Anyone Own a Ruger #1?

The Rabbi

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston

I had an early one that had been rebuilt in .375 H&H magnum. Fit and finish was good, accuracy good. They are extremely strong and robust.

Always had wanted a dangerous game rifle, got one. I put a total of 8 shells through it in 5 years. Similiar in design to the English Stalking rifles of the turn of the last century, they are well balanced and the action is fairly refined. Certainly at 1/10 to 1/50th the cost of a fine English gun it was a relatively cheap way to get this side-adventure out of my system. I traded it for my pre-64 Model 70 in .264 Winmag.

The resale price is generally extremely poor, due to the narrow customer base. They are a niche gun. I've seen them in everything from .243 up to .458 Lott. I've never seen one that has been heavily used nor know of anyone who owns one that shoots them on a regular basis (know one gentleman that has taken his in 30.06 out deer hunting for over 30 years - if that rifle has 100 rounds through it I would be surprised). There is one at Specialty Arms II in 458 Lott that has been there since about July and unless the consignee gets really lucky or right on the price, it will be there next July.

That rifle sounds right up my alley. What do they normally run?

500-950+ if the right buyer finds the right gun.

We have one in stock that is as new, chambered in 30-06, and I think we are getting ready to list it on Gunbroker with a 900.00 BIN. (early gun with the red stock cap)

It make sell in 1 day, it may take 6 months to sell.

My brother just bought one chambered in 300 Win Mag and it is a wonderful rifle. It has that "feel" when you pick it up. Solid! I shot it twice and its a tack driver as well with his Leupy! The only thing I see as unpleasing is the look with the action bar being open on it. I know they didn't want a Marlin looking Lever action bar but that bar to drop the block just doesn't look good to me. I would still buy one if I needed another deer rifle and the price were great but its not something I'm looking for today.

2nd from left below:

RI-Overview2.jpg

Guest gcrookston

I do think the falling block / Farquharson style rifles are elegant. If you had the resources to send it to a master engraver, the broad flats of the action are an ideal canvas and the general lines of the rifle are very pleasing.

I assume Ruger intended to go head-to-head with the English by introducing an affordable dangerous game rifle when it arrived in the mid 1960's. The great white hunter era was at its zenith then and anyone who was anybody was going to Africa for the chance to catch malaria and shoot something really big and really exotic.

I suspect they would make a fine International Match rifle in the style of Wimbledon and Creedmoor (back in the day when they were hurling 50-110 "pumpkin balls" 1,000 yards)... Hummm.... maybe I need to build one of those...

I love number 1's and have owned several. I am just now getting back into them. The prices lately have gone up considerably. Lets see;

1. They don't have an action so a 26" rifle is rifle is about the same length as a 22" bolt gun giving 4 more inches of barrel for better velocity or, in the case of the 1A, an even shorter rifle.

2. Easy to clean and inspect the barrel.

3. Light and very strong.

4. Simplicity of operation.

Some complain of accuracy issues with 2 piece stocks but if you hold it the same way every time, it usually shoots the same every time.

Anybody got some number 1's they want to trade? I am always looking but I like lighter calibers. Would consider a 30-06 but at a reasonable price range.

Guest TNGUNRUNNER

I have built several custom rifles on a #1 action and have found them to be very reliable, and tough. I own one myself in 7mm Mag and have used it in Alaska when it was 20 below and I have used it to shoot groundhogs on hot summer days.