Mossberg 100 ATR questions

Guest fourspdRAT

Guest fourspdRAT

I have a Mossberg 100 ATR in .308 Winchester. I'm new to rifles and I'm struggling to shoot 2" groups at 100 yards. I've only shot 2 different types of ammo: Hornady Match 168gr BTHP, and Hornady Custom 150gr SST InterLocks. I was shooting off a bench, with the rifle on a bipod. I'm controlling my breathing and trying to be steady. I've done some dry firing practice and I'm not jerking the trigger. The scope is the 3-9 scope that came on the rifle. I know it's probably a cheap scope and I plan to replace it, but I would think it would be good enough for 100 yards. Anybody have any suggestions to help my accuracy?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fourspdRAT
scope not damaged and rings tight?

What went on during shipping, I have no idea but since I have owned the gun it has not been dropped, banged around or anything of the sort. I have noticed that sometimes the crosshairs will not focus and I have to slightly adjust the zoom to get them into focus. That may be something normal for scopes, but again, I'm new to this stuff.

The first time I went to the range with this gun, after the first few groups I noticed my accuracy was way off. The rings had loosened up. Now I keep an allen head set with me and check their tightness every so often. They haven't loosened up since I had to tighten them the first time.

Guest fourspdRAT
What kind of rings? That might be your problem. If the rings are not tight your scope might be moving.

Uh.. I don't know. But I do have a picture! :D

2010-05-15221430.jpg

Guest godgunsanddogs

I"d blame the rings, then scope, have you let someone else shoot it to see if they could do any better since you are new to rifles, bye the way I have been shooting rifles over 15 years & 3 or 4 inch groups are my best, just never got good with one, thats why I stick to shotguns.

Guest coldblackwind

I'm thinking what you have is a cheap rifle, with a cheap scope, and cheap rings. May be the best you'll get out of it, or a better scope and rings might improve the situation. Most companys that include a scope and rings don't really give you anything all that great.

Since you say you are new to rifles I assume you have not shot any better with other set-ups that you can compare to.

That’s not a high dollar rifle and who knows what that glass is, but 2” groups don’t sound that bad for a beginner with a new rifle.

Is there a marksman where you shoot that could try it out? Maybe someone here will volunteer, where in N. Alabama are you?

Guest fourspdRAT

I've let a couple others shoot it and they didn't seem to do much better. I know it's a cheap rifle and I would never expect it to shoot the same as a $1K+ rifle, but I've done alot of reading online about it and sub-MOA groups are common. I guess I should invest in a good scope and rings. What type of rings would y'all recommend?

Guest Conrad

I prefer and recommend you get the Burris Signature Zee rings. They are the ones with the polymer shims. I have them on my Marlin XL7 which is also a low cost rifle, but with handloads is shooting Sub moa groups at 100 yards. If you need a better scope i can also recommend those too.

I've let a couple others shoot it and they didn't seem to do much better. I know it's a cheap rifle and I would never expect it to shoot the same as a $1K+ rifle, but I've done alot of reading online about it and sub-MOA groups are common. I guess I should invest in a good scope and rings. What type of rings would y'all recommend?

Sub-MOA groups are always common online.

2" inch groups are not bad at all.

There. I said it. Blasphemous, I know.

Now, if you want to get serious and shoot sub-MOA, get a very good rifle. I like Remmy's, so I recommend the 700, in one of it's variations. Good guns at good prices. Start reloading. Heck, you could probably significantly decrease your current groups with a little patientce and load development.

My deer rifle is a Mossberg 100 ATR in 30-06 with a Leupold 3-9X scope. I have never failed to get my deer and yes, it groups around 2" at 100 yards. The kill zone of a whitetail deer is usually considered to be a 12" + circle. Makes a 2" group sound pretty adequate doesn't it? Most shots here in the southeast are around 50-100yards so that is more than enough acccuracy. If you are target shooting , than you need MOA, but you don't need it for most hunting.

BTW, if you are target shooting with .308, you need a more expensive rifle and an even more expensive scope. But if you are just hunting, what you have is fine.

i THINK your existing set up is capable of better make sure rings are tightend correctly and try using a better support method. my favorite budget rest is a 40-50 lb dog food bag; sturdy, moldable, and my dogs get to eat when i'm done. the 168 gr hornady match loads usually will pull 1" groups out of most 308s. here's a pic with the dog food bag.

have friend shoot it also to see what happens.

200shoot.jpg

Edited by fastbs
my grammer sucks