Colt 100 years of service 1911

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize all you're doing is damaging your own credibility making such ignorant, sweeping statements.

Actually not, but then if I did, im sure you and all of your friends in East Nashville would love it.

Here is the point I was trying to make: (I will break it down caveman-style for you)

1. The 100 year Colt displayed at the NRA show looked like a gaudy POS that some ghetto fabulous fool had done up in auto shop.

(or that had been done by Lew Horton)

2. That same gaudy 1911 will be priced about 2.5x higher than it is really worth, but will be snatched up by "collectors" and guys that drink more than the recommended amount of :eek:

3. I stand by my statment that Colts have LONG lost their real value in the market, and the last good 1911s they made were Pre-70 series/70 series guns.

4. The very reason why guys like Wilson Combat and Clark Customs got their start was that people wanted MORE out of their Colts.

They were tired of piss-poor fit,feel,and performance that was the standard coming from Colt.

5. If you want an American icon, buy a Colt.

If you want a wonderful 1911, there are 3 billion options out there OTHER than Colt.

6. Like always, your opinion and experience may vary but keep in mind that this is MY opinion, and I stand behind it.

** I will also add that I have a WONDERFUL Colt 1911 collection that I would be happy to share with you. (I am pretty sure that except for my Delta Elite, and a Combat Commander that had 2k worth of work done by Ted Yost, all of my Colts were made before 1970)

Edited by BimmerFreak

Let me clarify my point; Colt, and every other manufacturer, has made some lemons since they've been in business. All have also made excellent firearms. To say that any gunmaker has not made a "decent gun in 40+ years" is just wrong.

(Since we were posting at the same time)... I have not been privy to seeing the anniversary Colt of which you speak, so I cannot comment as to that particular firearm. Of your six bullet points above, I only solidly disagree with number 3. It holds true only for those bothered by the Series 80 safety (and there are those folks).

As far as your little "E. Nashville" dig... funny. Shows the true Phallustine you are. :eek:

Edited by Steelharp
Let me clarify my point; Colt, and every other manufacturer, has made some lemons since they've been in business. All have also made excellent firearms. To say that any gunmaker has not made a "decent gun in 40+ years" is just wrong.

GENERALLY SPEAKING Colt's quality, performance, value, and overall competitive edge has been lacking in the 1911 market for about 40 years.

Colt has not kept pace with the competition, which has caused their market share to shift from total dominance to a lack luster position in a very crowded market.

Colt has been on the edge of bankruptcy many times over the past 20-30 years, and has been saved from certain doom by fat no-bid contracts from DoD.

** With the M16/M4 stranglehold having been broken by companies like FN and Sabre, its only a matter of time before Colt starts to suffer from their black rifle business being shifted away from them.