Anyone here ever use a Mosquito Magnet

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I guess it is a bit late to be asking because I already bought one. Going to get a propane tank and get it fired up this afternoon. Just curious if anyone here has had any good/bad experiences with them?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DeadEye

They do work great if you get a large size, but they can easily run you $35. + a month with filters, propane etc!

Also be careful not to have unit stolen!

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I know the propane charge will be there but its only for the summer months so I can swing it. ANYTHING to cut down on mosquitos. My lot is circled by huge pine trees and we can't really use our backyard at all in the summer.

I used one for two summers with no noticeable benefit, finally just shut it down. Tried it different locations, read the instructions carefully, etc.

Cutter yard spray every month or so works terrifically here.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
I used one for two summers with no noticeable benefit, finally just shut it down. Tried it different locations, read the instructions carefully, etc.

Cutter yard spray every month or so works terrifically here.

Did you use the attractants like Lurex or whatever?

Guest mtsumatt
My brother in law contacted them and gave them a schematic of his back yard. They told him the proper placement and he hasn't had any issues. We use the Pest Off sprayer. It works well for our needs.

:: - Pest Off - Mosquito Control Systems and Products, LLC - Products - ::

I have never heard of this system. Seems like it would be cheaper to use than refilling propane tanks. I've looked into the mosquito magnet, but I haven't figured out what to use either. I've heard foggers work well too. When the sun starts to go down, those mosquitoes eat us alive at our house. I think they come out of the trees and yell ATTACK!

Guest Bonedaddy

Try going down to Tunica, MS and battle with them Mississippi Pterodactyls! They had to shut the Devil's Bowl dirt track down cause of them. Even the drivers were complaining. But my brother swears that the yard foggers work pretty well. You can't even work on your car in broad daylight 'cause they hide in the dark places and wait for sundown then attack everything that breathes with no quarter!!!

I've lived in TN/MS most of my life but by far the worst place was in Weiner, AR. ti was a rice farming community with the town located on a high point in a swamp/marsh area. The field stayed flooded most of the year and those skeeters thrived!

The propane gigs work pretty good. The only problem is that once you start using them you can't really quit. The way they work is to draw mosquitoes to the system. Once it is off you realize there is an influx of mosquitoes living around you. BTW consider your neighbors when you place the contraption. They may only get the downside of the system. :screwy:

I've used the "yard foggers" in the past while camping. Seemed to work fairly well, but I think it'd get expensive after a while if that's what you were using at your house all summer long.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Well I ran it yesterday evening and last night and this morning I had caught a few. I can see that the trick is going to be the placement as I think the wind was working against me. $20-$30/month in propane is fine with me if it works. Heck we spend that much on bug spray in the summer just trying to keep the kids bite free.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

A little status update: so far I am pleased with the performance. I had to move it once to a better location but my best guess is that it has trapped about 100+/- mosquitos in the first 5 days but it is still fairly early in mosquito season I think. Obviously there are many more in my yard but it seems logical that I can put a dent in the breeding cycle and at least cut down on the number over time. They say that a tank should last 3 weeks.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Runs 24X7 - even in the rain. I thought about turning it off during the rain but my experience has been that mosquitos start moving again immediately after rain - and sometimes even while it is still raining.