Gun stolen out of vehicle, insurance filing questions???

If this is in the wrong place, I humbly appologize. Please move as appropriate................

I was in Atlanta for my fathers funeral 04/10 and while I was in town, my truck was broken into and my Colt was stolen, along with the holster and extra mag. I had the cops make a report and I am in the process of filling out the paper work for the home owners insurance and have come up on a question. First, a little background on the gun which will lead to the question.

I bought a Colt M1991A1 (full size) from a pawn shop in M'boro. When I bought it, it came with already installed trijicon night sights and a "trigger job". I have no documentation to support the night sights and trigger job so how would I go about itemizing these?

The holster and extra mag I had I bought new and kept the receipts so that is not a problem.

Another question I have is how would I determine what the current replacement cost is for the gun? Looking at gunbroker, cost seems to vary somewhat. I realize this is not a top shelf Colt, and I'm not looking to take advantage, just file a claim for replacement cost of everything I lost.

Any and all advice is welcome.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cappy

It all depends on who your insurance company is mine is very leadiant and will take my word for it about that simple because i have the S/N numbers on file with them and have mentioned the holsters as well since it was i physical part of the gun I would think they would cover it too! but i am not an insurance agent so i dont know that for a fact!

Guest mgjohn

Did you have those details listed on the police report? If so that should cover you. Just get a replacement price from a gun store or 2 for the insurance company.

Guest Straight Shooter

Just list them as aftermarket add-ons.

Sights are about $80-$120 to replace, and trigger job, about $50, give or take.

As for the gun, Id get 3 prices from either GB or dealers and show the insurance folks, or just average the three.

I have my house and vehicles through State farm. I don’t know if it’s changed since I moved to Tennessee, but in Illinois theft from my vehicle was covered on my vehicle comprehensive and had no deductable.

Guest Sgt. Joe
I have my house and vehicles through State farm. I don’t know if it’s changed since I moved to Tennessee, but in Illinois theft from my vehicle was covered on my vehicle comprehensive and had no deductable.

I am sure no insurance whiz but that is what I was thinking.

Also I would assume that there was at least some damage to the vehicle when it was broken into. I would certainly check into that aspect of it.

I have always kept receipts for guns but never thought of accessories and such...I will keep them from now on.

I will also be calling my auto insurance company next week with a "what if" question about such an occurrence.

That is who I called first. I have State Farm as well and when I called my agents office, they said that they wouldn't cover it. They indicated that the home owners insurance was the ones I needed to call. So, I called them (Farm Bureau) and they said that they do cover things like this and in certain circumstances, they waived the deductible. The lady sent me an inventory sheet to fill out and submit back. I figure with my luck of late that it will probably be in vain but to quote the lottery, you can't win if you don't play the game, thus my endevour to fill out the form and my questions.
What's your deductible?

- OS

$1000. If they decide to not wave the deductible, with the list of what the thief got, I will still end up with ~ $200. Doesn't quite cover what I lost but at this point, 200 is better than 0.

Not to pile on or anything, but as cheap as digital cameras are nowadays, there's no excuse to not have digital photos of the serial numbers and distinguishing features of every firearm you own saved somewhere safe.

$1000. If they decide to not wave the deductible, with the list of what the thief got, I will still end up with ~ $200. Doesn't quite cover what I lost but at this point, 200 is better than 0.

Assuming it doesn't raise your rate.

- OS

Assuming it doesn't raise your rate.

- OS

Yeah, I had thought of that. I told the lady to call me and discuss after she got the paper work. If it was going to turn out that they weren't going to wave the deduc. and raise my rates, I was going to tell them to forget it.

Not to pile on or anything, but as cheap as digital cameras are nowadays, there's no excuse to not have digital photos of the serial numbers and distinguishing features of every firearm you own saved somewhere safe.

Not piling on, as the last line in my OP says, "Any and all advice welcome". That is a good idea and I will employ now, I just wish I had thought of that beforehand................:)

Are you an NRA member? ....one of their benefits of general membership is insurance to cover just such a situation. Might want to check it out.

Unfortunately, no. I know, I know............I'm stupid, just ask my wife, she'll tell you gleefully :up: