Help. I screwed up my Ruger 22/45 mkIII

did you take the magazine out befor pulling out the backstrap lever? If the lower arm of the release doesnt swing free and out all the way the bolt will not pull out of the hole behind the sights. It is a tight fit but the more you fire it and repeated takedowns the more it looses up and get easier.

Good luck!

I love my Ruger 22/45 except that it only runs smoothly on CCI mini-mags.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a bit about those guns. Where are you at in Chattanooga? If you are near harrison-ooltewah I will take you to my range...I will bring my collection of Ruger MK series guns and show you how they all work - shoot some.

If you are in North Chattanooga area I can meet somewhere also.

Sometimes they are pretty tight guns...it might not be you.

SAME THING happened to me! This discription is going to make me sound like an idiot cause I don't know that name of the parts. The manual is 50 feet away from me but it may has well be a mile. My back went out today and I'm laying on the floor and can't get up. If you like I will post again with a better discription. There is a kit you can order for the Mark III that allows you to break the gun down easily. It's a Majestic Arms Speed Strip kit.

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

Anyway, here is what I did to free up my Mark III.....

Took it apart, made the classic reassmbly blunder (That little hangy down thing on the hammer was not set correctly) and I could not get it apart again. I took a small hammer and tapped the top behind the rear sight (The little knob that sticks up). When I tapped that knob it freed the lever, which easily came out. You can try tapping that lightly with a brass hammer so you don't damage anything.

Though I was able to fix the problem I broke the rear sight. But I use a BSA red dot sight anyway.

Edited by Will Carry

I took my ruger apart to try to simulate your problem and the only thing I found was the slide stop release button sometimes sticks in the mid position so if I press it all the way down then the bolt release will pull out.

I hope this helps.

Guest The Highlander

As I mentioned in another thread somewhere or other, these guns can be a pain to reassemble. That's why I clean my beloved Mk II Target at least once every ten years whether it needs it or not. But I think I forgot to clean it in 2000, and I'm kind of busy in 2010, so maybe 2020 will be a go.

Oh the other hand, they shoot as well dirty as they do clean. And I actually learned the "hold it upside down and pull the trigger" trick many, many years ago and it solved my difficulties.

Oh yeah, a clean gun is the sign of a man who doesn't shoot enough, so stop fiddling with the darn thing once you get it back together right!

The Highlander