Tap Rack Bang

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't happen to Glocks unless it's a bad round, he must've just included it in the stovepipe and double feed clearance drills to be polite. :)

Guest db99wj
Good stuff.

Tap Rack Bang is a very basic and fundamental battle drill that should be mastered by ALL.

I had dreams about that in basic!:)

that is a great vid by the way.

Edited by db99wj
Guest scott6261

this was a good video, i do have one question though, i might be missing something so bare with me. at one point he pulled the trigger and it didn't fire, he immediately did a tap, rack and fire, now what if it was a delayed firing. i was trained to wait a few extra seconds prior to T,R and firing in the case of it firing late. it would seem to be dangerous to do it right away like that.

Guest db99wj
this was a good video, i do have one question though, i might be missing something so bare with me. at one point he pulled the trigger and it didn't fire, he immediately did a tap, rack and fire, now what if it was a delayed firing. i was trained to wait a few extra seconds prior to T,R and firing in the case of it firing late. it would seem to be dangerous to do it right away like that.

In a life or death situation you don't have a few extra seconds to wait. A few seconds will end up a lifetime for your family without you. The odds of a delayed fire, while possible, are not probable.

Guest bkelm18

More dangerous than being stabbed or shot by an assailant? ;) This isn't a range drill, this is something that can save your life in a defensive shooting.

Guest scott6261

In a life or death situation i wouldn't think twice, since in my case and im sure most of you guys too you are going to be doing the TRF drill at the range then the concern seems valid to me thats why i brought it up. its happened to me with some .380 in my lcp, however never in my m&p or the glock. like eapking i have waited up to 10 sec the 4 or 5 times its happened and nothing ever happens.

Guest scott6261
More dangerous than being stabbed or shot by an assailant? ;) This isn't a range drill, this is something that can save your life in a defensive shooting.

im not trying to be argumentative here but why wouldn't you use this at the range? whenever i have had an issue (which is only with that dumb little lcp) i practice it to program muscle memory so i'll be a little faster in a LOD confrontation.

Guest db99wj
im not trying to be argumentative here but why wouldn't you use this at the range? whenever i have had an issue (which is only with that dumb little lcp) i practice it to program muscle memory so i'll be a little faster in a LOD confrontation.

I do practice this at the range, but I have to with putting an empty or dummy round in my mag due to XD running. I have had 1 or 2 FTF out of several thousand rounds and I can only attribute those to bad range ammo (reloads from a company). I actually tried to shoot the round several more times but they would not fire. So you can practice it at the range, you just need to set it up. To make it more fun, have a buddy fill your mag with the dummy round in it so that you don't know when it will happen. This will give you good practice.

Sidenote. During these drills with my XD, using empty shell casings, I have run into a different problem. The slide will actually get stuck on an empty shell casing due to the light weight of it I guess and it is stuck big time. A simple Tap, rack, fire will not work, because the slide won't move. In this case, a different method has to be used. I will describe it the best I can.

After you reach up and try to rack the slide and it doesn't move, you then grasp the slide with your left hand very firmly, you take your right hand off the grip and keep your hand in the same position so that your thumb and pointy finger are still making a "U". With your right hand, you hit the grip, gently, just below the slide with the area of your hand (webbing) between your thumb and pointy finger, and keep hitting it, a little harder each time until it breaks loose. Usually it takes about 2 or 3 hits to break it free, then once it breaks free, and you have successfully racked the slide, fire away.

I don't know if this is something that happens only with emptys or not, it has only happened to me with emptys. The first time it happened was in a Defensive street pistol class at RangeUSA while working on malfunction drills. Chip showed me this technique and I have been able to do it several more times while practicing malfunction drills.

When I have used a dummy round, tap, rack, bang works fine!

Guest pws_smokeyjones

Great video for sure. As others have stated, this is a drill that should be practiced with the intention of using it when you need it most - in a life fire/hostile situation.

Sure, when plinking at the range, you have plenty of time to wait for a possible late-fire or whatever you want to call it. However, once you have waited the time you feel comfortable, go ahead and use the TRF drill for the practice for those times when you do not have the luxury of waiting.