Pistol Search

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Okay, I was able to get my wife to the gun shop(s) today and to my surprise she warmed up nicely to the S&W 642 .38 w/ CT laser grips. She liked the weight and feel of this pistol. Now, one question is, will this gun be more managable for her than the Taurus TCP 380? Granted the gun has bigger/better grip but I am thinking it will still have as much recoil as the .380. The 2nd question is what other gun compares to the $640.00 S&W 642? Too bad there is nowhere local you can rent a gun and shoot it before you purchase.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you could ask around and find people who own those guns that would let her try them before y'all buy one.

For the 642, the Crimson Trace grips probably add 150-200 bucks to that price. New ones can be found for 450 or so without the laser. The Smith and Wesson 442 is the same gun, just blued. You might find it for a few dollars less.

The AirWeight revolvers snap pretty hard with the factory grips. The three finger Hogue grips help.

Okay, I was able to get my wife to the gun shop(s) today and to my surprise she warmed up nicely to the S&W 642 .38 w/ CT laser grips. She liked the weight and feel of this pistol. Now, one question is, will this gun be more managable for her than the Taurus TCP 380? Granted the gun has bigger/better grip but I am thinking it will still have as much recoil as the .380. The 2nd question is what other gun compares to the $640.00 S&W 642? Too bad there is nowhere local you can rent a gun and shoot it before you purchase.

As per your previous post on regarding her opinions so far ...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/38736-back-range.html

... I find it pretty likely she will absolutely HATE shooting J frames. Especially with +p, which is what you really need to use.

- OS

Guest rystine

With standard pressure .38 special the S&W airweight revolvers are not bad at all. If you load it with .38 +p the recoil will start getting pretty stout.

If you are worried about it still being to harsh, take a look at the Ruger sp101. It's chambered in .357, but obviously you can just shoot .38 through it. It's quite a bit heavier than the 642, but that weight will soak up alot of recoil. And Rugers tend to run a little cheaper than S&W.

That said, if she still likes the 642, look around harder. $640 sounds pretty steep, even for one with a crimson trace grip.

Depending on the load the Smith may be a little bit easier to handle, but a guy at the range the other day swore that the little Taurus was the sweetest shooting little .380 he has ever owned. Would be wise to test both if recoil is a major concern...they are so close it would depend on what fits her hands better.

The Smith and Wesson 442 is the same gun, just blued.

FWIW - Both the 442 and the 642 are painted aluminum...neither blued or stainless.

but there cylinder and barrel is in a 642

Depending on the load the Smith may be a little bit easier to handle, but a guy at the range the other day swore that the little Taurus was the sweetest shooting little .380 he has ever owned. Would be wise to test both if recoil is a major concern...they are so close it would depend on what fits her hands better.

FWIW - Both the 442 and the 642 are painted aluminum...neither blued or stainless.

Guest pwhphd

Not only is the 442 and 642 neither blued nor stainless; the finish is poor [by Smith & Wesson standards] and it has a clearcoat overfinish that is easily damaged. If she plans carry in a fanny pack or purse she might be better served with an older blued model that is heavier.

Not only is the 442 and 642 neither blued nor stainless; the finish is poor [by Smith & Wesson standards] and it has a clearcoat overfinish that is easily damaged. If she plans carry in a fanny pack or purse she might be better served with an older blued model that is heavier.

My :popcorn:: It's a carry gun. It's going to get worn, scratched, and suffer other finish damage. If I had it to do over, I would've bought a worn, less expensive used one to carry. Functionally solid, but not terribly pretty. I bought a new 642, and the finish has been beat up pretty noticeably by carrying it.

That said, a heavier model would help with the felt recoil.

Look at Ruger LCR. Similar to the J frames. My wife did not like the J frame, trigger and recoil, so we got her a LCR. She tolerates the recoil, likes the trigger much better. A set of CT laser grips made her like the LCR even more.;) And now she wants to shoot more:cool:and carry more:cool:

oldogy

As per your previous post on regarding her opinions so far ...

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/38736-back-range.html

... I find it pretty likely she will absolutely HATE shooting J frames. Especially with +p, which is what you really need to use.

- OS

I have a 637, and it is absolutely the hardest kicking handgun I own. That includes the LCP, some 9mm's, and a 1911. It's the only pistol I won't let my girlfriend shoot.

IMHO, stay away from the airweight frame.

Good information guys. The closest range that rents guns is about 2 hours away which would be worth the drive before spending that kind of $$$. We wil look at the LCR pistol as well. Thanks again

Ballistics speaking the .380 & the .38spl are virtually the same in a 2" barrel stick with a heavier .357 with good grips and use .38spl ammo. also something else to consider what about a ruger sp101 in .327 federal mag? It's newer caliber but supposed to have significantly less recoil. Ballistics are in the same ball park as well just has a lighter weight bullet .

I'll throw in my 2 cents also... It is possible to use a "thumbs over each other" grip with a revolver. You can also find a low recoil load for practice. My uncle participates in Cowboy Action Shooting and they load their revolvers really light for the speed shooting competions. I also think the old 38S&W cartridge can be fired safely in a 38 Special. Being shorter in length in may require more diligent cleaning of the cylinder. Hopefully with a strong 2 handed grip, light loads, and short but frequent trips to the range she can slowly progress until she can shoot her pistol one handed with a potent 38+P self defense load. But even the anemic 38S&W with a lead bullet is better than being unarmed. I'm sure any money spent on professional training would well spent. Good Luck and Kudos to you and your wife.