Free mail services?

Guest bigbovine

Guest bigbovine

Just read the post on the main page about no new accounts from certain services. Unfortunately I use one of these, which is why I guess I couldn't register on another forum the other day( was wondering what it meant, it stated the same thing without the explanation). Anyways, could someone explain what a free service is, because I pay for my AOL and I am on Dialup. There is nothing I can do about it, cannot get any high speed. What would be considered a good email service to use that does't charge, because I am not spending more money just for that.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigbovine

Yes dialup is all I can get, and nothing different in the forseeable future. That aside, I would like to keep my AOL Email account permenantly, No complaints and family is happy with how it works. What I would like is one of these "special accounts" so I dont have any problems like I would if I was just trying to register on TGO. And I can still use it if and when High speed ever decides to show up at my door.

P.S. That pic of my cat took an hour and a half just to put on photobucket.

Edited by bigbovine
add-on
Guest bkelm18

Look into Gmail. It's free and appears to be still accepted by most forums. Is broadband not available in your area? Have you looked into a mobile broadband card? Most major cell phone carriers have them now and they are much faster than dial up. I use one from Cricket Wireless. $40 a month and it works great. You need good cellular coverage in your area though.

Guest Glock23ForMe

The verizon wireless broadband is really good, but its like 69 a month, but its really fast and works everywhere that verizon does... gmail is the way to go

Guest bigbovine

As far as Cable or DSL, I have Comcast down the road about a mile and Charter about a mile the other way. Neither one will come my way. DSL, I know a guy at ATT and he laughed when I asked when it would be available in my area. I live in a broadband deadzone it seems, for I have seen Satellite Internet and refuse to pay the price for what you get. Wireless I have looked into through Verizon(Cricket doesn't even pick up here), but once again isn't worth it. I have experienced DSL at my wifes business, and dont care for the erratic performance but would take it over the others for the price. I would really do just about anything to get Cable Broadband. Thanks for the info regarding GMAIL. I will check it out. Are there any other services out there like it, or would it be like getting internet through ATT and having an ATT email account? Thanks.

Guest David865

I'm in the same boat as you, I havn't been able to get broadband in the last 10 years. I've had aol dialup up till about 2 years ago then switched to verizon. Verizon is about 65 total a month and you get around a meg down and half a meg up. The downside is it slows way down during the evening hours when everyone is using it. It is fast enough however with latency to play multiplayer games online and satellite isn't. Seems like our only hope is 4g.

LTE Information Center

As far as Cable or DSL, I have Comcast down the road about a mile and Charter about a mile the other way. Neither one will come my way. DSL, I know a guy at ATT and he laughed when I asked when it would be available in my area. I live in a broadband deadzone it seems, for I have seen Satellite Internet and refuse to pay the price for what you get. Wireless I have looked into through Verizon(Cricket doesn't even pick up here), but once again isn't worth it. I have experienced DSL at my wifes business, and dont care for the erratic performance but would take it over the others for the price. I would really do just about anything to get Cable Broadband. Thanks for the info regarding GMAIL. I will check it out. Are there any other services out there like it, or would it be like getting internet through ATT and having an ATT email account? Thanks.

Why?

How much are you paying for a home phone plus AOL?

Around 40-50 bucks combined?

Drop both of those and opt for internet through a dish.

Guest bigbovine

Why not get rid of landline? Because it is required of me to have. As far as AOL I only pay $10 a month. Once again, based on info from a friend who is in my same situation, dish is out of the question. For what you get the price is way too high. If I am going to pay those prices, I want something that blazes. The Verizon route gets mention because said friend has it and is "satisfied" with it, but I would not want to pay the penalty for overage on megabytes. As much as I detest dialup, I have decided that the cost of other options have not fallen down to the "Best bang for buck" catagory yet. So for now I guess I will spend the next few hours trying to look into GMAIL.

Guest mosinon

Wait, people a mile down the road can get broadband and you can't?

Can you get line of sight to their house? Are they friendly? If so you could set up a a few antennas and get the job done. I've built some for folks and a mile isn't too far as long as you have line of sight. I'd probably just offer to pay their internet bill or something in exchange.