Newbie to reloading

Went to the Reloader's Bench today. Trying to figure out what I need. Will probably be just working with 9mm right now. Kinda looking at the Lee Challenger press kit. Looks like that's pretty much all I need except the dies. Trying to find the 4 die set instead of buying the 3 die set and then the seperate crimp die. Anything else I need? What manual should I go by? Thanks for the advice in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have always crimped in a separate die,.. auto and revolver ammo ,..

First book should be a notebook a durable one for the years ahead, records don't "think" they just record enter load info,. brass,powder,projectile weight and type, amount of crimp,....Copy that info and place the slip in the ammo box with those loads stickers on the outside fade or get worn off paper inside is safe and keeps a second note also handy to write range results on to transfer to your main notebook later...

every detail and even group size, or a small drawing of the group so you can re-create that load every time... even if you leave the sport for a few years...

Second book,.. Lyman,Sierra, LEE all are excellent books I also have several articles cut from the shooting rags back when they posted data,.. handy for us who shoot "10mm Norma Auto" or a .401 Herters or a round that doesn't make it into next years manual..

Take your time, read all the info in the books, don't rush.

As my dad told me when I was taught,.. Consistency is accuracy but consistent mistakes make for a really bad day..

Welcome to the hobby within the sport enjoy !

John

I have never crimped in a second operation but whatever makes you happy. I started with and still use a Lee Anniversary Kit for pistol, use the three die set, and have had no real problems.

I do use the mag and chamber as a check on my reloads and keep them within manual limits.

Have fun and be safe.

thought i was the only one who loaded for a 401 powder mag .got any brass for a 247 ram mag .first and foremost get a notebook to keep your records in in addition i record temp and humidity .in the long run your note book will be the most important reloading manual saw lee kits at the gunshow last week for 99.00

Guest canebreaker

Buy Lee set #90030. You get 11 seats for the auto prime. A lot cheaper to buy now than to add later.