P95 rust

Guest yzfMrLee

Guest yzfMrLee

I sold one of my friends a P95 about a year or so ago. Went shooting with him today and noticed a bit of surface rust on the slide. (duo tone gun) Nothing major just enough to notice if you really look. What would be the best thing to use to remove this?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have read NOT to use steel wool on stainless and to use a 3M Scotch Brite pad. I think I read this on the Marlin website concerning their stainless steel lever-actions. The reason to not use steel wool is flakes of it will imbed in the stainless steel and these flakes will rust.

I have read NOT to use steel wool on stainless and to use a 3M Scotch Brite pad. I think I read this on the Marlin website concerning their stainless steel lever-actions. The reason to not use steel wool is flakes of it will imbed in the stainless steel and these flakes will rust.

This is correct, do not use steel wool. Scotchbrite, emory cloth, crokus cloth, polishing compound, .... any of those will work.

Marlin says "fine" Scotchbrite, not the stuff at the grocery store. I have a scratch on my 336SS, so I looked it up yesterday. I believe to can get the fine stuff at auto parts stores.

Most home improvement stores will have various grades of scotchbrite. It's color coded with green being the most abrasive and blue being the least. Red and gray are in the middle (I think).

You'll have a difficult time replicating the OE finish or machine marks on the slide. There will likely be an obvious polished spot. You may want to blast the slide with a very light media (walnut shells, plastic media, etc.) to restore the uniform finish.

Guest yzfMrLee
Most home improvement stores will have various grades of scotchbrite. It's color coded with green being the most abrasive and blue being the least. Red and gray are in the middle (I think).

You'll have a difficult time replicating the OE finish or machine marks on the slide. There will likely be an obvious polished spot. You may want to blast the slide with a very light media (walnut shells, plastic media, etc.) to restore the uniform finish.

That's a good point. If it was me I'd see about getting it finished maybe. Don't think he wants to spend a lot on a p95 though. Thanks for the advice. I might see if I can blast it for him.