New Summer Gun

Guest Danne941

Guest Danne941

A few days ago I had my heart set on getting a LCP for the summer heat just around the corner. I just had to call around and see if anyone had a pm9 in stock though and the closest gun store to my house had one. I drove there and asked to look at the little Kahrs (pm9 & pk380). As soon as I held the pm9 and dry fired it a few times I was sold, luckily I had some extra cash from my birthday to offset the higher price. I picked up a 250 pack of UMC 9mm and 20 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 115gr. I also ordered a Desantis super fly pocket holster. Anyone know of a good single clip kydex IWB? Break in range report on Tuesday.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Danne941

I will probably pick up some 124 gr rounds the smaller HP will just be used for the break in. I know that I have seen a single clip kydex that looks like the Don Hume, it needs to be something I can take off quickly if I need to enter a no firearm establishment. The build quality makes me feel all warm and cozy everytime I pick it up.

Guest Danne941
Danne...it might be bad form but if im gonna go into a "no gun zone" I just leave the holster on and drop the gun under my seat/glovebox/whatever and go inside. Theres no law against wearing an empty holster afaik

It would be to much of a hassle going into some of the places I go to all the time (metro courts and etc). I can see the scene already at the metal detector line. Empty your pockets. What is this? A Holster!? WAND! ha ha

My wife carries every day in a Galco Sto-n-Go IWB. Leather, but she loves it. Very comfy.

If you're gonna settle for a center single attached model, the Sto n Go works as well or better than most. The leather is pretty gentle on the little Kahr also.

I used the WalkAbout for a while, which is the Sto n Go with additional mag pouch:

walk2.jpg

but the extra bulk/weight of the mag part wasn't as comfy or as stable as the Sto n Go alone, another of which I used pretty successfully for a while with the much heavier SP101 (also an old Charter wheelie shown):

stow3.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
added pix
Guest Bronker

Thanks for posting the pics, Chief.

I was on my wife's IPhone.

IPhone, Kahr PM9, leather holsters...hmmm...get the feeling that my wife gets all of the cool toys?:D

Danne...it might be bad form but if im gonna go into a "no gun zone" I just leave the holster on and drop the gun under my seat/glovebox/whatever and go inside. Theres no law against wearing an empty holster afaik

While there is no law against it, it is very possible that if seen will cause unwanted attention and a major headache depending on the situation. I agree with Magic's method though just keep the holster concealed as if you had the pistol with you.

( the bold in the quote was my doing)

Guest Danne941

Range Report

This little gun rocks put 204 rounds through it not one hiccup or problem. Super accurate best group was around 3 inchs at 10 yards amazed me. My buddy went with me to try out his sig 238 he really was impressed with the KAHR and I think he wants one now also.

Guest Lester Weevils

I got the slightly larger P9 with 3.5" barrel, though it fits in a pocket just fine.

Started the break-in today with about 100 rounds, and it went bang every time. Half were factory Speer 115gr RN and the other half light target reloads with 4.3 gr W231 and Rainier JHP 124 gr plated bullets.

Those Rainier plated JHPs have a shape which wants a pretty long OAL but not near max OAL. They are long enough to almost touch the front of the bullet to the front of the KAHR single-stack mag, but they fed just fine.

Have never been good with long-travel stiff triggers. The P9 trigger has a pretty long pull, but feels light and smooth. When trying to stage the trigger, got pretty small groups.

But for self-defense I need to get somewhat decent at a deliberate quick squeeze. And a not absurdly slow double-tap that actually hits the target both strikes. Mainly practiced deliberate quick trigger motion, which resulted in 6 or 8 inch 7 yard groups.

Which is shabby for target practice accuracy with a big single-action gun, but OTOH is a lot better than I've been getting from small DA carry guns. Not a problem with the gun, but the shooter. Maybe it will get more accurate with more practice. The trigger certainly doesn't demand as much skill as a snubbie revolver or stiff DA .380 mouse gun. On first outing is already accurate enough to routinely hit a silhouette anyway.

It is remarkable that the recoil feels very tame in such a light pistol. Recoil doesn't give a feel of being any heavier than a Beretta 92FS (which has quite minimal recoil). It is not a tiring gun to shoot.