Stone River Liquors/Total Beverage

Saw the same sign on the board behind the cashier's head. Said something like it was illegal to carry weapons where alcohol is sold or served. Where do these people get these signs....ffr1910

Those signs USED TO BE accurate. It used to be against the law to carry where it was sold. A lot of gas stations still have those signs up here in Chattanooga. Has no legal standing at all as the law has been ammended since then. I think they just leave 'em up to act as a bit of a deterrant to robbers.We all know that is unlikely to change someone's mind who plans to rob the place, but few gas station owners have a degree in criminal psychology.....All it really does is annoy those of us who DO know the law. What are they going to do throw you out? Doubtful. But if they don't see your gun it doesn't matter anyways.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

amen to that Cruel Hand Luke. i see so many of these signs. one is Jay's Market on signal mountain road. that is on the food lion adjoining lot. i went in there one morning and told the stupid non american running it that the sign was illegal, the law has changed and i will be carrying just like i was then. he looked at me like i had lobsters crawling out of my ears. my favorite was i went into the Spur Station on dayton blvd. and was open carrying. the clerk looks at me and said you cant carry that in here! i asked why not? if your establishment is banning handguns where is your sign at giving patrons the chance to adjust? he remarked the Red Bank Police Department said so. i told him to call them and get an officer up there right then. he then told me to just cover it up. i left.

i have had enough of these places posting incorrect laws. i sent a nasty email to my city council woman telling her about these business owners using illegal signs and demanded that she do something about it. i havent heard **** from her. and that makes my faith in elected officials soar even higher.

Guest bkelm18

Maybe we should all carry business cards that have the web address for the states carry laws and some phone numbers of people who know the laws. Just hand that to whoever is hassling you and be on your merry way. No wasted time trying to explain anything.

illegal signs

Just to clarify, signage that is not worded correctly or that reflect and old law is

NOT illegal, mostly it is just insignificant.

And I believe it has been bkelm in the past who has mentioned when you shoot your mouth off at these businesses about their incorrect signage all you may accomplish is getting them to post correct signage and therefore making it illegal for you to carry in their establishment.

Why throw it in their faces? Leave a sleeping dog lie.

Guest bkelm18
Just to clarify, signage that is not worded correctly or that reflect and old law is

And I believe it has been bkelm in the past who has mentioned when you shoot your mouth off at these businesses about their incorrect signage all you may accomplish is getting them to post correct signage and therefore making it illegal for you to carry in their establishment.

I said that? Damn, you have a better memory than I, haha.:rolleyes:

+1000 I can't for the life of me fathom why gun owners want to help create more gun free zones.

I blame the state, they send out these signs for business owners to put up but when they changed the laws they made no effort to inform the business owners about the changes or tell them to remove the old signs. As a business owner it is in your best intrest to leave up anything the state tells you to put up untill told by someone from the state to remove it. I know we have some signs up that are from the 70's and I think they are no longer valid but I error on the side of caution.

Guest bkelm18
I blame the state, they send out these signs for business owners to put up but when they changed the laws they made no effort to inform the business owners about the changes or tell them to remove the old signs. As a business owner it is in your best intrest to leave up anything the state tells you to put up untill told by someone from the state to remove it. I know we have some signs up that are from the 70's and I think they are no longer valid but I error on the side of caution.

You know you can just call and ask.... better than having potentially invalid signs posted... I assume you are talking about signs other than firearm related signs.

There are better things to worry about than signs that have no legal weight at businesses. If you choose to open carry, and i do believe it is your choice, then be ready to be asked to leave a business if they notice your handgun. I've never had such a problem because i conceal except when taking part in outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, hiking) or target shooting. If you don't like the business asking you to not bring your gun and you like to openly carry, then find a liquor store that doesn't mind open carry.

There are better things to worry about than signs that have no legal weight at businesses. If you choose to open carry, and i do believe it is your choice, then be ready to be asked to leave a business if they notice your handgun. I've never had such a problem because i conceal except when taking part in outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, hiking) or target shooting. If you don't like the business asking you to not bring your gun and you like to openly carry, then find a liquor store that doesn't mind open carry.

I agree it is about that simple...other than I do hate to see improperly posted or worded signs and people who think they know the law and don't. Just a quirk I have...lol

It's true if you carry open you risk being asked to leave any place, even if they don't have a sign. ..and you have to leave otherwise it becomes trepass. The owner can even say something to the effect, "I don't want you to ever come back in here armed." Which would mean if you came back at any later point armed CC or OC you would be trespassing. (AG OP 07-148 questions 5 & 6)

That is one reason I have been leary of open carry in my small town, I could run out of places to grocery shop, bank etc....real quick..at least while armed.

I did not mean to start anything with my post. i apologize for posting my OC experience in the "concealed carry" forum.

ffr1910

You didn't start anything, It just that every OC comment starts the same oc VS cc:wall::(:wall::wall::wall: debate. It's funny for a while as long as it dosen't get too heated during the debate.

I wouldn't worry about it.:D

Guest Phantom6

The state itself fosters this ignorance of the law. It is a fact that in the video that we are forced to make our carry permit students watch it plainly and emphatically states- by two, not one, but TWO attorneys of the state of Tennessee by the way- that carrying a firearm in a place of business that sells alcohol is against the law. The law changed in 2000 and yet the Department of Safety refuses to upgrade the information that they require to be transmitted to the public. :DNow, in the student's mind the conversation goes something like this; "well if that's bunk then what else that they have been telling me is useless as well?"

Guest canynracer
I did not mean to start anything with my post. i apologize for posting my OC experience in the "concealed carry" forum.

ffr1910

naw this is just our nature...when new posts are slow, we seem to go back to the older debates...lol...they are fun...and it sets the grounds for really good future debates...see watch this!!!

:D so I had my Glock on my hip for all to see, (it was hot, so I wanted to be comfortable)..I was walking my happy pitbull without a leash, my dog saw some kids and wanted to play, so he began running and barking to them..yes I say TO them, he was saying "Hey throw the ball to me" (he is really a good dog, and I have TOTAL control of him)..anyway..some dude walks out and SHOOTS my poor playful pitbull:cry: I was SHOCKED that he shot my dog, i mean, cant he SEE I have a GUN on my hip???..now, I knew not to draw, cause his gun was already out...so I ran towards the guy, I got two steps in, and my Glock discharged, shooting me in the butt!!! its not the Glock...it was my fault, I shouldnt be running...I am so pissed at that dude for killing my poor dog, and causing me to shoot myself!!! that is ok though, I have a high powered rifle, and I KNOW his wife will check the mail, so ROUND TWO...:(

Guest Hyaloid
naw this is just our nature...when new posts are slow, we seem to go back to the older debates...lol...they are fun...and it sets the grounds for really good future debates...see watch this!!!

:D so I had my Glock on my hip for all to see, (it was hot, so I wanted to be comfortable)..I was walking my happy pitbull without a leash, my dog saw some kids and wanted to play, so he began running and barking to them..yes I say TO them, he was saying "Hey throw the ball to me" (he is really a good dog, and I have TOTAL control of him)..anyway..some dude walks out and SHOOTS my poor playful pitbull:cry: I was SHOCKED that he shot my dog, i mean, cant he SEE I have a GUN on my hip???..now, I knew not to draw, cause his gun was already out...so I ran towards the guy, I got two steps in, and my Glock discharged, shooting me in the butt!!! its not the Glock...it was my fault, I shouldnt be running...I am so pissed at that dude for killing my poor dog, and causing me to shoot myself!!! that is ok though, I have a high powered rifle, and I KNOW his wife will check the mail, so ROUND TWO...:(

LOL

Watch out, or Marswolf will start deleting your posts... apparently he does that in his sleep, so that not even HE knows he does it.

I very seldom delete posts,unless I need to delete users. :(

I think I'll go buy a Glock and a friendly pit bull, just so I can argue with myself. :D

[edit]

Have any of you heard the story of Braxton Bragg (after whom Fort Bragg is named) and his requisition. Somehow this reminds me of some of us here on this board.

From http://www.bookrags.com/Braxton_Bragg

There is a famous story about him as a lieutenant commanding a frontier post where he also served as quartermaster. He submitted a requisition for supplies, then as quartermaster declined to fill it. As company commander, he resubmitted the requisition, giving additional reasons for his requirements, but as the quartermaster he denied the request again. Realizing that he was at a personal impasse, he referred the matter to the post commandant, who exclaimed "My God, Mr. Bragg, you have quarreled with every officer in the army, and now you are quarreling with yourself!"