I survived the 2010 flood and all I got was this lousy thread!

Guest forklift

Guest forklift

OK, so I was glad to have the bugout bag ready to go. I escaped south and thankfully nothing happened to my home.

Let's hear your stories of using your survival gear during the recent flood!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got several gallons of water stored up. Not that KR Harrington his flooded out, water pressure in Donelson is very very low...the mayor is talking about possible shortages. The water treatment plants won't be back online for several days.

other than that the only thing I used was rain gear

Guest HvyMtl

I had no damage. Neighborhood is well positioned so there is no risk of flooding or landsliding near my home.

I found it quite interesting - the Mayor advised "no need to sandbag" against the Cumberland last night, and now major parts of downtown are flooding, including the stadium. Brilliant.

One of the two intakes for the city water system is shut down. This impacts Metro Nashville and Brentwood. They asked for all to cut their water consumption by 50%...

Went down to the local store and got some extra gallon jugs in case of critical shortage. I suggest you stock up and get cleaned up now. I think we are on the verge of a shortage...

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jamie

Hell, I survived the flood and didn't even get flooded.

The power didn't go off, and nothing happened with the water.

The only real problem was that there were certain places or directions we couldn't go.

We weren't even inconvenienced to the point of being cut off from the liquor store. :P

J.

Guest uofmeet

The only real problem was that there were certain places or directions we couldn't go.

We weren't even inconvenienced to the point of being cut off from the liquor store. :screwy:

J.

X2

Guest jackdm3

Sometimes I make insightful decisions. I bought my house with a standard conventional foundation on raised bit of land compared to the street and my end of the street is higher than the rest of the street. It would be a biblical situation to need a flood policy for my house. All the houses down the block WILL flood if anything gets heavy. They're lowly built homes in a basin of a street.

Guest Jamie
I had to grade my driveway with my tractor and boxblade after the rains.

Would you come do mine now? :death:

I didn't get flooded, but 13 inches of rain sure leave some nasty ruts when it flows downhill.

J.

Sometimes I make insightful decisions. I bought my house with a standard conventional foundation on raised bit of land compared to the street and my end of the street is higher than the rest of the street. It would be a biblical situation to need a flood policy for my house. All the houses down the block WILL flood if anything gets heavy. They're lowly built homes in a basin of a street.

I'm in a similar situation. My house sits on a hill on top of my street's hill. I'm so far away from anything that houses one block away would have to be completely submerged for my house to get even an inch of water.

Guest Jamie

Well, I survived the flood 2 weeks ago unscathed, but now my plumbing wants to get in on the act...

Took the dogs out this morning and heard an all-too-familiar hissing noise at the end of the house, just behind the foundation. ( There's an access door and vent nearby. )

Seems I get to play plumber later on this morning. :ugh::yuck::dirty:

... and I need to do it before the weekend rains move in again. :P

I tell ya, I'm seriously starting to hate water. :P:mad:

( This house has a long history of plumbing problems. Sometimes I think I've spent more time under it than in it. And this constant rain every weekend is really starting to drive me off the deep end. )

( Scratch that... I'm already in the deep end and am tired of treading water. )

Edit: Mission accomplished. Internal flooding terminated.

J.

Edited by Jamie

We weren't even inconvenienced to the point of being cut off from the liquor store. :wall:

J.

Nor were the locals near where I work...Rosa Parks north of the Capital building in Nashville was under approximatley 10-12 feet, and they still managed to hit the flooded liquor store. The water was knee-high, but sometimes a fella just needs a drink.

The first intrepid explorers crossed the high waters on a log, then used it to bust open the doors and get some badly needed flood relief. This was on Monday.

On Tuesday, more intrepid explorers managed to make the dangerous journey with a truck innertube they had procured, likely from their carefully prepared BOB (it's common in the projects to be prepared to fend for yourself, you know), and were also successful...until MNPD picked them up once they reached dry land. I wish my coworkers had taken video. They watched the whole process from the top of a two-story building.

That said, just because 1st hand eyewitnesses told me all this doesn't mean I believe it, although the liquor store was clearly broken into. IMHO, it's a fun story, but in this case, no pics = it didn't happen.