Moving a Safe HOW ??

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

How do I move this safe ??????

I am having a Stack-on Elite 45 gun safe delivered tomorrow. The shipping method states I have to get it off the truck and in my house.

The safe is 43"W x 26"D x 59"H and 751 lbs.

I have one small step to go down on my walkway from the driive way and I have a small lip to go up into the house.

Thanks,

J

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends on how high the truck tail gate is I think. When I moved mine in the house it was in my pick up truck bed and laying flat. It also had a pallet bolted onto the bottom.

If it has a carboard box around it I would leave the box on until you get it in the house.

For your sake hopefully the truck has a tommy lift on it. If so you can probably walk it off the lift gate (shimmy it back and forth) and then use a dolly to roll it into the house.

If no tommy lift lay it flat on the backside and edge it toward its balance point. Once you get a little past the balance point gravity will take over.

Your safe weighs about 300 lbs more than mine. If I was you I would get a refridgerator dolly and have a buddy help you keep it balanced. If it is on a pallet I would advise leaving it on until you get it near its final resting place. The pallet will help keep it stable should you lose leverage on it.

Once you are ready to roll over the threshold on your doorway I would be rolling it backwards and keep up a head of steam to help you get over it. If possible maybe remove the threshold. A small bump with that much weight could be a real sticky situation.

750 lbs is a lot of weight to deal with. Be very careful and take your time. Good luck.

Guest bkelm18

Here's what you do, pick a spot of lawn you don't want anymore, preferably near the house, lay down a slab of concrete, place safe on said concrete, then build house around said concrete. Bang. Done. :stunned:

Guest jcramin
Here's what you do, pick a spot of lawn you don't want anymore, preferably near the house, lay down a slab of concrete, place safe on said concrete, then build house around said concrete. Bang. Done. :stunned:

LOL I was really hoping to have this whole project done TODAY

J

Guest jcramin
let me know when and i will send my girlfriends mother(shes a heifer)the only problem now is how to get her out of the truck!:stunned:

LOL strap it on her back and just let carry it in ????????????????

J

We moved a GSX-845 yesterday.

If you dont have a lift gate or fork lift, you're pretty much screwed.

These things are big and heavy! Yours will come on a metal pallet, which I suggest you keep the safe on until it reaches the final destination.

**I dont know who you purchased your safe from, but when you purchased it, they should have asked you if you have a way to get it off the truck.

They should have offered the option of a lift gate equipped truck for an extra 50-75 dollars. (at least thats what we offer our customers)

Good luck! (you're gonna need it.)

This is one of those things you really should have figured out before you ordered the safe. Safes are very difficult to move. I've moved five and never want to do it again.

The last time I rented a U-Haul truck with a ramp and a refrigerator cart. It still wasn't easy.

My father and I used a piano dolly (maybe it was an appliance dolly?) and it would have been impossible without it. That having been said my safe was smaller than 700lbs. I'd say try to contact some of these individuals that move pianos, etc. Goodluck, I'll be corssing my fingers for the tommy lift or lift gate on the delivery truck for you.

Guest jcramin

WELL. LOL I didnt do any updates because the truck was a lil late.

Bottom line is the delivery truck didnt get to my house till 7 last night. Sorry no pics it was too dark.

It was pretty un-eventful. Had me and 3 other guys, pallet jack, and a big dolly ( NO BLOW UP JOKES HERE PLEASE LOL ).

Used the pallet jack to get it down my driveway to the walkway where we had one step to go down so we put it on the dolly to make it down the step down the walkway and up one step into the house.

Once in the house set it down on a piece of carpet and a large blanket on the hardwood floor and it only took two people from there to slide it down the hall on the hardwood into the bedroom. Once in the bedroom and off the piece of carpet and blanket, I was able to slide it around myself and put it into place.

SO all in all pretty un eventfull once the truck got to my house.

BUT WOW it sure looks nice.

J

Guest jcramin
So now you know. Go to jcramin's house go to his bedroom with a piece of carpet and a blanket and you two can own a nice gun safe. Bring a couple of guys to get it up the drive way.

Nope actually that wont work. It will be mounted to the floor and built in so that it can not be removed without heavy equipment. Once done this safe will not be moving with me when I move.

J