Teach me about carrying...

NeveSSL

Hi all.

I'm new, but made my introduction in the Introductions forum. :)

Anyway, I am planning on getting my carry permit, mainly because I want to and have wanted to for several years now. :)

I would like to learn more about it in general, though. Such as, what are some popular carrying guns? Do most people carry them in the waist band? Out? Would I have to buy all new pants for that? :)

I'm generally a "few accessories, the better" kinda guy. I don't like bulky cell phones or large wallets (unless, of course, loaded with cash :) ), etc.

I'm pretty much completely new to carrying and I'm just curious of some basics and trends. :)

Thanks much!

Brandon

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Hi all.

I'm new, but made my introduction in the Introductions forum. :)

Anyway, I am planning on getting my carry permit, mainly because I want to and have wanted to for several years now. :)

I would like to learn more about it in general, though. Such as, what are some popular carrying guns? Do most people carry them in the waist band? Out? Would I have to buy all new pants for that? :)

I'm generally a "few accessories, the better" kinda guy. I don't like bulky cell phones or large wallets (unless, of course, loaded with cash :) ), etc.

I'm pretty much completely new to carrying and I'm just curious of some basics and trends. :)

Thanks much!

Brandon

There's a wide variety of carry guns around. I personally carry a HK USPc, a RIA 1911, or a Kel-Tec P3AT depending on my mood. I carry them all IWB (In the Waist Band), never carried OWB (Out of Waist Band), you'll probably get a discussion on here about open vs. concealed carry. Haha, it's a dead horse everyone loves to beat. Most would suggest buying some pants that are a size larger than normal if you are going to be carrying IWB. But above all, don't worry about trends. Carry what YOU are comfortable with, not what someone else says you will be comfortable with.

Guest Boomhower
what are some popular carrying guns? Do most people carry them in the waist band? Out? Would I have to buy all new pants for that? :)

The list of popular guns is going to be a long one. Everybody has their own opinions. Go to the gun shop and touch everyone they have in the store. See how you like them, which ones felt better, so forth and so on.

I carry IWB and have never had an issue with any of my pant sizes. I just have to go one notch bigger with my belt.

Just my opinion...

I see carrying more as a journey now and not some pick for an end all perfect carry gun. In my early twenties I carried a .38 snubby. Mid twenties a .45 officer's size, and for the past 7 years a Hk USPc.

As I have aged and had different experiences I have moved from gun to gun. Caliber to caliber. Each time for different reasons.

To me one of the most important things is how well the gun fits you. Then how comfortable it is to carry. As far as carry modes... that will change with time, and your situations. OWB may suit you fine, then a change of jobs, or locations or heck even the birth of kids may make IWB a better choice for you.

It's really a very personal choice, and one that can't be critized too much. I would just suggest making a mental note of what other people carry, and if any are ones you might be interested in, go by a store and handle them a bit. Maybe meet up with a TGO member at a range and get a chance to shoot it.

At 38, I am looking at moving toward a Colt Detecive Special, and a Baby Glock. Both inside the waist band. (But I shall NOT sell my HK! :))

There are thousands of choices, and millions of combinations... each one has it's advantages, depending on your situation.

First: Find a mid-size pistol which you can shoot well, and can afford to practice with regularly. Some good choices for a new carrier are the entry-level polymer 9mms, such as the Glock, XD, Taurus 24/7, Ruger SR-9, etc... If you prefer revolvers, the Ruger SP101 or S&W model 60 or 642 would be a good choice, so would similar Taurus or Rossi models in .357mag or .38spl. There's nothing wrong with choosing a larger gun, as long as you are willing to carry it... A Beretta 92 is very user friendly, so are Sig 226/229s.

Second: Complete HCP certification and application

Third: Decide how you'd prefer to carry the pistol you've chosen (Most common is inside the waistband on your strong-side, just behind the hip), and purchase a good (not the cheapest you can find) holster which specifically fits your pistol.

Fourth: Carry the pistol, dress according to how you'd prefer to conceal it... most likely you've chosen a holster which works well with your personal style.

I agree with most of what's been said especially molanlabetn's post.

I started with a Springfield XD 9mm 4inch, that I will carry either IWB or OWB (mostly OWB). I went through a few other guns then including a Sig 229 that for me was just too big to carry not so much in size but weight. Most everyday now I carry either a Kimber Pro Carry II IWB or a S&W Model 642 in my pocket.

Finding the right carry gun and holster setup is a personal genesis that everyone has to make for them selves. I'm of the mind that a medium frame semi-auto is a good place to start though and the XD line seems to be a favorite amongst many because of the natural grip angle. For others though the grip angle of a Glock/M&P works better, As has been suggested go to a bunch of different shops and handle everything that you can and better yet rent and shoot as many as you can if possible.

Good luck in your search.

Guest EasilyObsessed

^^^ The M&P and Glock do not share a similar grip angle. The M&P has a grip angle very similar to the 1911. FWIW

If you dont like a lot of "bulk" you may also want to look at some of the small subcompact keltec guns. You can buy a "wallet" holster and carry the gun in your pocket and it will print no more than a wallet would.

I would personally recommend finding something that you will enjoy shooting at the range as well as be comfortable carrying. The more practice you can have with the weapon the better.

If you are okay with the cost of .45, a 1911 is an excellent choice but they do require some "dedication". If you go with a 9mm or .40, the XD, M&P, or USPc would be at the top of my list.

welcome to TGO:)

be prepared to have a box full of holsters.this is something we all have to go through finding the perfect one.like said above get a good one thats made for your hg,no cheap nylon,one size fits all kind of thing.i like to carry condition 2(a round must be in position to be fired w/o safety)and usually with out the retention strap.this make for quick access when split secends count.i dont want to have to think about unsnapping,loading,removeing safety,etc.with my carry hg being an xd(with no manual safety) all i have to do is piont and shoot.

also dont forget about good ammo for your ccw.when you figure out what you will carry,do some research,different rounds do different things in different guns.ie> some jhp rounds dont expand well in short barrels

good luck!

ps.let us know what you get,we gun nuts like pictures:rock:

get a Glock

Okay don't get a Glock. :)

Do a lot of hands on looking. Gun shows are a great place to see hundreds of different handguns. What works for one person might not work for you.

In case it wasn't clear in other posts, carrying IWB involves a holster specifically made for that carry option. If you are a fatso like me IWB does not work so well or feel very comfortable.

Options on guns to carry make my head hurt, I.E. too dang many to choose from. If you wish to keep it simple I suggest a revolver (38 spl +p capable minimum). As you get more experience find a semi auto that you like, not what some one else likes, YOU. Off duty I always carry concealed with no retention on holster. If no one knows you have a gun, they won't try to grab it. As for personal preference, I try not to go into a gun fight with anything that doesn't start with at least a 4 (45 ACP, 40 s&w, etc..) my only exception is a 357 sig (1 mean round). Your doing the right thing, ask questions and alot of them.

Wow... thanks for all of the replies, guys!

I've been wanting to go to gun shows for years... I usually just miss them or have something going on the weekend of... now I have more of a reason to go. :D

I've got a bit to study up on. I'm gonna go look at some of the suggested weapons. :(

Thanks again!

Brandon

a good place to go is sportsmans whse.they have several to choose from;from entry level to several 1911's.here in chatt i think they have the largest selection.

also if your new to guns i would suggest a 9mm for your first.they have lower recoil,cheap ammo,and a really nice to shoot,but with the right rounds can still be used as a ccw.anything smaller wont give you the stopping power you want.

Guest Glknknox

I carry a G19, no problems whatsoever.

I'm a fan of almost every handgun you can buy and carry, but this is nothing but, pull it out of the holster, aim and shoot.

I wouldn't recomend a gun show for a purchase, they can be kind of expensive for a first time buyer.

Ask me how I know:), been there done that.

Check you local shops and see what fits in your hand that you like and can afford.

Guest canynracer

go to the range and RENT some guns...explain to them that you are looking to buy, they might just let you pay a one time rental fee and shoot several guns if you let them know you might buy it from them...

either way, it is worth it...go shoot some different guns...I am sure we have members on the board from your area, maybe they can meet you and you can try some of thiers..

wouldn't recomend a gun show for a purchase

Nothing wrong with buying at a gun show. Key is knowing price points and being aware of what you should pay for any particular firearm. Gun shows are great for seeing a buttload of roscoes all in one place and pretty much you can fondle what you want. I have seen the same pistols priced good and outrageous at the same shows. You have to look around at all the tables before buying unless you know what you are looking at is a good deal. I have seen great deals at gunshows.

Guest Shooting Coach

Dear Brandon

Depending on your experience with sidearms, I prefer something SIMPLE with no external safeties. For a revolver, I prefer the Smith 640 (steel frame) or the lighter 642 (alloy frame). This firearm series is double action only, or DAO. This means you pull the trigger to fire the arm, and when you take your finger out of the trigger guard, it is safe. Nothing to decock, nothing to apply. This firearm series may be fired from inside a pocket.

For an auto pistol, I like the Glock. Again, no external safeties. You pull the trigger to shoot the arm, and take your finger out of the trigger guard, and the pistol is safe. Both arms are high quality "standards" that are widely used and are superior designs with a superb reputation for reliability.

Pros and cons? The auto holds more rounds, but can jam, especially if not held right. The revolver will fire if the trigger is pulled, regardless of how poorly you grip it, but holds fewer rounds.

If you are a citizen who wishes to carry, in a lethal confrontation you will likely fire three or fewer rounds at five or fewer feet. This makes the little Smith revolver sound like a good deal. It is small, light, and is likely to be carried in hot weather when you are lightly dressed.

For the Armed Professional who looks for the bad guy, you might want the auto pistol. Before you carry this beast, you MUST learn how to service it, feed it, fire it, and FIX IT when it jams. If you train with me you will learn to reduce stoppages by practice with snap caps. You will set them up, and fix them. Later on, I will set up stoppages on the range and you will clear them. If the auto jams in a fracas, you MUST NOT PANIC, but must fix the beast and make it run, quickly!

Hopefully, you are seeing that being proficient with a firearm for self defense is a long term commitment, similar to martial arts. If you have a lethal confrontation, your adreniline level and fear will rise to the point where you have the strength of three men, but the coordination of a three year old! Your cognitive brain will go away and you will live or die based on what your reactive brain has learned by practice. At that time, you will be unable to tie your shoelaces! Fine motor skills also go away. You must train, train, and train more.

I train Armed Civilians to be aware of their surroundings, and avoid/evade/escape the bad guy. If you cannot get away, then all rules are out the window and you are in self defense mode. If you are in fear of IMMINENT (means right now!) threat of serious injury or death, then AND ONLY THEN is lethal force appropriate.

For now, find and shoot with folks with guns of the type you are interested in, or go to a good indoor range and rent them. Shoot both types before you buy. Listening to most gun store employees will not be in your best interests.

I have been shooting and training for decades and I like the Smith 640 for civilian carry, and the Glock for professional carry, or for those willing to go the extra mile with training. Remember, the auto pistol is bigger and is more likely to be left at home or in the car when you are dressed lightly.

I prefer a belly band for my carry, which works well for the small revolver. It is the ESSENCE of discrete carry, and is still quickly accessed.

When you get ready for your training to begin, get back on this forum. There are some good trainers here. I am only one of several.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I carry a Sig P229 IWB in an MTAC. My first purchase for CCW was to buy a real gun belt. I happen to own a Rafter S., but there are other equally good ones from other quality leather shops such as http://www.thebeltman.net/ . I can not stress enough how important a quality gun belt is. As far as what YOU should carry? I can't tell you, but I will say that it needs to be what YOU are comfortable shooting. Beg/Borrow/Rent as many guns as you can shoot before making a purchase so that you can make an informed decision.

Guest radarme

I carry a Colt Combat Commander IWB. I wouldn't feel comfortable with an OWB holster. I would recommend a good gun belt... just seems to keep everything from shifting around so much... maybe I just have more to shift :woohoo:. Good luck in your quest for the perfect carry rig.