Road Rage Incident

Guest db99wj
yeah...i can read....and i wasnt bashing the OP....hence the statement i made about being OFF TOPIC.

I see what you are saying now, even with you saying off topic, it still appeared that you were referring to the OP. A typical off topic conversation evolves, yours just jumped right out there. Sorry for the confusion.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see what you are saying now, even with you saying off topic, it still appeared that you were referring to the OP. A typical off topic conversation evolves, yours just jumped right out there. Sorry for the confusion.

No worries....s**t happens....:screwy:

Guest Sgt. Joe

I learned a long time ago that anytime I let another driver cause me to do something with my vehicle that I would not have otherwise done I have basically given that other driver control of MY vehicle.

Now I am not talking about braking in order to not hit some fool who cuts me off but more so the ever present tailgater....If I speed up then that person has taken control of my actions, if I hit my brakes I have let that other driver make me do something that could lead to a actually crash.

The answer to tailgaters is simply to do nothing, let them tailgate until they figure out a way around me. I will move over from the left lane of course but folks here as we all know will tailgate you in the slow lane even if you are running over the speed limit already.....simply ignoring them or washing the windows is all I will ever do. I will never let another driver take control of my vehicle or emotions.

In the OP's case DA Tiger did the right thing but I can sure feel his frustration....still any further confrontation with that other driver could have led to a much more serious, maybe even deadly situation.

Edited by Sgt. Joe

Addendum: okay, I also washed my windshield a couple of times when he didn't slow down and was seriously about to ram my car from behind. I never tapped the brakes, this jackarse was just too close. If I had touched the brakes, he and I and that 18 wheeler are headed down the embankment. Perhaps the windshield washing was over the top, but I had already made eye contact with him in the rearview several times and there was nothing but rage in this guy. Pounding his fist on the dash and screaming. All of this before he ever passed me in the emergency lane.

Maybe it's like someone posted earlier, he had a sick wife, or child he was trying to get to the hospital to see. But I would expect him to at least turn on his hazard lights if that was the case.

Lots of good input. Thanks to all who responded. I admit this guy did get to me and as Sgt Joe said, I shouldn't have given him that much power.

Guest Tygarys

That area is not place to be making crazy moves, I'm surprised he didn't cause an accident with that move.

Me, I simply just slowly slow down on these guys, until they finally get the hint and go around. I've had people follow me all the way down to 25mph in the 70 zone on 40 before finally hitting the left lane and passing. Don't know why they just don't go around in the first place.

Guest jg45
So no one else here has a rear bumper mounted oil slick dispenser or hideaway rocket launchers behind the headlights? I guess that I'm the only one here tactically prepared for tail-gators."

I have several times tried to think of a way to mount a high velocity paint ball dispenser on my vehicle with remote control aiming via camera just for these kinds of situations. :rolleyes:

Guest jackdm3
I carry defensive spray for when I'm pissed....I will spray the piss out of someone in an instant.

Shyeah! That's what Skunkslayer said!

I want a bumper sticker that says "The closer you follow, the slower I'll go!"

I've become a lot more tolerant and forgiving of people on the road since getting my hcp.

The bumper sticker I really like, but probably isn't smart to put on my car is "Keep Honking, I'm Reloading".;)

tailgaters suck I drive a truck for a living and the best way to get rid of em is to back off the accelerator and slowly decrease your speed they will get out from behind you soon enough.If they tell you your number one just smile and wave .

and for a public service announcement dont ever "draft" a big truck ever seen those recaps laying on the side of the road if one goes while your behind it it could be the last thing you see 30lbs of rubber coated steel coming through your windhield can really mess up your day .

Guest Sgt. Joe
tailgaters suck I drive a truck for a living and the best way to get rid of em is to back off the accelerator and slowly decrease your speed they will get out from behind you soon enough.If they tell you your number one just smile and wave .

and for a public service announcement dont ever "draft" a big truck ever seen those recaps laying on the side of the road if one goes while your behind it it could be the last thing you see 30lbs of rubber coated steel coming through your windhield can really mess up your day .

+100 I drove for four years.

Also ALWAYS observe the "If you cant see my mirrors I cant see YOU" it is very true, if you get too close and then pop out to pass the driver may or may not see you in time if he needs to change lanes fast.

And since TDOT put their new cable barriers right darn near on the road on I-40 you have NO grass to use to avoid a collision...I needed that grass once not too long ago and with out it, it would have been a really bad day.

I feel they should have left at least a lane wide area between the road and the barriers. The way they did it also impedes Emer. Vehicles in a bad crash from another route to get to it. I believe they were needed but not fully thought out before being placed as they are.

I also find it funny that since I put the Iraq' Freedom tags on my van I have far less tailgaters. It seems they get close and then back off quick. I guess they think we are all crazy, in my case they are right but that dont mean I am stupid. Yet it does seem to make a difference.:clap:

And since TDOT put their new cable barriers right darn near on the road on I-40 you have NO grass to use to avoid a collision...I needed that grass once not too long ago and with out it, it would have been a really bad day.

Sgt. Joe, I agree that those cables may keep a few people from successfully avoiding a crash, but I think they're worth their weight in gold when it comes to their intended use. They put them there to keep vehicles from crossing over into oncoming traffic and hitting another vehicle head-on. When I was going through school to be a crash reconstructionist, they were talking about putting them up. Looking at the data I saw, I have faith that those cables will save many lives over the years to come.

Guest db99wj
Sgt. Joe, I agree that those cables may keep a few people from successfully avoiding a crash, but I think they're worth their weight in gold when it comes to their intended use. They put them there to keep vehicles from crossing over into oncoming traffic and hitting another vehicle head-on. When I was going through school to be a crash reconstructionist, they were talking about putting them up. Looking at the data I saw, I have faith that those cables will save many lives over the years to come.

That's great to know. I figured that is what they were for and why, but never heard anything about them. That is something that needs to be advertised a little more.

Yep. Just like guard rails, they are designed to "break away" at the impact point (but remain intact over the length of them) to help decelerate the vehicle instead of just stopping it instantly like a brick wall would. I used to see guard rails that had been hit that were jacked up and think that they failed. Little did I know, they are designed to give way. Sudden stops do quite a number on your internal organs.

Last year, I was driving to work and this guy in a mini van comes roaring up behind me. I'm cruising at 65 with heavy traffic in my lane (middle) and boxing traffic to the right and left. Hey, it's rush hour... enjoy the ride right? Well this guy just goes freaking ballistic on me. He starts waving his arms, pounding the dash and screaming at me. I can tell this because he is literally 12 inches off my rear bumper. I wash the windshield... liberally. OOOOO, he's madder than hell now! lol My right foot hovers for a second over the brake pedal and then I think better of it because he's obviously not paying attention and his reaction time will be too slow. So I just try to ignore him. But I can't help it. I love watching him rant and rave. I start to chuckle... then belly laugh. Just the sight of this 40-ish guy going ape tickles me somehow. Traffic eventually clears on my left and he whizzes by me, making all kinds of friendly gestures, to amuse the guy 20 feet ahead.

You have a nice day now... hear? :stunned:

People are downright funny sometimes.

That joker is still doing his dead level best to get killed, I made the mistake of getting in front of him last week.:panic:

What about motorcyclists? The first place I heard had these was Australia. Motorrad deaths went up and there has been a call to remove them.

What about motorcyclists? The first place I heard had these was Australia. Motorrad deaths went up and there has been a call to remove them.

Haven't seen any data related to motorcycle fatalities and these. I hope they don't increase due to these cable devices. I know that an unusually high number of deaths on interstates are the result of a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic. The DOT has a tough job of deciding what measures to implement. If you project that you'll save the lives of 30 motorists a year, but the cost is 5 motorcyclists' lives, I guess you have to go with the lesser of two evils. BTW, I just pulled those numbers out of my rear end - I don't know what, if any, projections they may have. The point I am trying to get at is that it can't be an "easy" decision, but I hope and pray it works out to the benefit of everyone.

Haven't seen any data related to motorcycle fatalities and these. I hope they don't increase due to these cable devices. I know that an unusually high number of deaths on interstates are the result of a vehicle crossing into oncoming traffic. The DOT has a tough job of deciding what measures to implement. If you project that you'll save the lives of 30 motorists a year, but the cost is 5 motorcyclists' lives, I guess you have to go with the lesser of two evils. BTW, I just pulled those numbers out of my rear end - I don't know what, if any, projections they may have. The point I am trying to get at is that it can't be an "easy" decision, but I hope and pray it works out to the benefit of everyone.

I could be 1 of 5 :P Then what would you guys do without me?

I will have to say that my carry permit has been the best thing for my road rage. Nowa days when someone is giving me that look for my defensive driving (whether it be "go to hell" or "screw you buddy") I resort to blowing them a kiss and smile like they are the cute little 5yo they are acting like. Now that'll piss a red neck off! :P

Guest Glock23ForMe

Going back to my old "Saving A Parking Spot Thread". I have realized that my HCP keeps my head a little cooler in some situations that would normally, have me very upset. I think of it as my duty to you guys (and girls) and all the other HCP holders in TN to keep my head on straight and not do anything stupid, as long as you all promise to do the same.