GA Precision Rifles

Guest JHatmaker

Guest JHatmaker

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of GAP rifles? From what I've read, they seem to be extremely accurate rifles for your money. I'm going to either buy or build a bolt-action for long range target shooting at some point this year, most likely in .300 Win Mag.

I know .308 Win will suffice for the majority of places here in Tennessee, but I want to go ahead and move up to the distance of either .300 WM or .338 Lapua.

So, any first or second-hand experience/knowledge of GAP's products?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No first hand experience. But they sure have the reputation of being one of the best/ if not the best long range rifle builders in the country.

If you decide to go with the .338LM you will want to reload. It is expensive either way, just a little less if you are rolling your own. I am waiting on a .338LM now myself.

Guest FroggyOne2

Just remember that most long range matches will not allow a muzzle brake.. only in tactical matches.. but any of the NRA matchs is a no go with them.. The current go to NRA long range round is the 6.5 x 284 and the .284 Winchester. You could also look at the 6.5 X 55 or the .260 Remington.

The following is an approx barrel life of the most popular rounds:

6.5 x 284 = 1200 max

.338 Lapua = (Quote from Snipers Hide 2/10/09)

At about 1500 rounds of high-accuracy barrel life, your cost per shot is >50¢ for the barrel. This is similar to the 300 Win Mag or other high performance 30 caliber.

Ammunition is costing you ~$2 per shot.

Regards,

Scott Seigmund

Vice President

Accuracy International of North America

Email: ScottSeigmund@accuracyinternational.org

300 WM = 1500 rounds

284 Winchester 2000 - 2200 rounds

6.5 X 55 = 2500 rounds

Most other long range rounds are about the same.. except the 308 Win. Which can give up to 5000 rounds on a bbl before going south.

Plus with cost of Lapua brass for the .338 and the price of bullets and how much powder you would go through if you reload. Prices for factory ammo going between 63.00 to 150.00 for 20 rounds.. I hope that you have deep pockets..

I hear great things about George and GAP rifles. I do not own one but my M40A1 clone has an action that was clip slotted by GAP. What type of "range" are you looking for that is pushing you towads the .338 or 300WM?

FYI. My factory 700 in 308 with 26" Med. Palma Taper bbl is making it to 1K with no problems. Check out Snipershide, alot of good info about GAP over there.

DaG

Guest JHatmaker
I hear great things about George and GAP rifles. I do not own one but my M40A1 clone has an action that was clip slotted by GAP. What type of "range" are you looking for that is pushing you towads the .338 or 300WM?

The future possibility that I'll have a chance to shoot over 1000 yards. Also want to make it out to Oak Ridge. Maybe a trip out west, have some relatives out in Arizona.

Check out Snipershide, alot of good info about GAP over there.

DaG

I actually stumbled across Snipershide a few weeks ago, great site.

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Guest JHatmaker
Ted Nugent has one so they must be pretty good ;-D

:)

The Nuge; what doesn't he have? He does have good taste in weapons, so I guess it's gotta be good.

Guest bart_p

I'm not sure if I understood quite what you were saying. You said you wanted to start a build.....Does that mean you build it or have someone build it to your specs? If it's the latter I will agree that GAP builds a fine rifle, but I give the edge to Mike R. at Tactical Operations. His rifles all come with a .25" accuracy guarantee and he is the nicest, most honest businessman I've ever had the honor to know. Look him up on SniperCentral or PM me and I'll give you his number.

Bart

Guest JHatmaker
I'm not sure if I understood quite what you were saying. You said you wanted to start a build.....Does that mean you build it or have someone build it to your specs? If it's the latter I will agree that GAP builds a fine rifle, but I give the edge to Mike R. at Tactical Operations. His rifles all come with a .25" accuracy guarantee and he is the nicest, most honest businessman I've ever had the honor to know. Look him up on SniperCentral or PM me and I'll give you his number.

Bart

Sorry, meant that I'd have one built for me.