Carry in Hospitals

Guest cappy

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Also, if the hospital is part of a school, then I believe it is off limits. Can't recall for sure. Someone might be able to clarify that.

Guest 270win

There is no law in TN that makes it illegal to carry in a hospital. I carry legally in hospitals in TN, unless I see some sort of 'proper' sign. Those signs have a lot of wording...you might want to look up the statute. Also you can't carry at Vanderbilt, Univ of Tenn Medical Center in Memphis...teaching type facilities that are a school in addition to a hospital.

There is no law in TN that makes it illegal to carry in a hospital. I carry legally in hospitals in TN, unless I see some sort of 'proper' sign. Those signs have a lot of wording...you might want to look up the statute.

Not if our legislators have their way with the new rest. carry. Most all at the least display the circle/slash.

Guest jackdm3

Went to see Granny in the hospital for the past two days. They had circle/slashes. Remarkably, my bullets didn't get rambunctious!

Edited by jackdm3
Guest johnsonc22

It is not legal to carry in hospitals because everyone of them are posted as far as I know. Too bad for the Nurse that was shot in knoxville, TN a few weeks ago at Parkwest when a crazy person came in and started unloading on ppl. If a HCP holder was in there maybe she goes home to see her family! I dont get sick so I dont have to give up my right to be protected when I go into Hospitals

Guest rsgillmd

A nurse also got shot in the parking lot at Delta Medical Center a couple of months ago. She was shot by her husband who was a firefighter. It sounded like it was a marital dispute according to what the newspapers were saying. I don't know if he was a legal HCP holder or not. But it does go to show that just because you are in the parking lot of a hospital in broad daylight, you can still be in danger.

But rules are rules until they are fixed by legislation. The rules in TN are still way better than the rules in NJ. I think I got my dad interested when I went home to NJ this weekend, because it was the longest conversation I've had with him in a while. So I looked up what he would have to go through, and it seems like the process is a pain in the neck. Apparently NJ can deny you a carry permit if you can't justify having a need to carry. So I guess "self defense" isn't enough of a need in NJ's eyes.

Guest 270win

I have carried at hospitals in both Arkansas and Tennessee that are not legally 'posted'. I haven't seen many that are legally 'posted'...but i don't search out signs when going to the hospital to say visit people...I often have my mind on other things tending to family. I believe Baptist Memorial in East Memphis could be legally posted because the signs quote the TCA code and are on all the entrances. The Baptist Collierville, Methodist Germantown, St Francis Bartlett...I did not see proper posting, thus legally carried.

Guest redbarron06

All of the HCA/Tristar hospitals are posted, none of the ones I have been to are posted even close to the law. When my wife worked @ Centenial and I worked as a armored car Manager I went and had lunch with her one day. I got stopped by the head of security and he wanted to know why I was carrying a gun. I told him. The I told him that posting only applied to HCP (at the time I was carrying as armed guard) and that it was not even close to what the law required to prohibit carrying. Then I asked him how as an unarmed officer he was going to prevent a armed person to doing anytyhing. Not as a smart ass just as a common sense question. Last time I was @ that hospital they were still not posted IAW the law.

Note on the subject, I was at the HCA facility in Dickson a couple of weeks ago and even though it was not IAW TCA, the building was not posted the parking lot was. Being posted on the edge of the property (entrance to the property) means it dont have to be on the building itself.

Guest 270win

The funny thing is the head of security who approached you at that hospital in Nashville probably wasn't even carrying a handgun while you were. How does he think he's going to keep people 'safe' if he is unarmed?

Guest redbarron06
The funny thing is the head of security who approached you at that hospital in Nashville probably wasn't even carrying a handgun while you were. How does he think he's going to keep people 'safe' if he is unarmed?

He was not carrying (unless it was deep concealed). That was my point to him.

I have carried at hospitals in both Arkansas and Tennessee that are not legally 'posted'. ...
All of the HCA/Tristar hospitals are posted, none of the ones I have been to are posted even close to the law...

Looks like these are going to be "back when" statements ere long, assuming they have time to override the likely veto.

Along with the thousands of other places that haven't been "conforming/legal" all along.

- OS

I believe Baptist Memorial in East Memphis could be legally posted because the signs quote the TCA code and are on all the entrances. The Baptist Collierville, Methodist Germantown, St Francis Bartlett...I did not see proper posting, thus legally carried.

All 3 hospital companies have policies against it, but like I said earlier, unless it's posted you're OK until someone sees it. Then you have to either lock it up or leave property.

Make no mistake, there are no delsuions about our limitations. We've been working to get my hospital armed for years, they just won't do it. So we do the best we can with what we have. It's not the security personnel that don't get it, it's the hospital board and administrators.

All of the HCA/Tristar hospitals are posted, none of the ones I have been to are posted even close to the law. When my wife worked @ Centenial and I worked as a armored car Manager I went and had lunch with her one day. I got stopped by the head of security and he wanted to know why I was carrying a gun. I told him. The I told him that posting only applied to HCP (at the time I was carrying as armed guard) and that it was not even close to what the law required to prohibit carrying. Then I asked him how as an unarmed officer he was going to prevent a armed person to doing anytyhing. Not as a smart ass just as a common sense question. Last time I was @ that hospital they were still not posted IAW the law.

Technically, unless you were in the performance of your duties for your guard job, he could have told you to pound sand.

Guest redbarron06
Technically, unless you were in the performance of your duties for your guard job, he could have told you to pound sand.

yea he could have, but he was not being a jerk and though I may have sounded (in the post) like I was being jerk I was not.

yea he could have, but he was not being a jerk and though I may have sounded (in the post) like I was being jerk I was not.

I didn't figure you were. I probably came off harsh because I was just coming off telling someone to go pound sand at work lol

Most of the time,not all mind you, but mostly we understand HCP holders are NOT our problem at work. Just about everyone in my department carries when not working and we've practically begged to be armed, but it just isn't happening anytime soon. So we are generally extremely polite unless you have it tucked into your jeans and are acting like an ass...:P

Guest redbarron06
I didn't figure you were. I probably came off harsh because I was just coming off telling someone to go pound sand at work lol

Most of the time,not all mind you, but mostly we understand HCP holders are NOT our problem at work. Just about everyone in my department carries when not working and we've practically begged to be armed, but it just isn't happening anytime soon. So we are generally extremely polite unless you have it tucked into your jeans and are acting like an ass...:bored:

I think we need a law that requires security guards are to be armed. Unarmed guard is like a car with no gas.

Guest johnsonc22

Well I dont understand how keeping HCP holders from carrying makes places safer? That is strange, The nurse that got shoot maybe should have had a carry permit. How do you feel about employees allowed to carry concealed at work? Hey is there a thread like that how about someone start one...I would love to hear what ppl have to say. List where you work and what you do and if you think it would be wrong to carry at work.....would there be a problem?