Which Carry Weapon ammo round do you prefer?

Guest johnsonc22

Guest johnsonc22

Again, I carry hollow points...Trust me I understand the problems and advantages of a hollow point and snake shot. I keep the snake shot round chambered so it only takes 1.2 seconds to kick out that first round and fire a hollow point (i timed myself). I got the rounds a few days ago and well I just put them in to carry them to try them out. I have no problems with not having them I just wanted to know and know if anyone carried multiple rounds. I am surprised though I didnt see anyone carrying Glasers or rounds that are similar in fashion? I was surprised to see so many hollow points and no glasers.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 3 9mms loaded with either 124 grain Gold Dots (G19 and G26) or 147 grain Hornadys G17). I don't believe in magic bullets so any quality JHP is fine by me. I have PDX in my LCP because that's the only .380 JHP I could find.

I've thought about carrying 1 round of snake shot, but only for hiking in the woods where I might see snakes.

Edited by JReedEsq

I've thought about carrying 1 round of snake shot, but only for hiking in the woods where I might see snakes.

Can't you please simply walk around any snake that hasn't already run away from you?

- OS

Can't you please simply walk around any snake that hasn't already run away from you?

- OS

Yeah, probably so, and I absolutely would prefer that option. Only thing is lots of times I've got my toddler in a backpack which my wife conveinently puts all our food in also. I've spent a ton of time mountain biking, trail running and hiking without fear of anything. In my current setup, however, I'm just not that agile and I can't move that quickly away from any threat. A friend of my wife's was bitten by a poisonous snake a few years ago so I know it can happen.

Guest johnsonc22

Hey screw walking away from a snake.....I would never walk away or run away for that matter. I has walked out my front door and seen a copper head and a rattle snake just waiting....as if they were wanting to talk about you got first bite.

Hey screw walking away from a snake.....I would never walk away or run away for that matter. I has walked out my front door and seen a copper head and a rattle snake just waiting....as if they were wanting to talk about you got first bite.

I guess the cottonmouth and the coral snake were on break.

- OS

no reason at all to shoot a snake in TN.

My mother in law is 76 and uses a cane. She happened across a copper head last week right outside her trailer. It hit at her cane, she did not freak out or anything. The snake went its way and she went hers. No death was involved. Unless the snake is very aggressive leave it the heck alone. they do way more good than harm,.

If you have to shoot to kill make sure it is something you cannot work around.

Guest 1817ak47

mine are a mix of 115 and 124 speer gold dot 9mm. will soon order gold dot 115 +p cause high velocity helps hps do there job better from what I have heard vs slower heavier rounds. and 9mm give me plenty of extra rounds for multiple enemies

now my real prefereence is the 40, might change soon, but when I bought my 9 40 was almost as pricey as 45 and 40 wasn't as common then.

fyi IMHO one shot stop is unrealistic. I have shot number smaller varmints including nuisance wild cats, possums, racoon, squirels with both 22 lr from a rifle and 20 ga scattergun, and animals under 10lbs are often not "stopped" in the first shot especially when ther are a moving target.

no reason at all to shoot a snake in TN.

My mother in law is 76 and uses a cane. She happened across a copper head last week right outside her trailer. It hit at her cane, she did not freak out or anything. The snake went its way and she went hers. No death was involved. Unless the snake is very aggressive leave it the heck alone. they do way more good than harm,.

If you have to shoot to kill make sure it is something you cannot work around.

Well said Mike. Most people will kill just any snake. By the way I like Rem. 125 gr. JHP in my .357.

Don't worry about me guys. I have no intention of shooting a snake or anything else unless it's an absolutely unavoidable. Only reason I brought up the snake shot is to point out that if I were to carry a round of it I wouldn't count on it being effective on anything larger than a snake.

I guess the cottonmouth and the coral snake were on break.

- OS

The Cobra had taken them out to dinner at the time. :usa:

All joking aside, the snake wants even less to do with you than you want to do with it.

Guest oldsmobile98
I don't have to read the thread to know that what people choose is not from firsthand experience. It is internet hyperbole or something they read about in a gunrag.

Haha ... this man knows what he is talking about.

Seriously, the people here who have actually seen/caused gunshot wounds will probably be able to give you the best advice.

Last time I carried my .357 Magnum revolver, I believe I had 125-grain Fiocchi semi-jacketed soft points. It's just what I had left over from shooting with my cousin.

I'm planning on getting some of these soon. 125-grain JHPs.

DoubleTap Ammunition

Whatever you choose, test a couple mags, and make sure those particular rounds are reliable in your gun, like somebody said earlier.

Hope you find your solution.

Edited by oldsmobile98
I don't have to read the thread to know that what people choose is not from firsthand experience. It is internet hyperbole or something they read about in a gunrag.

That said, nothing is better than JHP flavored in .45 auto. Choose whatever brand you want. I don't think it much matters.

So who exactly would qualify for input then? Very few LE have FH knowledge and then it is only the department round. Military can't say becasue they have zero FH experience with modern hollowpoint design. so we are left with gelatin test and reports in which we all have access to. So I guess you could say we who have internet hyperbole, gunrags, and LE data have the only real data available.:D

However the few FH accounts we have discounts your "nothing is better than JHP in .45 auto." Marshall and Sanow/Fairbairn and Sykes addressed that many many years ago. :D

Guest Chandler

Well no one has mentioned type of metal with the grain. I have some brass rounds that proceed after my copper hollow points for the deformation of the metal characteristics, is this not a valid issue in this issue?

Guest David865

I bought federal hydroshock 147grain in 9mm only because the guy at the gun shop said that was his best seller. Is it a good round or should I try a smaller grain bullet. I googled self defense ammo and this is the first page that came up.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

The guy absolutely hates 147 grain ammo for the 9mm. This is what he wrote if you don't want to read the whole thing.(I don't know who wrote this but surely it can't be that bad.)

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

Bad 9mm Loads to avoid (and certainly NEVER carry). Numbers given:

Federal Gold Medal 9mm 147 grain JHP (9MS)

Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)

Winchester 147 grain 9mm Silvertip Subsonic JHP (X9MMST147)

Winchester 147 grain 9mm Super-X Subsonic (XSUB9MM)

Remington 147 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM8)

Remington 147 grain 9mm Golden Saber JHP (GS9MMC)

Remington 140 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM7)

Remington 88 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM5) This bullet is far too light.

CCI Lawman 147 grain 9mm PHP "Plated Hollow Point" (3619)

I bought federal hydroshock 147grain in 9mm only because the guy at the gun shop said that was his best seller. Is it a good round or should I try a smaller grain bullet. I googled self defense ammo and this is the first page that came up.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

The guy absolutely hates 147 grain ammo for the 9mm. This is what he wrote if you don't want to read the whole thing.(I don't know who wrote this but surely it can't be that bad.)

Now it is time to impart some crucial information: NEVER use 147 grain ammo in a 9mm pistol! There was a stupid fad for 147 grain hollowpoints a few years ago, and many were suckered into buying these weak, worthless and malfunction-prone rounds. I don't care what you've heard: never use any 9mm hollowpoint heavier than 125 grains. 147 grain hollowpoints often jam in many popular 9mm guns like the Browning Hi-Power, SIG, Beretta 92, S&W and Glock. Ignore the gun magazine hype and stick to what works. If you want to gamble, go to Reno. Don't gamble with your life. 147 grain ammo sucks.

Bad 9mm Loads to avoid (and certainly NEVER carry). Numbers given:

Federal Gold Medal 9mm 147 grain JHP (9MS)

Federal Hydra-Shok 9mm 147 grain JHP (P9HS2)

Winchester 147 grain 9mm Silvertip Subsonic JHP (X9MMST147)

Winchester 147 grain 9mm Super-X Subsonic (XSUB9MM)

Remington 147 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM8)

Remington 147 grain 9mm Golden Saber JHP (GS9MMC)

Remington 140 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM7)

Remington 88 grain 9mm JHP (R9MM5) This bullet is far too light.

CCI Lawman 147 grain 9mm PHP "Plated Hollow Point" (3619)

I've read that article a few times. It's interesting to note that the Winchester Supreme Elite is only offered in 147gr for standard pressure 9mm. I bought one box in 9mm (because I like them in .45ACP), but haven't tried them yet. It's hard to believe that Winchester would pick that weight for their top-of-the-line ammo if it didn't work.

I have read that much of the anti-147 grain 9mm talk is the result of some pretty old HP technology and that the newer stuff has more reliable expansion. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do think the technology has likely improved since much of that stuff was written.

I have read that much of the anti-147 grain 9mm talk is the result of some pretty old HP technology and that the newer stuff has more reliable expansion. I don't claim to be an expert, but I do think the technology has likely improved since much of that stuff was written.

Winchester obviously whittled on theirs. Note the difference in shape between the 147gr 9mm and the 230gr .45 ACP. My apologies for the crappy iPhone pic...

PDX1.jpg