Doctor's Value Vision Posts

Guest TNReb

Guest TNReb

For years I have bought my eyeglasses at Doctor's Value Vision in Murfreesboro, TN. When I went yesterday and ordered two new pair of glasses, my daughter noticed as we were leaving they had a decal on the door with a gun with the red circle and slash and below it read, "No guns or weapons allowed on the premises." I did some research and found that they are owned by Eye Care Centers of America, Inc., and they have several other names they operate under. From their web page:

"Our stores are located primarily in the Southwest, Midwest and Southeast, along the Gulf Coast and Atlantic Coasts and in the Pacific Northwest regions of the United States and operate under separate trade names in each of our local markets, including "EyeMasters," "Visionworks," "Vision World," "Doctor's VisionWorks," "Dr. Bizer's VisionWorld," "Dr. Bizer's ValuVision," "Doctor's ValuVision," "Hour Eyes," "Stein Optical," "Eye DRx" and "Binyon's." This is the email I sent them:

Sent: Friday, April 23, 2010 4:09 PM

To: Customer Service Support e-mail

Subject: Corporate Policy

While ordering two new pairs of eyeglasses in the Murfreesboro, TN Dr.’s ValueVision Store I noticed as I was leaving a sign which said guns and weapons were prohibited. I would like to know if this is a corporate policy and if this includes those, like myself, who are properly licensed and registered to carry handguns. While I respect any business or property owner’s right to post their property against anything they wish, my policy is if you do not want me to bring my licensed and registered handgun in your store, you do not want me to bring my money in either, and I will shop somewhere else.

Please let me know if this is your policy. I have traded with you for many years now, but that will have to stop if it is your policy. Thank you for your prompt response.

This was their response:

I do apologize but this is our corporate policy. We do not allow handguns or weapons of any kind in our stores.

Thank you,

Lucy

Customer Service

This is the reply I sent them:

Thank you, Lucy, for your prompt response. I called today and cancelled my order. Also, I will be advising all members of groups to which I belong of this policy and urging them to take their business elsewhere. Please pass this information along to your superiors and that I urge them to rethink this policy and comply with the law and respect the rights of law-abiding citizens. The sad part is that criminals will not care what your policy is, and that policy makes the rest of us vunerable to them. Not only does it cost you business, it makes you and your customers less safe.

So, please spread the word to everyone you can not to do business with these people.

Edited by TNReb
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Straight and to the point. Excellent! Too bad you're so far or I would put you onto a good independent who is not afraid of guns. In fact, she was even receptive to my bringing a firearm into the office to see if she could help my aging eyes get a better sight picture. ;)

oldogy

Yeah, I just went and had an eye appointment there and didn't realize until we went back later for my wife's appointment that they were posted. Went ahead and got her appointment since it only cost us a dollar. Will be getting glasses at Wal-Mart or some place else now and I guess eye exams too. Too bad since I did like them and their prices are good.

Matthew

Guest faust921

My Optometrist in Michigan was a shooter and he adjusted my prescription on a 2nd pair of glasses to optimize my target shooting. My company offered the 2nd pair as safety glasses for the factory, but I worked in an office - whatever. I suggest you post on some forums and see if you can get a 2A friendly optometrist that understands your vision requirements and your politics.

Guest TNReb

Thanks for all the roses guys. I have a good optometrist and only went to Doctor's ValueVision to get the glasses since they usually make them the same day. I will be going to Sam's Club Optical here to get them now. They don't have as big a selection, but they don't post either. Thanks again for all the kind comments!

Guest Gene83

"The sad part is that criminals will not care what your policy is, and that policy makes the rest of us vunerable to them. Not only does it cost you business, it makes you and your customers less safe."

What an excellent choice of words. Couldn't have said it better myself. Bravo!!

So, please spread the word to everyone you can not to do business with these people.

I go to Dr. Serge Martin at Accu-Vision on Memorial. I didn’t ask his opinions on guns or the 2nd amendment, but he helped me with some specific questions I had about shooting and made some recommedations.

However…. Eyesight that I do have (and want to keep) trumps rights that I don’t have. :)

Guest rsgillmd
decal on the door with a gun with the red circle and slash and below it read, "No guns or weapons allowed on the premises."

You do realize that this sign is totally meaningless.

Luckily my guy is a long-range target shooter & totally gun friendly so no worries for me.

If that is meaningless, then what does a properly posted sign look like?

The front entrance to the OB center at The Med (Memphis hospital) has a gun in a circle with a slash through it. I don't think there is any wording, but I didn't look carefully.

Even if I wanted to, I wouldn't bring a gun in there anyway because parts of The Med are considered UT, and I was taught carry is prohibited on university property.

Guest TNReb
<<<my policy is if you do not want me to bring my licensed and registered handgun in your store,>>>

Good response, but just a little adjustment. No registration of guns in Tennessee.

You're right. That was a poor choice of words. What I meant was that when I bought my gun I passed the background check. But come to think of it, I believe the dealer is required to keep records of purchases and surrender them to the Feds when asked, so it might be pretty close to the same thing. Kinda scary, now that I think about it.

Guest TNReb
I go to Dr. Serge Martin at Accu-Vision on Memorial. I didn’t ask his opinions on guns or the 2nd amendment, but he helped me with some specific questions I had about shooting and made some recommedations.

However…. Eyesight that I do have (and want to keep) trumps rights that I don’t have. :D

I used to go to Serge until he quit taking my insurance. He is a good guy and probably has no problem with carrying there.

Guest TNReb
decal on the door with a gun with the red circle and slash and below it read, "No guns or weapons allowed on the premises."

You do realize that this sign is totally meaningless.

Luckily my guy is a long-range target shooter & totally gun friendly so no worries for me.

I know that it doesn't comply with the statute, and I probably could claim that if caught carrying there. I just don't want to go anywhere that is posted in any way, legal or not, and I sure am not going to do business there.

Some places post these signs to appease those that don't know any better knowing full well that those that do know better will ignore them, while some other places are ignorant of the law themselves & don't know how to correctly post.

Either way if your concealed know one should even notice & the most they can do is ask you to leave.