Gold Investing?

Guest HvyMtl

Ok, if you were buying 10-20 years ago, gold would have been a nice investment. Now, it is way high in "value." And just like any commodity, whether real estate, oil, corn, or pig bellies, the bubble will burst. Buying now is setting yourself up for big loss later. Now would be the time to sell some...

As for a SHTF - if it is a short term, like a Katrina, good to go. If it is long term, like a "Book of Eli," not so much... The real assets then are water, food, shelter, and ammo... (arguably, knowledge...) Gold must have a perceived value, and a known uniform perceived value to make it a commodity...

Edited by HvyMtl
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was reading a blog somewhere and a guy was telling about buying gold trinkets, rings jewelry and such for SHTF situations. It could be used for barter just like coins, but people would allow more for a pretty trinket than coins or bullion. I keep some silver 90% coins for the purpose and should probably pick some more up, but investing in black gold is probably a better route. Black gold being serious hardware with a trigger and some ammo to feed it.

Since removing the U.S. from the gold standard, paper money has zero value other than the value you personally place on your physical or mental labor and willingness to work. That's all a dollar is worth and, of course, that value is worth more to some than others. The government has no intrinsic value, creates nothing, and backs up their paper currency only through our acceptance of their ability to levy taxes. So, when other countries are buying dollars, or our treasury's debt, they are really only purchasing our long standing history as a people to be productive, and the governments ability to continue to levy taxes with the expectation of us paying them.

Edited by seez52

It is always good to have some investments as the dollar is losing value everyday and has been since the government took the backing of gold away from the dollar.

I'm not advocating everyone go out and buy gold or silver, just know don't sell your gold right now( price will only go up) which means the value of the dollar is going down.

Sure, i have some gold( family jewelry i inheirited mostly)and some silver. But i also have some lead that I'll give any intruder for free.B)

They may not like the outcome though, but I think it's the best investment i've made so far.