National Parks and Wildlife Refuges

Sen. Mike Crapo has submitted a request that the Interior Dept. allow handgun carry in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges in accordance with the laws of the states in which they are located. This would be a big step in the right direction.

47 Senators cosigned the request. You can go to the NRA website for the details and read the letter. Follow this lilnk:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3319

Bob Corker signed it, but I did not see Lamar Alexander's signiture. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out why.

I don't know if it makes any difference but Sen. Crapo is from Idaho and the Sec. of the Interior who is able to effect this change is the former Gov. of Idaho.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be nice when the national park firearm ban is lifted one day. For now, many people must carry discreetly to protect themselves. Thankfully, as long as you are not in a federal building, you are only slapped with a small fine (speeding ticket price) if caught with a loaded firearm. Many of us will take our chances until this ban is lifted.

I went to Sen. Alexander's website and clicked on the "contact" and "email" links and submitted the following question:

Sen. Crapo of Idaho has submitted a letter of request to the Sec. of the Interior Kempthorne to change the rules regarding the carrying and transport of firearms in National Parks and Wildlife Refuges. The change would allow the Parks to abide by the rules of the States in which the Parks reside.

There were 47 Senators who cosigned this request. In the online copy of the request that I viewed I noticed that Sen. Alexander's name was not listed as a cosigner. Could you tell me if this was an oversight on the part of the poster or did Sen. Alexander really not sign the request? One of my main reasons for supporting Sen. Alexander was his strong statements on his Second Amendment Support; however, the omission of his name on this request by Sen. Crapo (which was cosigned by Sen. Corker) raises a flag for an issue that is very important for me.

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

You can write him from this link:

http://alexander.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Home

I also called his regional office in the Tri-Cities and left a message requesting info as above. I would encourage any and all members of this forum to do the same. Its possible there is a legitimate reason why he did not cosign this request by Sen. Crapo ( although I can't imagine what it would be given that 47 other Senators found time to do so ) but I think that Sen. Alexander needs to know that the Second Amendment Supporters in this State are watching to see how he represents us in D.C.

You can look up the phone numbers of his regional offices from this link:

http://alexander.senate.gov/index.cfm?FuseAction=Contact.Offices

<sniP>

47 Senators cosigned the request. You can go to the NRA website for the details and read the letter. Follow this lilnk:

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3319

Bob Corker signed it, but I did not see Lamar Alexander's signiture. I'm going to call tomorrow and find out why.

<snip>

This doesn't surprise me. Alexander has been weak at best on supporting our gun rights.

Well if one thing's for sure, it's that I'm glad my last name isn't Crapo.

Nonetheless, I'm glad this happened and I hope carry in parks is legalized.

+1

This law is just as dumb as the restaurant carry, IMO.

Sen. Alexander's staff person called me back after I called and left a message requesting explaination on why he did not sign the letter. She told me Sen. Alexander did not sign it because he thinks things have been working pretty well "as is" and he would not support a change unless the Dept. of Interior determined a change was needed.

While this rule change appears to be a step in the right direction (if it is approved) it may not be as beneficial as I first thought for those of us in Tenn. The rule change request is for the Parks and Federal lands that currently prohibit carry and transport through their areas to abide by the laws of the state in which they are located. As it is now, in Tenn. we are not allowed to carry in State Parks or National Forrests. In North Carolina you can carry in State and National Forrests but not in State Parks. So it looks like it will take changes in the laws of both states to allow carry in the Smokey Mountain National Park.

Out of curiosity can anyone site an incident where a firearm would have been beneficial to have in the SMNP. I am not talking about interaction with bears or hippos or anything of that ilk, but rather a bad guy incident.

We go there fairly often on day trips and I try to be aware at all times. I do a lot of people watching and it looks like a place for easy pickings there. Most people are looking at scenery or whatnot and not really paying attention to who is in their surroundings.

I was backpacking near the Abrams Falls trail when there was a stabbing at the Falls. Also, in 1997, there was a rape near the AT in Unicoi before the trail was relocated. One hiking guide cites the rape and immediately after states that there is no reason to carry a firearm on the TN part of the AT because the trail is absolutely safe, and there are laws against carrying firearms on the trail. Ultra concealed, I say.