. the P45 is really ideal for me if i'm trying to go thin...

I put Crimson Trace LGs on my Kimber Compact Custom this weekend and I'm not sure I got what I wanted in the deal. I thought I was getting the model that has the pressure switch on the front strap but this model has buttons on each side if the grip. Anyone have any knowledge of CT model differences? I'm not sure I like the buttons and since I've installed the batteries and grips I don't know if Guns & Leather will let me swap out for what I thought I was getting to begin with...

I don't know if I could recommend a 1911 that is smaller than 5" for carry as reliability goes way down due to barrel length. I'd carry a 5" 1911 if you need something thinner.

Not tryin' to start an argument, but ...

My Springfield Micro has NEVER failed to go "bang." I've fed it just about everything on the market, including some really cheap stuff.

On the other hand, my 5" Colt has had a hard time digesting anything but hardball ammo.

So reliability, in my modest experience (couple of thousand rounds through the Springer), would have to be that either the Springfield is more reliable than the Colt, or that a 3-1/2" is MORE reliable than a 5" ...

Just my ;) ...

• 2 weeks later...

G&L made the LGs right. I got the front switch model yesterday. They have a 1911 that calls to me but I don't ever seem to be able to catch Dennis when he's there... Gun Show this weekend here I come.

The Kimber is made here. The Springfield Micro is not a Springfield, they are just the importer; it is made in Brazil. I don’t know if that’s important to you, but it’s a deal breaker for me.

I have owned several Kimbers including an SIS Ultra. I didn’t have any problems with it, but I didn’t put many rounds through it either. I have owned Springfield’s made here, but not their imports.

Dave,

What springfields are made here in the USA?

Unless things have changed, they build their higher end models (like the TRP) in Illinois on frames from Imbel in Brazil.

But I think the Micro is made complete in Brazil and Springfield just puts their name on it as required by Federal law as the importer. Same as with the XD from HS Produkt (IM Metal) in Croatia.

But my info could be outdated; maybe someone has newer info.