Road Rage Incident

This happened yesterday and I'm still simmering.

On my way to work driving my company car N/B on I-240 approaching the E/B I-40 exit/connector when this red neck from Mississippi driving a little red pick up starts riding my bumper. I'm in the far right lane and there's an 18 wheeler to my left. I've got nowhere to go. Speed limit is 55 and I'm already doing 65 but apparently it's not enough for this guy. He's swerving behind me like he's in some sort of Nascar event and as we get to this major curve with the 18 wheeler and me in the two lanes merging onto I-40 this dumb ass shoots to the right of me in the emergency lane and passes me in the curve almost forcing me to hit the 18 wheeler. I'm honking and looking at this guy like WTF? He flips me off and pulls over right in front of me, then takes off.

My first instinct is to catch up to him and invite him to pull off at the next exit and discuss what a poor driver he is and how I can recommend he stay his country ass in Mississippi until he learns to drive like a civilized man.

Then I quickly realized how badly this is going to play out. I'm packing in a company vehicle. Even if we just pull over and go to fist city, someone will eventually call the law and then I'm jammed up for who knows what. Worst case scenario he's on something and when he gets out, he realizes I'm a little bigger than he is and he reaches for a tire iron, etc and I shoot this dumb s.o.b.. Now, my whole day is ruined and in all likelihood my career and I'll spend everything I own defending myself for shooting someone in a road rage incident. The Comical Appeal will use that bad picture from my driver's license and put me on the front page as an example of why people do not need carry permits.

So I take my foot off the accelerator and slow down to 65. I pull off at the next exit and go to the gas station and buy a bottle of water. The adrenaline dump was huge. I finally made it to my office but didn't mention it to anyone. I then left to go on some appointments. For about two hours, this was really bugging me, then I relaxed a little and tried to move on.

The moral of the story for me is this is really the first time since I've had my permit that I've come this close to a scrape. You really do have to think things over a little more if you're carrying, which is something I never did before. In a way, it's sort of emasculating having to just wave at a guy like that and let it go to prevent it from escalating to something more.

Sorry to blab on, but I really needed to get this off my chest. Maybe if someone else has had something like this happen you can tell me how you handled it differently.

Oh, yeah. The guy's license plate number is some sort of MS specialty plate but the numbers are 1885. If you see him, give him my best and tell him he's still number "1" with me.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rsgillmd

Memphis Tiger, you did the right thing and you know it. Similar incidents have happened to me in NY. The best thing to do is just let it roll of your back.

Lets say you had both pulled over and you beat him up in a fist fight. Is that really going to make you feel better in the long run? No. Will this guy have learned his lesson? Probably not. In fact he may even go to some unethical lawyer and sue you for assault or something like that. You may end up paying his psychiatrist's bills to treat his PTSD. :usa:

Emotions tend to cloud judgment. Enjoy the positive emotions. As for the negative emotions, try to stay objective. Then, when you can, release the pent up energy in a fun way by puching holes in targets. :rolleyes:

when this type of stuff happens to me on the road I always try to tell myself that the other guy's wife or Mother must have been rushed to a hospital and that is why he is going at breakneck speed. Seems to help me let it all go.

I get aways from maniacs on the highway. The further away from me they get the better I feel.

Guest That Guy

Carry a defensive spray. I carry a handgun for when I'm scarred. I carry defensive spray for when I'm pissed....I will spray the piss out of someone in an instant.

The best thing to do when being tailgated? Move over and let them tailgate the guy doing 40 in the fast lane. Both of the bad drivers get annoyed even more, and you just get to watch and laugh.

Seriously, good call letting it go. Life's too short to get upset over stupid stuff.

Carry a defensive spray. I carry a handgun for when I'm scarred. I carry defensive spray for when I'm pissed....I will spray the piss out of someone in an instant.

I do. My brother is LEO and he provides me with 1/2 empty cans of Freeze from his department. I carry a can with me on the driver's door pocket at all times, along with an expandable baton. I was a reserve with the Sheriff's office years ago when the stuff first came out. We had to get sprayed with it during in-service in order to be qualified to carry it. It will literally have you slingin' snot for an hour after your eyes stop waterin'.....

Thanks for all the replies. I knew deep down it was the right thing to do. I was just having one of those RC Mercer moments. "How big a boy are ya?...

Ya did the right thing. Pull over and let these guys go on; and dont let them make you mad. You may get to see them crash up the road. Never get in an arguing, gesturing, or "trick driving' contest whith these clowns. You are much safer when they are ahead of you (...as others have wisely posted...). Never let em drive beside or behind you (...on your bumper...).

Let 'em go on.

Kind regards,

Leroy

You did well. These MS folks are gettin' a little out of hand. And they are EVERYWHERE. I'm all for some sort of toll booth at the state line. :D

A MS specialty tag with 1885 in it, huh? I'll keep my eyes open.

I rarely have the same issue in my company car. And if I do, I've got a form for it... :D

Guest rsgillmd
You did well. These MS folks are gettin' a little out of hand. And they are EVERYWHERE. I'm all for some sort of toll booth at the state line. :D........

No!!! PLEASE!!! No toll booth. I'm guessing you are partially joking. One of the things I love about the south is the lack of toll roads. Once you apply a toll, it will never go away. If they say it will, they're lying. Take a look at the NJ Turnpike as an example. The tolls there have just gone up, not away or down.

If you give government a steady source of money, they will take use it. If me and you are facing a budget crisis, we control our spending. We generally don't take out loans to fix a budget crisis. The government will just raise the tolls or borrow from anticipated toll income, and take credit for not raising taxes in general. I'm not a very political person but I am alert enough to have seen this cycle play out repeatedly in the past.

Guest rsgillmd
A friend of mine used to say that in back of you, a bad driver is a threat.

In front of you, they are entertainment.

I can't a symbol for two thumbs up. So:

:D

Driving ambulances in the past honed my defensive driving skills better than any class. So I definitely like the wording of your friend's quote.

No!!! PLEASE!!! No toll booth. I'm guessing you are partially joking.

Of course I am joking. I don't really want a toll booth between TN and MS. I prefer a wall. Kinda like the one they have in China. :P

Don't drive mad. Don't drive while on the phone. Try to pay attention to what is going on around you and understand that there are a LOT of folks on the roads that are in their own worlds and don't give a hoot about anything but themselves. Realize that you cannot control them and keep yourself safe.

One final thought... Cigarette butts are litter too. Don't throw them out of your car or on the ground around you!

A friend at work has taught me that when someone is right on your bumper s the best time to wash ones windshield. Several doses and they usually figure it out.

The road rage seemed to be on your part, just chill there are too many idiots on the road to get riled and consider openening a can of "WhupA$$" on the interstate.

Guest Daelith

It's a shame you didn't get his license number and contacted the police about him. If he was doing this to you, he was doing it to others. Needed to be pulled over. Best that you didn't confront him though...not matter how tempting it was.

You did well. These MS folks are gettin' a little out of hand. And they are EVERYWHERE. I'm all for some sort of toll booth at the state line. :cheers:

A MS specialty tag with 1885 in it, huh? I'll keep my eyes open.

I rarely have the same issue in my company car. And if I do, I've got a form for it... :P

I'm guessing you must be MPD? If so, you know that the south end of the interstate from 385 Junction to the 55 Junction has become a freaking autobahn out there. You have to drive 65 in the slow poke lane to keep from getting run over. The worst offenders always seem to be the folks from MS. I'd love to see more enforcement, but I know you guys are always swamped.

My brother is LEO with Bartlett. I used to be a reserve with SCSO. I appreciate what you guys do out there. Thank you for your service to our community!

Guest rsgillmd
It's a shame you didn't get his license number and contacted the police about him. If he was doing this to you, he was doing it to others. Needed to be pulled over. Best that you didn't confront him though...not matter how tempting it was.

But can they do anything unless they catch him in the act? I was about to call the police on one dangerous yahoo in NJ, but was stopped by my partner. He said the cops can't do anything unless they witness a problem themselves. The odds of you knowing exactly where he is going to be in a given moment in time are low. You would only be able to direct them in a general direction. So my partner's argument was that I would be wasting resources.

You did the right thing.

The rules change when you are carrying a gun. I’m not getting in a fight while I’m armed, and I’m damn sure not pulling off the road in a road rage incident. My freedom is more important than a bruised ego.

I would be pissed for a couple of hours though. :P

Guest 6.8 AR
You did the right thing.

The rules change when you are carrying a gun. I’m not getting in a fight while I’m armed, and I’m damn sure not pulling off the road in a road rage incident. My freedom is more important than a bruised ego.

I would be pissed for a couple of hours though. :D

Agree

I would have been too mad to get a tag, but if i had I would have called the

cops. It's maddening, isn't it? You did the right thing, anyway.