rust prevention/oil coat while storing. what to use

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

this may have been discussed. is so please post a link.

want some oil that i can coat my guns while in hte safe but at the same time I can still take'em out and shoot them w/o problems unlike the effects of cosmo.

PS I have a 20ga rossi that i soaked the heck out of with rem-oil and it started rusting within a couple months just from humidity:poop:. never was in the rain either. stuff seems as worthless to me as wd40. helps get the papers burning in hte wood stove though:rolleyes:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For years I have used Break-Free CLP, Bore-Stores socks, and run a dehumidifier in my basement during the spring, summer and fall with no rust problems. Recently, I have started to use Remington's rechargeable silica gel desiccant along with the above.

Guest gcrookston

I've lived in humid places like Houston, Mississippi, Louisiana and here... +2 for Breakfree CLP. Using this and Breakfree 'collectors' for the last 20+ years I've never had any arm rust during storage...

Guest 1817ak47

clp, ok will have to get some of that. is that available locally??

I do not have a power port in my safe and I don't think I should drill a hole for dehumidifying.

Guest MERRILL
clp, ok will have to get some of that. is that available locally??

I do not have a power port in my safe and I don't think I should drill a hole for dehumidifying.

No you don't have to drill a hole in your safe. just go to your local auto parts store and get some Drive Way Heat. Put some in a can and put it in your safe. It is calcium chloride and is a powerful dissicant. I use it for protecting my cameras and they are lot more delicate than my guns. Be sure to replace it when it gets wet. Make sure that whatever you get says calcium chloride and not sodium chloride.

Guest Phantom6

+1 for the calcium chloride. I use this and a Remington rechargable pproduct (about $30 bucks- when it turns color, take it out, plug it into outlet to dry out). As for a treatment for my guns themselves, I use Cleansoil (sp?). Keeps the wood hydrated. Just like it says on the bottle, good for lock, stock and barrel.

Slip2000

SLiP2000 Gun Lubricants and Cleaners

this stuff is excellent for storage.

it's excellent for pretty much everything.

Being skeptical of all things "Shiny and New",

i repeated the same test that they

reference...

SLiP2000 - Testimonials

I cleaned, then lubed two guns, one with CLP one w/ SLIP2000, then ran them hard. I put em away dirty.

months later, the CLP gun had problems and I had to morter it to get the bolt open. the SLIP gun functioned perfectly.

upon inspection of the internals, indeed the CLP gun internals were dry to only partially lubed. A likely side effect of the heat drying and burning off the CLP? it is petrolium based. The CLP bolt had similar corrosion to the one referenced in the article.

The SLIP gun was well lubed. show no surface corrosion of any kind.

I was convinced.

Now, don't get me wrong...

i still use CLP. it's a generally proven product that functions most guns and will keep them running. but run a gun hard and then store it without cleaning, and CLP will fail. It really depends on what your goals are.

I'm moving over to SLIP entirely. but the fact that CLP works, is easy to find and will keep a gun running makes it a great product for running a gun. just not storing one.

No you don't have to drill a hole in your safe. just go to your local auto parts store and get some Drive Way Heat. Put some in a can and put it in your safe. It is calcium chloride and is a powerful dissicant. I use it for protecting my cameras and they are lot more delicate than my guns. Be sure to replace it when it gets wet. Make sure that whatever you get says calcium chloride and not sodium chloride.

I've never used Drive Way Heat, but the fact that it's calcium chloride bothers me. Calcium chloride eats/ rusts metal like you would not believe. Do not get calcium chloride on any firearm that you intend to have in good shape. It will rust it up very, very quickly.

• 1 month later...
Guest 1817ak47

is this break free clp the same stuff as what is sold in black spray cans under the label winchester break free??? need to rust proof my guns soon

For years I have used Break-Free CLP, Bore-Stores socks, and run a dehumidifier in my basement during the spring, summer and fall with no rust problems. Recently, I have started to use Remington's rechargeable silica gel desiccant along with the above.

If you're talking about the one that recharges by plugging into the wall, it's made by Eva Dry. If you hunt around, you can get it a little cheaper.

Portable Dehumidifier | Quiet Dehumidifier | Safe Dehumidifier | Small Dehumidifier

Guest 1817ak47
is this break free clp the same stuff as what is sold in black spray cans under the label winchester break free??? need to rust proof my guns soon

??