Which Carry Weapon ammo round do you prefer?

Guest johnsonc22

Guest johnsonc22

There are so many opinions out there on ammo. I looked through threads and I am sorry if there is a thread already started like this. I want to know what rounds do you carry for your gun. I have carried CCI .40 S&W (snake shot) and Winchester Hollow points, Hornady....etc. I have carried plenty of different rounds, types, and loads. What do you prefer? and why.

I run Sonny's BBQ in Knoxville, TN and i have carried multiple rounds just to see what I would want to use. If I have customers in the store when (pray to God I didn't need to) I have to use my weapon for protection I would not want a round that was going to keep going and maybe injure someone. Or I have seen on TV ppl shooting at paperback books and not even making it through the first book. So Snake shot would be a waste. Just food for thought.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Currently carrying Federal HST 230gr +p in my Glock 30. If that's not available, Gold Dot or Golden Sabers will do.

Guest johnsonc22

Ok...I see alot of ppl say hollow points, Do any of you Mix rounds in your clip. Say a lighter and less aggressive round to a critical defense round. I have 3 different rounds in my clip...does anyone else do that? i went out shooting just to see how it would work and it seemed effective. (i know you want first round and down capability) I took CCI snake shot, then TAP round, and then a flat nose +p .40 S&W. I took out multiple targets to shoot at and it seemed to be well fun. the CCI peppered it, then the holllow point stopped it and the +p Made sure it was a gonner! So...after about 4 rounds I think I still am at the same conclusion.....i need to carry enough guns for each condition....LOL

I run Sonny's BBQ in Knoxville, TN

Some great responses so far. I just wanted to comment on another part of your post. Sonny's is my *favorite* BBQ. Best I've ever had by far. Had it a time or two when it was brought in for work meetings and such.

Thanks for being a gun carrying business owner who believes in the right to personal defense. I wish I could carry at work, but I guess that's the advantage you have when you run the place. :cry:

Guest bkelm18
Ok...I see alot of ppl say hollow points, Do any of you Mix rounds in your clip. Say a lighter and less aggressive round to a critical defense round. I have 3 different rounds in my clip...does anyone else do that? i went out shooting just to see how it would work and it seemed effective. (i know you want first round and down capability) I took CCI snake shot, then TAP round, and then a flat nose +p .40 S&W. I took out multiple targets to shoot at and it seemed to be well fun. the CCI peppered it, then the holllow point stopped it and the +p Made sure it was a gonner! So...after about 4 rounds I think I still am at the same conclusion.....i need to carry enough guns for each condition....LOL

There are far to many variables in self defense situations to where having different types of ammo in your magazine would be a not good idea, in my opinion. Lets say you have multiple attackers and you don't have time to pump 3 rounds into each person, maybe just one. That snake shot isn't going to do squat. I'd keep the gun loaded with all of the same type. That way there's no guessing "which round is going to shoot next and will it stop the BG".

Pretty much gold dots in everything. In my 357 sigs the bonded version, in 40 the regular but I do intersperse ball about every 3 for barrier penetration (probably dumb, I know). In 9mm gold dots in both regular and short barreled version (+p)

In my g26 and my wife's 9mm's are critical defense. It shoots just a bit softer and still seems to penetrate well...

Guest 6.8 AR

230 gr Golden Sabers here. I haven't tried Gold Dots.

Where is Sonny's BBQ? I'll have to try it next time I'm in Knoxville:D

Edited by 6.8 AR
add

Gold Dot loads from Double-Tap.

147gr for the 9mms

230gr for the .45s

In pistol calibers, FMJ ammo won't really penetrate construction barriers any better (meaning, to make enough difference to be effective), and snake-shot won't do anything past a few feet (like throwing sand in their face maybe)... if they are that close, I'm not wasting a shot on pissing them off.

Pick something you're consistent with, and is reliable in your weapon. Most common JHP loads will get the job done just fine if you do your part.

EDIT: Speaking of sand... has anyone ever heard of loading a shotgun shell with sand? I bet that would have an interesting effect, especially if you solidified it with some superglue or something it might act like a breaching round. Hmmm...

Edited by molonlabetn
Guest redbarron06

185gr (non+P) Golden Saber.

I have a couple of boxes of 185gr Critical Defense but will not carry it until they fix the set back problem for their 45ACP CD.

Guest 6.8 AR
Gold Dot loads from Double-Tap.

147gr for the 9mms

230gr for the .45s

In pistol calibers, FMJ ammo won't really penetrate construction barriers any better (meaning, to make enough difference to be effective), and snake-shot won't do anything past a few feet (like throwing sand in their face maybe)... if they are that close, I'm not wasting a shot on pissing them off.

Pick something you're consistent with, and is reliable in your weapon. Most common JHP loads will get the job done just fine if you do your part.

EDIT: Speaking of sand... has anyone ever heard of loading a shotgun shell with sand? I bet that would have an interesting effect, especially if you solidified it with some superglue or something it might act like a breaching round. Hmmm...

I wonder what it would do to the barrel?

Wrong mentality. Guns are designed to kill. Maiming or "winging" someone is for the movies where they can say cut or the bad guys explode from a .22 shot in the arm. If and when you shoot, you shoot to kill. If you are thinking otherwise you will be the dead one.

Whatever the local law enforcement is carrying.

this will quickly stop any prosecutor from labeling you as a crazed man killer because of the "savage" round that you choose.

your defense can state for the fact, that you, as a good citizen, carefully chose the same trusted round that those chosen to protect and defend the public carry daily in their sidearms.

Wrong mentality. Guns are designed to kill. Maiming or "winging" someone is for the movies where they can say cut or the bad guys explode from a .22 shot in the arm. If and when you shoot, you shoot to kill. If you are thinking otherwise you will be the dead one.

Sorry, but I take serious issue with your statement. Guns are designed to SAVE LIVES. And your objective in a self-defense shooting should be to STOP THE THREAT, not to kill. Maybe in military combat, but not in a civilian defense shooting. No freakin' way.

A jury finds out that your objective was to kill, and you're going to be getting to know your cell mate Bubba really well.

Edited by DaddyO