Helped Needed with 1911 Mag Sizes

garethsk

Hi,

I recently purchased a Springfield Armory 1911 A1 Mil Spec (Model# PB9108L).

I wanted to get some extra mags for it so I went to Midway USA and bought these C Products mags: C Products Magazine with Base Pad 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP 7-Round Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

Received them today and tried one out, and it didn't fit! :D

As I understand it this is a Government size 1911 w. 5" barrel, so I was expecting the above mag to be fine and just have the base pad sticking out of the bottom of the grip, but the mag is shorter than the factory mags and doesn't even lock into place.

What am I missing here with regards to sizing?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Gareth

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest REDDOG79

You seem to have bought the Commander sized mags which are shorter for the commander style pistols not the government sized mags. I'd call Midway and see about an exchange if possible per Garufa's advice.

I'm pretty sure Guvments and Commanders use the same mag. It's the Officer's size that is shorter.

Garufa,

You are correct sir, to the OP you must have bought officer size magazines I would return them for an exchange. Having said that I would recommend that you buy

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=783573

Chip Mccormick 8 round power mags, C- Products 1911 magazines are, shall we say less than desirable

Edited by willis68

Thanks for the clarification on the sizes Garufa.

...to the OP you must have bought officer size magazines

They may be Officer/Defender sized mags, but the web site / paperwork / packaging for the mags all say "1911 Government / Commander" so I just wanted to clarify my reasoning.

I'll send these back and get come Chips as Garufa recommended. Thanks for the heads up on the C Products mags.

Thanks for the clarification on the sizes Garufa.

They may be Officer/Defender sized mags, but the web site / paperwork / packaging for the mags all say "1911 Government / Commander" so I just wanted to clarify my reasoning.

I'll send these back and get come Chips as Garufa recommended. Thanks for the heads up on the C Products mags.

If you ordered them from the link that you posted, Then it is definitely not your fault. Midway screwed up and more than likely they will take care of you for their error. CMC magazines are excellent both Shooting star and Power magazines. I myself use the Power mags exclusively I own 25 of them and they have not failed in any 1911 I have ever owned

Midway screwed up and more than likely they will take care of you for their error.

I'm not even sure it's Midway at fault. The mags have no markings on them except "45 Auto" and the C Products logo, but the sealed bags they came in are labeled as:

"Magazine with Base Pad 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP"

Looks to me like C Products can't label their products right.

I'm not even sure it's Midway at fault. The mags have no markings on them except "45 Auto" and the C Products logo, but the sealed bags they came in are labeled as:

"Magazine with Base Pad 1911 Government, Commander 45 ACP"

Looks to me like C Products can't label their products right.

I think you are correct. I have dealt with Midway USA for well over 10 years and have NEVER had an issue. It looks like C-Products labeling is as screwed up as their 1911 magazines are, just be glad this happened as you can exchange them for some very good magazines for not much more money :rolleyes:

If you ordered them from the link that you posted, Then it is definitely not your fault. Midway screwed up and more than likely they will take care of you for their error. CMC magazines are excellent both Shooting star and Power magazines. I myself use the Power mags exclusively I own 25 of them and they have not failed in any 1911 I have ever owned

Hey Willis, try any of the CMC Power+ mags? Compare to reg. Power mag?

I've had great results with Wilson 47D mags. I have a CMC (not sure which model) that I use as a range mag that has worked well. Kinda interesting to see this thread. I was asking a couple of weeks ago if anyone had tried the CProd 1911 mags and nobody had.

Good luck!

I very much like the Wilson mags as well, I have several 47DC's that I use in my bobtail commander pistols. However in my Government models I prefer the CMC's they have outlasted a few 47's and they won me over for that reason

Guest redbarron06

I have had great results with Wilson Combat mag though for ome reason me and a couple of other filks I know say thay Springers dont like them. Mine will not lock the slide back on an empty mag so I use Springers with my Springer and Wilson, Kimpro, or Nighthawk Custom with my NHC. I will never use shooting star again after watching one come apart on the range. Baseplate blew right out of it.