New Gun, Or Not?

Guest CK1

Guest CK1

Thinking of picking up a new gun... or not.

I've been concentrating on only shooting the same one handgun (G17) for the last few months and it's been paying dividends, my speed, accuracy, reloads, grip, etc. have all improved and I've ironed out many (not all) of the kinks in my technique... instead of focusing on the "Arrow", I've been focusing on the "Indian" so to speak.

I recently got a Wilson Combat CQB back from Wilson for the third time and promptly sold it to a friend without breaking the tie-wrap they put around their trigger's as it hasn't been as reliable and trouble-free as I'd expect an almost $3k pistol to be and since I don't reload I didn't shoot it that much anyway as I can shoot twice as much 9mm as .45ACP for the same money.

While I haven't had the best luck with them, a nice single-action trigger is a thing of beauty and as much as I love Glocks, it only takes one pull of a nice crisp SA trigger to get the gears in my head turning and for the itch to get another to return... they just feel plain awesome, and they're just far easier to shoot well with much less work.

Now, as any of you guys who frequent TGO know, I tend to be one of the few resident 1911-bashers as I've only owned one reliable one out of four different one's that I've owned (the cheapest one too, an RIA Tactical that saw a bit of love from Sam Hoster out of Complete Gun Shop in Gallatin), and I've watched 1911 after 1911 mess up at various area IDPA matches while in some very skilled shooter's hands, enough to where I've wondered out loud whether or not they can truly be run as hard and as often as any run of the mill combat-tupperware specimen.

That said, I'm still thinking a 9mm 1911 might be in my future (although, after reading various goofball's around the gun boards whine and ramble over minor finish blems or who's finish is "purdy" enough, who's checkering is too sharp or not sharp enough, how "handsome" their grips are, who's got MIM parts or not, etc. while spending remarkably little chatter on how well the guns actually perform beyond just bench-resting 'em for a whopping 150rds or so put the bad-taste right back in my mouth concerning them...), except I want one that runs and runs and can handle being shot A LOT, filling the dual roles of an EDC and an IDPA gun.

Another option is picking up a Witness Elite Match, as I've owned one before in the past and they're a known quantity to me as they are as accurate as Wilson's and Baer's at a fraction of the cost, have fantastic triggers and can be detail-stripped and worked on nearly as easy as a Glock, problem is, particularly in 9mm, their mags can be headache-inducing and run terribly, although supposedly a new design that's just been released cures the old one's ills by relocating their mag spacers to the rear of the mag body ala STI/SVI's...

Or finally, should I just say "F**k it" and buy a pile of ammo and just stick to keeping it business only with the G17?

I'm the rare breed who isn't interested in starting a small armory, I simply am just not into the collecting aspect of firearms and simply want to shoot the crap out of the few guns I hold on to... I'd prefer to have one gun that works every time and hits where I want, I've got other hobbies like high-end audio gear, musical instruments, real estate interests, and kids and vacations that frankly require tall sums of money that I'd rather indulge... and if I want something to wrench on it'll be an old Ducati or Triumph Cafe Racer thanks...

So, what should I do? 9mm 1911 (and which one: narrowed down to either an STI Trojan or Spartan in 9mm or maybe a Springfield "Loaded" in 9mm)? Get another Match 9mm and chance the mag issues again? Or just get ammo and keep on keepin' on? Decisions, decisions...

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the Hi Power. But if you ever detail stripped one you might think twice about having if for a competition gun. Just changing the hammer spring is a real PITA. You have to drive out a pin for the ambi safety and it helps to create a tool that will hold the hammer back after you remove the sear. I imagine you can find something on youtube that will show you what I'm talking about. Everything else is on there.:tinfoil:

For a 1911 in 9MM, I'd say the Trojan. Don't personally know anyone who's had the Springer 9. Nothing wrong with beating the heck out of your Glock either.

Apparently, Henning has been testing the new Witness large frame magazines and had some great results. We'll see on that one.

I have a Hi-Power, and it's nice enough, but not the end-all be-all that some people want it to be. And I remember someone writing (maybe in Front Site?) that there was a reason no one shoots the Hi-Power in competition, but one reason in USPSA would be you're stuck shooting minor unless you want to put a comp and scope on it and shoot Open with some super SAAMI-testing ammo.

Mac

BTW, my vote is to buy ammo and put another 50k down range. It is never the arrow it is always the indian (a better arrow helps but that glock is a very good arrow). In the mean time go and try as many guns out as you can. You are welcome to try my 2011's I'm sure you can try my buddies 9mm trojan. I think the spartan only comes in 45. A CZ is a good option too there are a couple of those over at NTPS too. Don't know anyone with a witness right now, but I have shot them a good bit and a buddy of mine was sponsored by them for a while.

Guest 10mm4me

CZ-USA -> CZ 75 Tactical Sport

CZ.png

Get a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. I've always wanted one. I think a CZ 75, in some form or another, will be my next handgun purchase. It is a classic, reliable, accurate design with the SA trigger u desire. Granted the first pull will be DA but that's ok.

Guest CK1

Great insight guys, thanks.

Mac, think I may wait a little longer to see what the real feedback on the new mags is from the Tanfo crowd... it's a little early to jump back in with both feet until I know the problems are all fixed.

Tim, thanks man, I'm going to definitely make it to one of the NTPS matches and take you up on shooting one of those 2011's, they're just too cool to resist at least looking at. I was thinking about the CZ in SA, I love they way they feel, but I've never shot one that didn't have a touch of hammer-camming or squishy pre-travel and most of the really good one's have had their FPS removed which is a no-no in IDPA, besides, I've stripped one before and shall we say, once is enough... the Hi-Power looks even worse as far as that goes from what I've dug up thus far.

Looks like I'm leaning towards just sticking with the Glock at this point, maybe I'll spoil myself and get a lightened extended tip striker so I can reliably run a reduced power striker spring with off the shelf factory stuff, all the big boys run the reduced power striker springs for the better trigger but they can get away with them by sticking to Federal primers or sticking to their same match ammo which is a luxury I don't have... it's probably worth the 80-100 in my case (of course I'll be able to afford to order quite a few cases of federal fmj with the new gun funds as an option too... just can't beat those wally-mart prices though).

CZ.png

Get a CZ 75 Tactical Sport. I've always wanted one. I think a CZ 75, in some form or another, will be my next handgun purchase. It is a classic, reliable, accurate design with the SA trigger u desire. Granted the first pull will be DA but that's ok.

I have a CZ P01. It's NATO Classified like the G17. They may be the only two. Ultra reliable and shoots great.

Guest CK1

CZ.png

Was considering that one too... They had one at Guns and Leather a while back and it had the best trigger in the whole shop, they're single-action only which is what I want... again though, not sure exactly about the TS, but the CZ's are tricky clockwork on the inside.

Guest bigbovine

I do not know about the STI 1911 in 9mm but have givin serious consideration on a used one at the store in Joelton. That being said, I have owned the Springfield Loaded and currently own the EMP both in 9mm. I loved and never had any problems out of the loaded until I used the Kimber magazines. I did have sevearal magazines from Tripp research, Excelent mags by the way. I love and have no problems (like everyone else claims) with the EMP, though I wouildn't use it for competition.

CK1,

I'm a big 9mm fan as well as a 1911 fan and that leaves few good options IMO. I've thought about the yet to be released 9mm Dan Wesson Guardian (the GBOB). However, first year of a new model is kind of like cars. I tend wait for year two and the problems are hopefully ironed out. I may wait on that GBOB until next year.

If I was in a hurry, and especially for competition, I'd probably lean heavily towards STI.

Hard to beat a Browning Hi-Power! It was like it was made for my hand! I miss mine. It was a great pistol. Love to catch the guy that broke in and stole it. I'd beat the S@#T out of him!

IMHO, what does mastering one gun without knowledge of others get you?

In a bind when the Zombies come, that's where. :tough:

I really like the idea of a 9mm 1911 but talk about myths of reliability issues, they are off the chart. Want a 1911? Get it in what it's intended for...45 ACP.

Need another 9? Hi-Power or CZ 75 is the way to go.

Guest CK1

Still undecided, but as a tentative plan I think I might just buy a few cases of ammo to give me some time to maybe luck out and score a used STI Trojan (though I may never find a used one as it seems everyone who's got one isn't parting with it).

No need to get another G17, because frankly, it's a freakin' G17... I've got a little zip-lock baggy of spare parts that I got for like $10 total on closeout from OMB Express a while back, and unsurprisingly, I haven't needed a single thing (and probably never will). Having a spare isn't a bad idea though I guess (though the G17 is pretty much universally considered the most reliable pistol on the planet), but if I get another Glock it'll be a G26 which uses the same mags and works with the same holsters, they pop up used now and then and when one shows up that's a good deal, I'll snag it.

As far as not being familiar with other guns, don't worry about me, I know a little more than just which end the bullets come out (the Glock isn't the first or only pistol I've ever owned)... come to think of it, I may have one of the most expensive G17's in exsitence if one were to add up all the hits I've taken on trading in gun after gun only to always arrive back at the Glock, I've owned almost every H&K, M&P's, Sigs, FNH's, Steyr's, Beretta's, you name it... if it was worth trying I probably tried it, then lost $100 or more trading it in to get back to owning a Glock...

Edited by CK1