Memphis "Wally World" Question

Guest rsgillmd

Guest rsgillmd

I haven't made the official Wally World walk yet. I live on Mud Island. I know there is a "Super" Walmart in West Memphis, AR and one on Germantown Road in Cordova. Do any Memphians on here know if any of them sell ammunition? I never looked for it specifically. Are there any other ones I should look into?

It would be nice to go shooting to burn off some stress. Range Master has cheaper ammunition than Range USA but Range Master has courses this weekend. It doesn't make sense to drive out just for ammunition.

I moved here from NJ last July so the concept of ammunition in a Walmart is still a bit strange to me. I hadn't even thought about concealed carry until December when my colleague raised the topic. Hey, if you've been in a cave your whole life it takes some time to adjust to the light.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

Let your hoarding commence!

I gotta think you'll find it in AR, doubt it on G'town Rd and I KNOW you can get it when it's in stock on Goodman Rd, in Horn Lake, MS.

Call them all and ask for "Sporting Dept."

Edited by jackdm3
Guest jg45

The Super Walmart on hwy 64 across from Wolfchase carriers ammunition, but it is hit or miss if they have it in stock. When they get it in, it goes very quickly.

Guest rsgillmd

Thanks guys. I like the idea of calling and asking for the sporting department. That way I won't have to waste a trip. Hopefully I won't waste too much time sitting on the phone either.

I have a Sig P229 in .40 caliber. Hopefully being a relatively common caliber it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Thanks again.

I haven't made the official Wally World walk yet. I live on Mud Island. I know there is a "Super" Walmart in West Memphis....

I don't think a Wally World Walk in Arkansas officially counts as the maiden voyage.

- OS

Most any Wal-Mart around here will carry ammo; they may be out of certain flavors, however. I was at the Wally on Gtown Pkwy earlier today, and they had plenty of .40 and 9mm, as well as any kind of rifle and shotgun ammo you want. I don't believe they had any 9mm hollow points.

If you think Wal-Mart having ammo is odd, you should have been here a few years ago--they all used to carry handguns, and I once saw an M1A at the Germantown store!

BTW, the Raleigh Wal-Mart on Austin Peay is probably your closest store if you don't want to cross the river.

Guest rsgillmd
Most any Wal-Mart around here will carry ammo; they may be out of certain flavors, however. I was at the Wally on Gtown Pkwy earlier today, and they had plenty of .40 and 9mm, as well as any kind of rifle and shotgun ammo you want. I don't believe they had any 9mm hollow points.

If you think Wal-Mart having ammo is odd, you should have been here a few years ago--they all used to carry handguns, and I once saw an M1A at the Germantown store!

BTW, the Raleigh Wal-Mart on Austin Peay is probably your closest store if you don't want to cross the river.

Thanks Deerslayer. I'll call the Austin Peay Walmart first. I'm assuming prices will be similar between stores. Is that correct?

Guest rsgillmd
Since it hasn't been said, welcome to Tennessee! I hope you find the many differences between this state and NJ to your liking overall.

Thanks for the welcome StPatrick. Trust me, I very much like living in TN. I would not move back to NJ.

I was in NJ this past weekend for a cousin's wedding. While it was nice to see many relatives I hadn't seen in a long time, I was reminded of one of my reasons for moving out: the traffic. I've only been stuck in real traffic two times in Memphis: 1) when I foolishly started to drive down Front St. to go home on an afternoon when there was a convention and 2) waiting in line to see the Christmas lights at Shelby Farms. Otherwise it may slow down but you are at least still moving.

For what it's worth....I work down in the south part of town and the Super Wally World on Elvis Presley and Holmes just north of State Line Rd. seems to always have ammo. Last time I was there, they had three boxes of .380 in the 100 rounds of WWB. They also had plenty of 9mm and 40mm. The .45 acp seemed to be a low, but otherwise, they are a place I stop at least once a week just to check in.

Guest rsgillmd
You need to already have some boolits and have them in the gun before you go shopping there. LOL

Memphismason and others, thank you for your advice. I did the walk earlier this afternoon. I went to the Walmart on Austin Peay. It didn't seem too bad during the day, but my gun was loaded.

They had .40 caliber FMJ in 50 round boxes of Federal for $13.97 and then added a $.10 "ammo fee" whatever that is. There is a little sticker on the box in green and white that says "State of Tennessee 10 cents," so I'm guessing it is a state fee. I don't know if other places charge this fee and just build it into their costs. Still it was slightly cheaper than Range Master and Range USA reloads. It comes out to a little less than 31 cents/round.

I bought two boxes and promptly used one box at Range USA.

I had bought a 5.11 shirt that was on sale. It came the other day. It's a little bigger than I'm used to wearing untucked, but really hides the gun compared to my regular shirts.

I also got a pair (?) of Dickies pants and two boxes of Coke cans. The guy stocking the boxes was looking straight at me but did not say anything. So either a) my gun didn't show when I bent to pick up the box, :rolleyes: the guy mistook it for something else, or c) he didn't care. But that little incident helped build some confidence that I can carry concealed.

It was funny. When I was walking out one of the workers asked to see my receipt. She looked at and said, "Ammo and Coke, a good combination!" That gave me a good laugh.:usa:

...added a $.10 "ammo fee" whatever that is. There is a little sticker on the box in green and white that says "State of Tennessee 10 cents," so I'm guessing it is a state fee.

Yep. State ammo tax. You'll find it anywhere ammunition is sold. Some places work it into the price, others add it on. The good news is that it's per box, so when you buy the 100 round or 250 round value packs, it's still just 10 cents.

The guy stocking the boxes was looking straight at me but did not say anything. So either a) my gun didn't show when I bent to pick up the box, :lol: the guy mistook it for something else, or c) he didn't care.

He was probably trying to figure out why yours looked like it may be in a holster and not just tucked in your waistband like everyone else there. :devil:

Congrats on the WWW. Once you get used to carrying, you won't even think about it.

All of it goes directly to TWRA, as I understand it, so I don't begrudge it much.

- OS

That's my understanding as well, OS.

I don't wanna complain about 10 cents anyway. As many antis as there are in the world, we could have a much worse tax.

Bass Pro off I-40 and Macon. They usually have something in the usual calibers. Decent prices.

RangeUSA usually has Orange box (Tenn. Cartridge) at decent prices. They're technically reloads but they are good.

Bet you think you died and went to gun heaven getting out of the People's Republic of New Jersey? TN's gun laws aren't the best, but they're better than NJ's, that's for sure.

It was funny. When I was walking out one of the workers asked to see my receipt. She looked at and said, "Ammo and Coke, a good combination!" That gave me a good laugh.:devil:

Admit it, folks here in the south are friendlier, even when you're buying ammo at the Wal-Mart. Heck, half the people leaving that store probably had some combination similar to yours. Ammo and _______.

Guest rsgillmd
That's my understanding as well, OS.

I don't wanna complain about 10 cents anyway. As many antis as there are in the world, we could have a much worse tax.

It didn't really bother me, but it is nice to know where the money is going (TWRA).

Between school and residency and then losing half my money in a divorce, I lived on a tight budget for a long time. Comparison shopping is an old habit. Having done the per round calculation will allow me to comparison shop online ammunition purchases. I'll also check out Bass Pro as you guys recommended.

Guest rsgillmd
It was funny. When I was walking out one of the workers asked to see my receipt. She looked at and said, "Ammo and Coke, a good combination!" That gave me a good laugh.:D

Admit it, folks here in the south are friendlier, even when you're buying ammo at the Wal-Mart. Heck, half the people leaving that store probably had some combination similar to yours. Ammo and _______.

People in the south are definitely friendlier. It was visiting my uncle in Georgia that put the south on my radar. I ended up in Memphis because the group made me a better offer than Emory, and I liked the people better. It has definitely been worth it.