Compact .45 Opinions

Yikes!

I've been a fan of .45s for years. I have an XD .45 compact but it's too big/fat to tote. I inherited a Colt Model 80 1911 from my father in law awhile back and loved it so much I bought a gently used Kimber Compact Custom that is just a little smaller and easier to carry.

What I need help with is I am thinking of an even smaller/lighter .45 for my summer fashions:). I am considering another Kimber in ultra size possibly with laser grips or a Springer EMP but they seem to be hard to find in .45.

I want night sights and think the laser grips would be a plus as well.

I like to her what yall think...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that I carry daily. I also added the Crimson Trace grips on it. I did change the springs out shortly after purchase to add a heavier pin strike. I have never had a misfire, FTF, FTE, etc... since the change. I sighted in my laser to 15 yards and can hit just about anything with it. I'm a huge fan and highly recommend a ultra compact 1911. It's not for everyone though. It took me awhile to get use to the cock and locked carry.

I have a Springfield Ultra Compact that I carry daily. I also added the Crimson Trace grips on it. I did change the springs out shortly after purchase to add a heavier pin strike. I have never had a misfire, FTF, FTE, etc... since the change. I sighted in my laser to 15 yards and can hit just about anything with it. I'm a huge fan and highly recommend a ultra compact 1911. It's not for everyone though. It took me awhile to get use to the cock and locked carry.

Cocked and locked is no prob. It just takes a lot of practice to remember you've gotta click the safety before you can pull the trigger. I also have a Sig p238 SAS for pocket carry in a Nemisis holster that I really like but it's only .380.

6'1 300lbs. I just like my guns like I like my ladies... slim.

Ah, you need the

LM4 Simmerling

LM4.jpgThe legendary Simmerling is one of the smallest .45 ACP's ever made. This incredible vest pocket pistol has a 5-shot capacity, and the first round is carried in the chamber ready for instant use just like a revolver or a larger frame .45 Auto. The LM4 weighs in at just 24 oz., and is only 5.2 x 3.7 inches in size with a thickness of 1 inch. The LM4 will be produced in limited quantities.

- OS

Guest Doug

I carry a Colt Defender with night sights and crimson trace laser grips in a Cross Breed IWB holster. I'm very happy with it. I occasionally carry other guns but I always go back to my Colt.

The Kahr in 45 would be a good choice. I have a Kahr in 9mm and they are great guns.

Guest tbone

+1 on the Defender. I had one for a while and it was a great carry 1911. It feed hollow points fine. I remember a couple of stove pipes, but I didn't count them because they occurred on the range with reloaded ammo. With factory ammo, that gun was a utterly reliable and amazingly accurate. Get a quality mag to feed it, like a Wilson Combat, and you will be good to go!

Ah, you need the

LM4 Simmerling

The legendary Simmerling is one of the smallest .45 ACP's ever made. This incredible vest pocket pistol has a 5-shot capacity, and the first round is carried in the chamber ready for instant use just like a revolver or a larger frame .45 Auto. The LM4 weighs in at just 24 oz., and is only 5.2 x 3.7 inches in size with a thickness of 1 inch. The LM4 will be produced in limited quantities.

- OS

Thats actually heavier then the 1rd higher capacity Kahr PM45 and CW45 (19.7oz)

Guest pusherman

Well, you said 45 but you didn't say what flavor:koolaid:. I have a nice 45LC BondArms cent2000. I carry it in my front pocket of my jeans. Light, smaller than a SW .38, nice little blaster.

Also have a 245Sig that I'm very fond of. Feeds like a dream, shoots where you point but its a little chunky. I cant carry this one with a tshirt and jeans.

:P

I don't know if I could recommend a 1911 that is smaller than 5" for carry as reliability goes way down due to barrel length. I'd carry a 5" 1911 if you need something thinner.

I carry a Glock 36. It's a single stack so it's slim. It's reliable, accurate and light weight. I have a CT sight on it. It ain't glamorous like a nice Kimber or Colt, but it's the smallest 45 I own.