flooding for dummies...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 confirmed deaths so far. At least one man died while attempting to save a woman. Very sad.

Yeah I'm hearing more about the latest now. I know there are some crazy folks driving through high water that they shouldn't be in, but in alot of these cases these folks were caught off guard as the water came up quickly, and others may have been trying to get out of flooded areas or trying to get home to make sure their loved ones were safe. I was headed to my dad's a little bit ago, and thought everything would be clear his way, but still ended up having to turn back because the road he lives one was under water, and my rule is no matter what, if I can't see the road, I don't drive through it. I've never been one to drive through flood waters.

I spent 2 hours wading in the flood waters in SE Nashville trying to get my parents out of their home. Water got to within a foot of being in their home. We didn't know how high it would get and a guy in a Ram 4X4 was able to get to the house. They are both 83 and there was no way they could wade out. Thank God for the guy in the 4X4! And thank God that we are all safe tonight.

I have a much better perspective on how easy it is to drown in floods now that I was in that same situation.

Guest Glock23ForMe

From what I understand, TDOT closed the I-24 at Bell Road feed because that person died and didn't want to publish people pulling dead bodies out of the flood waters. I was supposed to go see my girl tonight and, ironically, her exit is the Bell Road exit, she called at about 430 and said "You're not coming tonight, I'm not having you die in this mess," and, reluctantly, I complied. But hopefully everything will be okay for tomorrow. I've looked at the RADAR all night long and it looks like there isn't much left.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

I've been up since around 5am and I haven't seen any rain coming down in the Donelson area since then. However there has been plenty of wind and rumbling.

Totally ridiculous. Once they found out that someone died the news caster said it 5 times in about 3 minutes. They just couldn't wait until someone finally dies.

Yeah, that ticks me off too. I was watching WREG this morning and they must have said "two people are confirmed dead" half a dozen times just while I was getting dressed. This time, it was tornadoes in northern Mississippi that did it, not flooding.

Interstate 24

lklklkj.png

Saw video of this rescue last night before I went to bed. They had to throw a rope to the guy in that red truck, which if I remember right from the TDOT camera that is one of the trucks that the portable classroom floated into. He could have gotten out at that time, because at that time the rescue workers were able to walk in the land where the boat is, and they were walking back and forth to see if anyone needed help. Maybe it's just me, but if a building floats into my truck, I think that's when I would get out of the area. News said the current was so strong they had to run the motor almost full throttle to be able to stay up against that wall.

As far as them taking the TDOT camera down, I'm pretty sure the last footage I saw on there must have been when they discovered that someone had drowned. There were several that had gone back out into the road there even though the lane was becoming really flooded, and you could tell they were really struggling with something and trying to move quickly. I think one of the rescue workers tried to go back across to tell the people on the other side to have the feed cut. Very sad to watch this kinda situation live like that.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I live in Murfreesboro, so it's all North of us and kinda moving North-North East. These news people are KILLING me. They complain about flooded roads and then don't tell you anything about flooded roads they just say, "Alexander Ford's parking lot is under two feet of water!" Well great, now I can't avoid that Red Light. I mean really?! Why not have some shots of 65 and 24 and Briley and try to help out people that have to move around today instead of showing us RADAR for 45 minutes about how its moving "DUE EAST (Retarded)" and all that mess.

I live in Murfreesboro, so it's all North of us and kinda moving North-North East. These news people are KILLING me. They complain about flooded roads and then don't tell you anything about flooded roads they just say, "Alexander Ford's parking lot is under two feet of water!" Well great, now I can't avoid that Red Light. I mean really?! Why not have some shots of 65 and 24 and Briley and try to help out people that have to move around today instead of showing us RADAR for 45 minutes about how its moving "DUE EAST (Retarded)" and all that mess.

I can see what you mean. You would think they would be going over a list of road closures instead of just talking about areas that people already know are flooded, or areas where no one has to be driving through today anyway.

Lack of decent news coverage is why some of these people end up stranded in these high water areas before they even realize what's going on. Sometimes I think the media wants this though, so that they have a bigger news story to report on. "This area is about to be under water, but let's wait until some people get stranded in the middle of it and need to be rescued before we give our report."

Guest Glock23ForMe
I can see what you mean. You would think they would be going over a list of road closures instead of just talking about areas that people already know are flooded, or areas where no one has to be driving through today anyway.

Lack of decent news coverage is why some of these people end up stranded in these high water areas before they even realize what's going on. Sometimes I think the media wants this though, so that they have a bigger news story to report on. "This area is about to be under water, but let's wait until some people get stranded in the middle of it and need to be rescued before we give our report."

Yeah... I mean, right now they're talking about how deep the Cumberland River is.... WHO IS DRIVING THROUGH THE CUMBERLAND RIVER?!?!?! If it's over the bridge, tell me about it, but otherwise, if the river is holding it, why tell me?

I've gotta make it into Nashville today and thank God I know that the Cumberland River is at 48 Feet and expected to be at 49 Feet by days end....

Rant Ends: What'd be the best way to get to Nashville from the Boro? I was thinking about 840 to Nolensville Road since where I have to be is right off of Nolensville... Any ideas?

I will check and see if I can get some info but I heard last night that the intersection of Harding and Nolensville was under water. I have a friend that has rental property about 1/2 mile west of there. She told me that the house has about 5 feet of water in it right now.

The TDOT site was doing a pretty good job of updating the main roads so you might try the TDOT Smartway site.

Guest Glock23ForMe
I will check and see if I can get some info but I heard last night that the intersection of Harding and Nolensville was under water. I have a friend that has rental property about 1/2 mile west of there. She told me that the house has about 5 feet of water in it right now.

The TDOT site was doing a pretty good job of updating the main roads so you might try the TDOT Smartway site.

Smartway is pretty much my homepage right now... It just didn't say anything about 65 and I have heard different things about it.

840 to 65 was clear this morning when i came home from work. nolensville rd is shut down in nolensville. flooded and impassable

Alright, that will be my plan of action then. My lady went home that way last night and said it was all pretty good that way. As long as Old Hickory is good, I'm home free because she drove the other part last night to get to Wal Mart to get some stuff just in case.... So (fingers crossed)... I need Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

Chitty.jpeg

Edited by Glock23ForMe

As sad as this is, this storm is going to create plenty of work for some of us.

We sell/deliver flooring, tile, countertop, and many other decorative surfaces. We saw an increase in business after some of the more recent tornados, and I'm sure we'll see even more after all this water is gone.

Guest Glock23ForMe

We sell/deliver flooring, tile, countertop, and many other decorative surfaces. We saw an increase in business after some of the more recent tornados, and I'm sure we'll see even more after all this water is gone.

Yeah, I mean, honestly it is pretty sad, but on the upside, if it weren't for companies like yours nobody could rebuild. There would just be houses demolished everywhere. From one standpoint its kind of troubling, but from a different one, I'm sure that those affected are thankful they're alive and able to rebuild their house..

And, I mean, it could get worse.... You could be a mortician....

We have been without power all morning. Flooding is unreal. The bridge at Sneed road and Sawyer bend is under water. I can't leave the neightborhood as it has one entrance that is at that bridge and it's under three feet of water.

Guest mikedwood

I feel for you all in the west middle area, but you all are doing a million times better reporting than any news I have seen.

Guest thorn

If there's any money to pay for it :rofl: