flooding for dummies...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
As sad as this is, this storm is going to create plenty of work for some of us.

We sell/deliver flooring, tile, countertop, and many other decorative surfaces. We saw an increase in business after some of the more recent tornados, and I'm sure we'll see even more after all this water is gone.

I'm right there with ya. I think business at the orange logo'd home improvement store to pick up in the coming weeks.

The heights of stupidity . . . my street is underwater (live a few neighborhoods behind Lipscomb University) and it is raining so hard you can barely see the street. It is dark, thunder and lightening all around . . . and six guys out jogging . . .

There were people riding innertubes on the stuff yesterday in Bartlett. I guess they don't think about what all is in that water. Especially with there being so many "issues" with the sewer system in the Memphis area right now. :up:

We were in downtown Nashville over night and headed home around 9:00 this morning via I-40 East to I-840. Some other friends of ours used I-65 to get to Fayetteville.

We used the TDOT Smartmap site to plan our route this morning. We were pretty much rain-free once we got on 840.

Can't believe the TDOT Smartmap now. Looks like everything's flooded now.

Guest Glock23ForMe
There were people riding innertubes on the stuff yesterday in Bartlett. I guess they don't think about what all is in that water. Especially with there being so many "issues" with the sewer system in the Memphis area right now. :dunno:

Look, its a.... its a... its a..... ;) STICK!

Got out just a bit ago to go make sure the roads were clear down here, because my g/f has to go to work at midnight. I didn't think things would be bad because yesterday there wasn't much flooding in this area. I was wrong, and we were barely able to find a good route to town, and even it had a little water on it. Most of it would drain down by midnight I'm sure, but now it looks like there's a little more headed toward my area. There were two chicks in bikinis swimming in the ditch on the way in though. ;)

I can see what you mean. You would think they would be going over a list of road closures instead of just talking about areas that people already know are flooded, or areas where no one has to be driving through today anyway.

Lack of decent news coverage is why some of these people end up stranded in these high water areas before they even realize what's going on. Sometimes I think the media wants this though, so that they have a bigger news story to report on. "This area is about to be under water, but let's wait until some people get stranded in the middle of it and need to be rescued before we give our report."

So-called news reporting in Nashville (not to mention nationwide) has sucked for a VERY long time. Demetria Calodemous(?) is NEVER in on Sunday. She only came in today to get some face time before the camera.

Did you catch the guy on channel 4 sitting on his microphone? Very professional. ;)

So-called news reporting in Nashville (not to mention nationwide) has sucked for a VERY long time. Demetria Calodemous(?) is NEVER in on Sunday. She only came in today to get some face time before the camera.

Did you catch the guy on channel 4 sitting on his microphone? Very professional. :drama:

Yup. Seems like now they keep talking like the rain is over with as well, but it's still pouring down here. My sister is having to get their stuff together and head to my house now from Columbia, and they had almost waited too long to be able to get out of their house.

I got woke up this morning with a phone call from my inlaws in bellevue saying that they had gotten flooded in. By the time my wife and I made it to Nashville the water was already up to the second story of their house. I found someone with a boat and spent all day pulling people out of their second story windows. I would estimate that in the boats I was in we probably pulled out between 20-30 people. It was surreal to say the least. It was absolutly heartbreaking to see the people who had lost so much. Some of them just sat in the boat and sobbed on the way back to shore. Please pray for all of the people affected by this.

Edited by Mr. Brooks

My area is ****ed. We are just into williamson from Bellevue. Not going anywhere for a while. No power. Cell is spotty at best for Internet and I can't make calls. Texts take forever. Email the same. My neighborhood is flooded for a block past our outlet.

Where Sneed road crosses the Harpeth river is my outlet. It's flooded from Vaughn road to Old Natchez Trace.

---------------

I have tried to make that post since midday. We are pretty much an island out here between sneed and and the harpeth.

I want to ride my bike into town.

We just got to my in laws. We had to walk out of our neighborhood. Drive up the Natchez Trace to HWY 96 and then took Old Hillsboro Rd to sneed.

We drove an hour to get back around to like 2 miles from our house. They live in Laurel Brooke just on the other side of the Harpeth.

Guest mustangdave

My wife was one of the I-24 flood attendees...she'd been trying since 2PM that day to get home from Franklin where she works at a genealogy library...every route she took ended in water crossings...her last ditch move was to come down I-24...there was nothing on the boob tube or the car radio about Bell Rd being closed...until it was to late, and she was boxed in by semi's and other cars...abandoned the car and hiked home...about 2 miles looked like a wet mad cat...cars totalled (see the OBIT thread)...

I was out here in Bellevue for it, for the first day we were an island. No way in or out, some roads roped off with police caution tape, some entire neighborhoods at the bottom of hills flooded. I was able to pick up 40 from McCrory yesterday. I work for the Dominos in Bellevue and my district manager was actually pissed off that I was "making excuses to get out of work". I got pictures of blocked off roads, and somebody kayaking through the Publix parking lot. He still refuses to believe I was stranded, apparently I somehow fabricated what little news coverage there was, bribed police to block off completely legitimate roads, and made the Boone Trace, Lexington Point, and Riverwalk subdivisions that got all but washed away completely disappear. Not to mention the fact that his underling actually lied to me about road conditions to try and get me to come in the day before that. The instant I find another job I'm leaving that place.

I was out here in Bellevue for it, for the first day we were an island. No way in or out, some roads roped off with police caution tape, some entire neighborhoods at the bottom of hills flooded. I was able to pick up 40 from McCrory yesterday. I work for the Dominos in Bellevue and my district manager was actually pissed off that I was "making excuses to get out of work". I got pictures of blocked off roads, and somebody kayaking through the Publix parking lot. He still refuses to believe I was stranded, apparently I somehow fabricated what little news coverage there was, bribed police to block off completely legitimate roads, and made the Boone Trace, Lexington Point, and Riverwalk subdivisions that got all but washed away completely disappear. Not to mention the fact that his underling actually lied to me about road conditions to try and get me to come in the day before that. The instant I find another job I'm leaving that place.

It is that kind of manager that causes people to get killed in these situations. They make their employees think that they have no choice but to find a way to get to work, which causes people to take chances that they shouldn't be faced with having to take.

Personally I would submerge his head in the toilet there where you work for at least a minute or two to let him know what you could have been faced with had you tried to cross flooded roads.

My first thought was to drag him out to Beech Bend and hold his head under while I asked him if it was real now. Of course he was never actually at the store he was demanding I get to. People like him are the cause of sudden violent revolutions when left in charge of a country.