Revolver and ammo phenomenon

I read about this not long ago and had it happen last Thursday. I was shooting some Ultra-Max reloaded 38 special out of a Rossi .38 special and a few times the cylinder wouldn't rotate, at first I thought it was a problem with the handgun then I remembered reading about a little problem with some ammo that wasn't crimped or seated very well. It seems that during recoil the bullet from another round in the chamber will actually move out of it's casing (grow), and the bullet will hit the forcing cone stopping the cylinder from rotating. This doesn't happen in my SP101 .357 because of the longer chambers and factory Federal FMJ .38 special shoots fine from the Rossi. Just a curious problem since revolver malfunctions are rare but I was glad it was ammo related instead of the gun.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only shot ultramax one time around. It was very dirty, I mean very dirty.

I would just as soon not shoot as use it.

To all:___________

Lots of times when you (...reloaders or manufacturers...) dont crimp loads heavy enough (...especially the lead bullet loads...), you will get the problem of "dirty ignition". When you buy lead ammo (..and when you reload it, too...), make sure the bullet crimp is good and heavy. Lots of folks wont crimp 'low power" loads. That is a bad idea. All powders burn better and more completely when they have a heavy bullet pull (...or crimp...).

You also get this with a poor crimp:

It seems that during recoil the bullet from another round in the chamber will actually move out of it's casing (grow), and the bullet will hit the forcing cone stopping the cylinder from rotating.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

To all:___________

Lots of times when you (...reloaders or manufacturers...) dont crimp loads heavy enough (...especially the lead bullet loads...), you will get the problem of "dirty ignition". When you buy lead ammo (..and when you reload it, too...), make sure the bullet crimp is good and heavy. Lots of folks wont crimp 'low power" loads. That is a bad idea. All powders burn better and more completely when they have a heavy bullet pull (...or crimp...).

You also get this with a poor crimp:

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

I bought the stuff because it was cheap at the time, thought it would make good plinker or target loads. I recon ya get what ya pay for. Still have about 30 rounds left that will probably never be shot.