AK 47 922r compliance question

Dad03

I just got a post ban Norinco AK 47 nhm 91 (with original bi pod) & 4 30 rnd clips.

The wooden thumb hole stock has been changed to a composite ATI AK handguard, forearm and buttstock.

Since it has the ATI gear do I need to make sure its inline with 922r?

It has the single hook FCG but not sure if its Tapco or stock? Is there a good way to tell who made the FCG?

From what I understand of the 922 regs if I need it changing the FCG to a Tapco will give me the required 6 (including the ATI stock)

If I can pull the $$ together he also has a 100 rnd drum for sale.

Should grab this or pass?

Thanks

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a good link for 922r

Gunwiki: 922® Worksheet for AK-47 Builds

Key is that the weapon can have NO MORE than 10 imported parts. Therefore, depending on the AK model sometimes you only need 5 U.S. made parts.

As far as the FCG goes, if Century Arms was the importer - - -they "might" have marked their parts with a small "c."

Check the gas piston also, it could be marked with "c" if its a CAI gun.

Edited by DMark
Guest bkelm18

Chances are if it were imported as an "assualt" style AK47 (not a sporter like Saigas are), it's already compliant.

Thats a good worksheet. I think it offers 1 less credit on the items than other sites I have seen.

My understnding of the 922r regs (I could be wrong):

If you take a post ban AK and attempt to change it to preban assembly then you need to meet 922r. According to the definition changing a post ban design to pre ban design is "building a gun". In other words if you had a post ban and did not change anything on the gun then 922r does not apply.

So the question needs to be is changing the stock considered building a gun. I can see adding a pistol grip & folding stock but does the ATI stock assembly trip this requirement. (see gun in avatar) The ATI stock has the hand grip integrated in the stock not a true pistol grip. (a regular stock with the center part removed). This stock does not change to overall length of the gun as a folding stock would.

From what I read from internet reviews it came with a 30 rnd clip. Where would be a reliable source to check?

Did any post ban AK's come with pistol grips? I thought that was part of the 'evil' parts and reason for the ban.

Anyone ever been checked?

Edited by Dad03
Guest KarlS

Look on the side of the trigger. It should say Tapco g2 if it is. The NHM 91 should be double hook. I have the same rifle and have not started to modify it yet. As posted by DMark the guwiki worksheet is a good tool.

Has your muzzle nut been removed? Some 91's had the nut tacked on and some the front FSB pin has to be driven out to remove the detent pin.

Guest KarlS

This is informative link on Chinese AK varients. This was passed on to me by a fellow TGoer. Pre / Post Ban Chinese AK47 Rifle Overview

I have 3 Chinese AK's and they are all double hook. The original triggers on these I hate to say are even better than the Tapco's IMHO. No way around it though once you start changing parts aroung the FTG is 3 easy ones.

Get the drum if it's Chinese or Polytech if you can afford it.

You will love shooting that!

Thats a good read.

Comparing the old stock and the ATI there is no functional difference. Just wood vs composite.

I hear its pretty accurate for an AK. What ammo works best in yours?

Guest KarlS
Thats a good read.

Comparing the old stock and the ATI there is no functional difference. Just wood vs composite.

I hear its pretty accurate for an AK. What ammo works best in yours?

I mostly use Wolf Brown Bear 123gr FMJ or Wolf military classic 124 gr sp. I have not messed around much with too many types yet as I've got plenty of these and they were cheap. Once I get done with my AR projects I'm going to have a shoot off to see which is the most accurate of the AK's I have. Should be fun.

Truth be known there is no way, outside of a stamp, yo know where something was made. Point being 922r is unenforceable. don't sweat it.

NOTHING is unenforceable where the BATFE is concerned. Even shoestrings are NFA items...:):)

.... 922r is unenforceable. don't sweat it.

Tell that to Tennessee Guns.

My understanding that it was 922r issues that forced TGI out of the AK business after the ATF paid them a visit last year.

big difference between BATF paying attention to a retailer or importer/distributor than them paying attention to a retail customer.

Anyone ever hear of a individual being prosecuted for a 922r violation.

big difference between BATF paying attention to a retailer or importer/distributor than them paying attention to a retail customer.

Yes. I recall reading a thread about a fellow who's fcg was causing doubling or something at the range and he was taken in. I was thinking it was here that I read it, but I can't find it.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=68590

Edited by sigmtnman
.... Anyone ever hear of a individual being prosecuted for a 922r violation.

Not that I have ever heard and it would have been all over the internet if it had ever happened.

I would think that once BATF got around to the 922r stuff it already would have some Big & Bad charges against an individual. The 922r would be just piling on for a press release about illegal weapons. :eek:

BUT, JUST FOR FUN - - - head over to any of the AK forums and say you don't worry about 922r. :cool:

Yes. I recall reading a thread about a fellow who's fcg was causing doubling or something at the range and he was taken in. I was thinking it was here that I read it, but I can't find it...

That is a completely different case of BATFE abuse, but it didn't involve 922r.

Guest DeadEye

I have heard and read of many instances where somebody had guns stolen and that when they were recovered, the AK's which were not 922 compliant were kept by police and not returned to owner.

But no charges were filed agains owner, but owner lost the gun/s!

Not that I have ever heard and it would have been all over the internet if it had ever happened.

I would think that once BATF got around to the 922r stuff it already would have some Big & Bad charges against an individual. The 922r would be just piling on for a press release about illegal weapons. :cool:

thats kind of what I though. My C&R stuff is orginal so I have no worries there.

It's my understanding of that law that there is no penalty for possession of 922r non-compliant rifle, only for assembling one for resale, which is a misdemeanor. I guess they could take the gun, though.

I'd say most common violation is getting a stock import Saiga and putting a hicap mag on it, something I've looked into myself.

- OS

It's my understanding of that law that there is no penalty for possession of 922r non-compliant rifle, only for assembling one for resale, which is a misdemeanor. I guess they could take the gun, though.

I'd say most common violation is getting a stock import Saiga and putting a hicap mag on it, something I've looked into myself.

- OS

Saiga's are probably the easiest to avoid the 922r issue. just to a basic conversion and unless you try to use non compliant parts your done.

.... I'd say most common violation is getting a stock import Saiga and putting a hicap mag on it, something I've looked into myself....

Hi-Cap really has nothing to do with 922r. Its where the mag is made.

For 922r a mag counts as 3 parts, follower, floorplate, body. You can use a U.S. made mag and get 3 parts for 922r, or replace the follower and floorplate on foreign mags and get 2.

Saiga's are probably the easiest to avoid the 922r issue. just to a basic conversion and unless you try to use non compliant parts your done.
Hi-Cap really has nothing to do with 922r. Its where the mag is made.

For 922r a mag counts as 3 parts, follower, floorplate, body. You can use a U.S. made mag and get 3 parts for 922r, or replace the follower and floorplate on foreign mags and get 2.

I meant using the straight import legal sporter version Saiga, no conversion of any kind. They come with a 10 round mag. It's my understanding that 922r doesn't allow you to simply add a greater than 10 round mag no matter where it's made. Isn't this correct?

- OS

I meant using the straight import legal sporter version Saiga, no conversion of any kind. They come with a 10 round mag. It's my understanding that 922r doesn't allow you to simply add a greater than 10 round mag no matter where it's made. Isn't this correct? - OS

If the 10 round mag is U.S. made that would be 3 of the U.S. required parts. If you put a Commie mag in it, now you would have 3 additional foreign parts. Number of rounds in the mag does not matter to 922r, only where it is made.

Yea, I know...., sort of dumb. :cool:

My understanding is you can't change a thing on a post pan gun without being required to follow the 922r regs.

Put a tapco T6 stock & remove the 10 rnd fixed for a 30 rnd mag on a SKS and it better be 922r compliant.

I could be wrong, won't be the first time.