Terminal Balistics As Viewed in a Morgue

Guest (BH)

I read through this last night and was really impressed with some of the info. It's all subject to debate and disagreement, but either way it's a different perspective that we usually don't get to hear.

Check it out and let me know what you think....

Terminal Ballistics As Viewed in a Morgue

PS: MODS, it looks like my "l" key stuck (or I had a brain fart) and ballistics is spelled wrong in the title. If you could, and don't mind to, add an "l" for me that'd be awesome.

Edited by (BH)
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, don't see much. He makes several statements equating 9mm and .380 and then discredits those same assumptions later. Such as "gang bangers" not aiming accounting for multiple non lethal hits as opposed to .40 or .45. Same thing with bullet type. Makes a big difference in 9mm and less so in .45. He also talks about the importance of yaw in rifle calibers but claims they are a liability in handgun calibers, talking about how bad it is that 9mm and .380 deflect on bone. Last I checked broken bones are not critical hits. Most experts see breaking bones as a drawback since it drastically diminishes travel and energy for defensive purposes and lessens bleed out which is much more important.

It is interesting just don't think there is much "ballistic" data there. When he said, "9mm is a notoriously bad man stopper" he flies in the face of every other study done showing it is as effective as .45 in hollow points. His samples are skewed by what he has to work with which doesn't account for bullet type, placement, etc. He has an obvious bias towards .45 that I think taints his observations. Just my thoughts. IMO placement and bullet type are critical. Yes, .45 gives a little margin of error in some cases, but it also has some drawbacks. Everything is a compromise. It's just finding the balance you like.

Edited by Smith
Guest Straight Shooter

I enjoyed the read, but see the same ole timeless, endless arguements about caliber and bullet weight/design.

Bottom line.. shoot the heaviest caliber with the heaviest bullet with the best bullet you can hit with, focus on shot placement, put confidence in your weapon and your abilities{IF youve practiced enough} and youll stand a better than even chance of coming out of a scrape ok.

I have known MANY MANY knuckleheads who "own a gun" and know NOTHING about it. Have "had this thing for years" and aint put two boxes of ammo thru it. These bad guys, thugs, gangbangers as a rule ARE NOT practiced,seasoned shooters. Most of us here are, just that. By the time some of these idiots even reach for a piece, Ill drill them two or three times.

As for the caliber debate....people will be spouting a lot of the same old tired worn out rumors and arguments 100 years from now, IF we aint shooting lasers by then! Then itll be My laser is deadlier than YOUR laser.

Id venture a guess that the vast majority of these are spread by people who arent shooters, who read it from someone else who wasnt a shooter, and it just keeps getting passed around. I hear this crap nightly at work by guys who havent shot a box of ammo in the last 5 years, let alone know anything about guns. My main carry piece now, is my 3" SP101 .357 with 125 JHP.

Before, Id rotate between my G21 and Beretta M9. Ive NEVER felt undergunned with the M9 and its +p 124 JHP's. Matter of fact, I felt pretty damned good.

These beat to death gun rumors, I wish would would die off....SOMEDAY.

The problem with the author's perspective is that he only sees the dead ones, and has little or no way to determine how quickly they were incapacitated.

What I took from the discussion was:

1) Penetration is the very important.

2) Luck/Skill to hit a vital structure is equally important

3) The most commonly 'effective' pistol calibers impact between 1200-1400fps, are between .355 and .45" in diameter, retain all of their weight, but still deform to impart most or all of their energy into the target.

4) You may need to fire more than 5 times.