My EDC Beretta. My sudden spring problem?

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

I've shot my Beretta Elite 96G Brigadier for ten years with no problems until today's Memphis meet. Maybe it's just the Remington FMJ and JHP's, but I experienced a "light strike" that was disconcerting. You would pull the trigger, it would fall and rest on the rear of the striker and slide, and you'd have to pull the trigger from DA mode. Near the end, this happened twice a mag. I pulled out the "dead" round to see the slightest dimple compared to a good spent casing with a decent dimple.

I had the hammer spring replaced when I got it with a lighter one from a 1911, a common swap, that lasted me 2000 or 3000 rounds. I still have the original spring to put back in, but the poundage is going to suck.

On the net, I read some say that Federals have harder primer metal, but most responders to that statement say a good weapon should be able to push through anyway.

Do you think that I've just worn out that 1911 spring? Or what?

Edited by jackdm3
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think that I've just worn out that 1911 spring? Or what?

That, or I'd say you may have peened/sheered the firing pin down to where it's shorter than it needs to be and you need a new one.

Guest jackdm3

I'd say that's a possibility. We took mine apart and another new one in the store to compare. Pushed the pin forward with a plastic pin. Mine appeared only a tiny bit duller but came out about the same distance as the new one. And the harder Remington primers could have worn it out today.

Guest strelcevina

try a pencil test.

regular pencil in barrel, pull the trigger pointing up

it should shoot it out at least few feet in the air

Guest strelcevina
Did that with a Bic pen. A new 92 went up about 10 feet and mine went 8 feet. Doesn't that correlate to my lighter spring?

true that.

i have D-spring in my 96FS and never had light strike.

i can imagine that yours is just dirty inside firing pin Chanel, and needs some cleaning

Guest jackdm3

That's another consideration. Gonna be scary as hell the first time I take this one apart for that procedure. Hate for it to be out of commission for long. It's by far my favorite pistola.

i can imagine that yours is just dirty inside firing pin Chanel, and needs some cleaning

That's as good a thought as I can come up with. I've never really heard of issues with Remington's primers. I'd wonder if there's a possibility that the ammo was exposed to moisture, but that's not gonna be the issue if you can tell there was obviously a lighter strike. I'd clean the devil outta that thing and, given your round count, consider changing out springs again just to be on the safe side since it's your EDC. I'm pretty sure Wolff makes springs for the 96, but haven't heard any reviews on them.

Guest jackdm3

The Colonel at Rangemaster was feeling generous with his time (free!) and had extra springs when I left a day of shooting saying it would nice to bring the 14 or 15 lb spring down a bit. He said he could go down to 7 or 8. I said Hells yeah!

Guest strelcevina
I'm curious, why'd you decide to go with a lighter spring the first time?

same here.

i got my springs, steel guide road and skeletonised hammer from david olhasso.

it completely changes a feel of the gun.

Guest jackdm3

Still have 80 or 90 of the suspected ammo. Gonna go back to the original sp. and see what flies. I hate that I'll have to wait till next weekend to do this. That's nervousness, right there.

Guest jackdm3

I don't see how the original could be so painful. That's first and then I may brave a deep cleaning of the rod next.

Guys, you've been quite attentive. Gonna zzzzzzzzzzzzzz now.

If I go back to the original spring, won't that clear most up for now?

Probably, but I'd clean out the firing pin channel first, take out the firing pin while you're at it and really see if it looks ok, then, after trying that, go back to the original spring if you need to... unless it's your only defensive gun, then I'd just put it in for the time being regardless.

I'd check with this guy:David Olhasso Beretta Parts