Which Carry Weapon ammo round do you prefer?

Guest johnsonc22

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought federal hydroshock 147grain in 9mm only because the guy at the gun shop said that was his best seller. Is it a good round or should I try a smaller grain bullet.

Hydrashok in and of itself is a very outdated bullet. It clogs pretty badly form everything I've read. It was cutting edge 20 yrs ago but has since been surpassed. Not that it's bad, but there are better rounds out there.

The speed of technology is kinda why these discussions never end. 147g used to have problems due to low velocity, but it appears the manufactures have overcome those deficiencies. This is the same reason you still get guys who will swear up and down the 9mm is vastly inferior to a .45. They are basing it on military studies of FMJ from WWI.:lol:

• 1 month later...

Whatever I can get.

Federal 38sp. low recoil personal defense 115gr JHP.

Federal 45ACP 230gr JHP.

Black Hills .357 125gr SJHP.

It ain't as important as people might think. It's more important to be able to put rounds on target.

.45 caliber full metal jacket. I reload 200 grain but I'm just as happy with 230 grain... As long as it goes bang, I'm happy with it.

Full metal jacket, simply because the .45 is a relatively slow moving round and I'm not very worried about over penetration. I DO however expect it to hit like a sledgehammer.

I agree with willcarry though, when shooting someone it's all about where you put the round.

remember what the Colonel said: speed is fine..accuracy is final.

Edited by towerclimber37
I don't think snake shot is a good idea, but does anyone carry a frangible round to ensure you don't shoot through someone and hit the person behind them or do you think a JHP is enough?

There is maybe one or two and I hope they changed their minds after the same question was presented in other threads. The likely hood of a JHP passing through and having enough left to do anything is extremely remote. Heck most defensive rounds have trouble with several layers of clothing much less several layers of clothing, body, several layers of clothing, more clothing, and then still penetrate deep enough to do harm in the second body. Missd shots are of vastly more concern. The fragible rounds really only have a place in high velocity rifle/shotgun rounds and then usually only for specific LE/Military tactical purposes.

..... or think of it this way. Do you really want a bullet guaranteed NOT to work like a couple hundred years worth of ballistic data deems necessary to take down ONE threat?

Guest Knightsr25
no reason at all to shoot a snake in TN.

My mother in law is 76 and uses a cane. She happened across a copper head last week right outside her trailer. It hit at her cane, she did not freak out or anything. The snake went its way and she went hers. No death was involved. Unless the snake is very aggressive leave it the heck alone. they do way more good than harm,.

If you have to shoot to kill make sure it is something you cannot work around.

Dont forget killing snakes is illegal in TN. Wouldnt want anyone breaking the law.