Toyota Land Cruiser

Has anyone ever owned one?

Loved one? Hated one?

I am seriously considering picking on up, a buddy has driven it and knowing him it has had regular service and such. He has to get rid of it, and I am thinking about picking it up. I hear they drive forever and obviously they are used in some pretty rough and tumble areas of the world.

oh and by the way its a 99, which is fairly hard to think of as more than 10 years old. But I like to buy them 10 years old and run them till they absolutely cannot move another inch.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have owned several "real" Land Cruisers (FJ40) and several of the last "good" Land Cruisers (FZJ80)

The 100 series vehicles are great vehicles, although less capable of hardcore offroading like the older models.

• Admin Team

First car was a 1977 FJ40 that I bought when it was sitting under a tree in Florida. Great truck. Unstoppable. Drove it all the way through college and then some.

I loved the double doors on the back, and the fold down jumpseats. I also loved that you could practically stand in it if you needed to work on it. Not crowded under the hood at all - man I miss that.

A well-maintained Toyota will last forever but that Land Cruiser has a big gas tank and it's thirsty.

Just something to consider.

+1 to that. Around 12-13 MPG in the city.

I owned a lexus lx470 which is basically a 100 series land cruiser. Very quiet and comfortable but when you get over 70k miles start planning on replacing starter or starter brushes (starter is under the intake manifold and is around $1k to fix) and timing belt (around $1k). Our lx470 automatic steering wheel adjustment broke twice to the tune of about $800 each time but I dont think that the standard land cruiser has that.

Gas mileage isn't a huge deal for me, I won't be driving a HUGE amount, and won't be making a cross country trek with it.

Also, unless there are more floods, i don't plan on much offroading with it (i have a '69 Bronco for that good stuff)

I don't like the sound of a 1k stater fix... I believe it has 89K on it, and he said other than the little stuff it has never needed a major fix, so that might be something that is on its way.

Gas mileage isn't a huge deal for me, I won't be driving a HUGE amount, and won't be making a cross country trek with it.

I don't like the sound of a 1k stater fix... I believe it has 89K on it, and he said other than the little stuff it has never needed a major fix, so that might be something that is on its way.

They can do the timing belt at the same time they do the starter so that will save you some money. Have a look at some of the land cruiser forums for common problems with the 100s. Overall reliable trucks but they have a few gotachas. A 99 model with 89k miles sounds like a REALLY nice truck. If you decide to pass on it send me the guys phone number :P

I'm betting it was a 2003/2004 4Runner. They had some problems. Particularly the V6 models.

It was actually a 91' with very low mileage. I had to have the engine completely rebuilt and other misc items kept breaking as well.

It was actually a 91' with very low mileage. I had to have the engine completely rebuilt and other misc items kept breaking as well.

That's odd. I had a 1998 4Runner and it was rock solid reliable. Had it for 8 years and it never spent a day in the shop (outside of routine maintenance). I miss that thing. Never should have traded it. :(

I guess you got a bad one. Even Toyota turns out lemons now and then.

I was hard on vehicles when I was young. Not sure about your driving habits, but I wouldn't swear off them just yet.

I looked at an FJ a few months ago. I ended up getting a 4 door Tacoma cause I like to haul dead animals around.

If you have a good deal on it, old or new, and know the owner then I wouldn't hesitate getting it.

like a lot of folks (i assume) who post for advice on here, or ask for advice from anyone, i probably had my mind made up ahead of time and the land cruiser will be mine!

but of course thank you for the advice, always appreciated.

Guest Moody

If you're looking for a Landcruiser, you'll want to stick with the 4.5L inline motors, from the 90's. Those trucks are rock-solid, reliable, and even though they get crap fuel economy, they will never let you down, and parts are easily replaced. If you have any other questions about Toyota I6's and V8's, you're welcome to PM me. They're kind of my *thing*.