How do you guys store 1911's

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crunchman

So far, every mag I've tried (except for a couple of cheapie gun show "bargains") has worked in my Kimber. I prefer the Wilson and Chip McCormick brands.

Storage in the original case is fine, as long as you check it occasionally. Foam has a habit of retaining moisture. Keep it lightly oiled, check it every week, ans you'll be OK. My Kimber is always on my hip or on the nightstand.

Guest VolGrad

Those cases trap moisture. I wouldn't suggest storing it inside.

A temp/humidity controlled safe is best for storage. If you don't have that ... keep it well lubed and all metal covered with a thin layer of oil and put it in one of those silicon gun socks you find at Midway or Brownells.

Guest BEARMAN
Those cases trap moisture. I wouldn't suggest storing it inside.

A temp/humidity controlled safe is best for storage. If you don't have that ... keep it well lubed and all metal covered with a thin layer of oil and put it in one of those silicon gun socks you find at Midway or Brownells.

+1...You can also save those little white silica gel bags, that usually comes with new shoes, clothes and electronics etc.

They work great for moisture absorption.

Put 3 or 4 in your plastic gun case for short term storage...works great.

How do you guys store 1911's

Loaded and immediately accessible.

If you maintain it properly; it really doesn’t matter how you store it.

also it came with one mag what kind works best for that gun. Thanks

Kimber, Chip McCormick, Wilson.

Make sure you keep a light coat of oil on it....if you put it in a plastic box make sure you put some dessicant in it(lil silica packs)...you could also buy one of those cheap oil silicone cloths(~$3) and just wrap it around it while its in the case. A safe with a dehumidifier is your best bet however.

Guest mgjohn

I have several of the navy type of storage boards (hold 6,3 on each side)

that I put them in. They set in the bottom of the safe nicely.

Storage: In a humidity controlled safe when it is not in use. With a thin coat of lube. All my original gun cases are in a closet.

Mags: Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick, are always safe. Others that have worked for me are Springfield and S&W.