Interesting conversation with bank guard

I went to make a deposit at my local First Tennessee. I've been in there several times and often wondered why the armed guard chooses to carry a revolver instead of a semi.

So today he was outside drinking his coffee as I was leaving and I decided to ask him.

Turns out he is required to carry a revolver because First TN thinks they are more intimidating. Also, it has to be a .38 because they are afraid of over-penetration.

He told me he isn't very happy with the decision but he has no choice. He also said that the company he works for recently bought S&W .40's for all their guards recently but for some reason management of the security company won't let anyone carry them.

Anyways, I just thought it was interesting.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj

Interesting. When I worked for Regions, we had a mixed bag of weapons security guards carried, from revolvers to SW 9???, Rugers...lots of Rugers semi's.

Ummmmmmmm.......no.:D

you rebel! I always carry at the bank, today when I was talking to the guard he thought I was a LEO. I just told him I had a carry permit and he seemed a bit surprised. He didn't ask if I was packing, I was pretty well concealed today.

Guest mikedwood

I got an S&W model 64 that was a security company trade in from Austin's. I think they traded in like 80 for Glock 40's. Pretty clean hardly used gun with the box and stuff.

I like a revolver, but I'm still going to carry my G26.

Guest Revelator

Yeah I see revolvers at the First TN in downtown Memphis. There's also an armored truck guy I see downtown alot who carries a revolver. He's got a whole bunch of extra cartridges on his belt, like 20. Can't tell if they're 38 or 357.

Guest 270win

A revolver is the best type of handgun for those who do not practice that much or who are inexperienced with handguns. Easy to load, unload, learn, and shoot. A lot of people cannot hack the complexity of autopistols. I've seen it quite a bit on the range...but people never seem to have problems understanding the safe operation of a revolver. Many a police officer out there would probably benefit by carrying one...I've even seen some of them struggle with operating a semi automatic....qualifying once or twice a year does not equal truly mastering the operation of a more complex semi auto. I saw a UA-Medical Sciences police officer practice at a range in North Little Rock and she could barely rack the slide and had to have her significant other load the magazines....that problem wouldn't happen with a revolver. They are even good for folks who are experienced. I carry a snub 38 and feel protected anywhere in Memphis.

Edited by 270win
A revolver is the best type of handgun for those who do not practice that much or who are inexperienced with handguns. Easy to load, unload, learn, and shoot. A lot of people cannot hack the complexity of autopistols. I've seen it quite a bit on the range...but people never seem to have problems understanding the safe operation of a revolver. Many a police officer out there would probably benefit by carrying one...I've even seen some of them struggle with operating a semi automatic....qualifying once or twice a year does not equal truly mastering the operation of a more complex semi auto. I saw a UA-Medical Sciences police officer practice at a range in North Little Rock and she could barely rack the slide and had to have her significant other load the magazines....that problem wouldn't happen with a revolver. They are even good for folks who are experienced. I carry a snub 38 and feel protected anywhere in Memphis.

I agree with you on quite a few of those points

For me, I have no problem operating a semiauto at the range. I can handle them fine, load mags fine, rack the slide fine and clear jams when necessary. HOWEVER - at the range I'm not staring down the barrel of a pistol held by Joe Gangbanger intent on killing me just because he is in a bad mood. In such a situation, I might maintain my cool and be just fine with a semiauto (I'd like to think so) or I might be using all my fine motor skills to keep from crapping on myself and forget my own name (I have to consider the possibility, at least.) Therefore, I find the simplicity of a revolver appealing - not because they are easier to operate at the range but because they would be easier [for me] to operate in a bad situation. Of course, the fact that I just like revolvers better plays into that, too. I sometimes carry a semiauto but have determined to have some type of revolver on me, too - either as primary or as BUG.

I've been told from a former homicide detective that there's a poll showing that criminals said they are much more scared by a revolver then a semi-auto.

Well, I'm no criminal and personally I'd be pretty upset at having either pointed at me. That said, I find a medium or larger frame .357 with a four inch barrel to be much more 'impressive' looking than a polymer pistol. No matter the actual differences, the .357 (or .44, etc.) just looks mean.

Guest jackdm3
I've been told from a former homicide detective that there's a poll showing that criminals said they are much more scared by a revolver then a semi-auto.

1. Dirty Harry made quite an impression

2. Why be afraid of plastic? ;)

The fact that you can see the bullets and know it's loaded is what the polled criminals gave as their reason for being more scared of revolvers then semi-autos. As far as the polymers go, there's nothing like the feel and appearrance of a heavy, steel handgun, revolver or semi.

The only reason I pointed out the part about the people polled being criminals is because I imagine a bank won't be as concerned with intimidating civilians as they are with intimidating criminals.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Letereat!

Huh More intimidating like Dirty Harry an all....odd. They oughta letem have huge long barrelld .38s then. I think i'll start workin on that. The most menacing .38 revolver ever!

Guest Letereat!

makes sense. never would have thought but makes sense. why would they care what good ole honest john and his family think about what type of gun it is. Its the criminals who need to be put on notice, I vote Bigger an More Menacing .38 Revolvers for 1st TN Bank guards!!!! Hip Hip Hooooray...HipHip Hooooraay!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Letereat!

I have found myself preferring my Ruger SP101 over my semi-autos the past couple of months for some reason, with my Smith 442 as a BUG. There's something about the timelessness and simplicity of a well-made revolver that I really like.

The only thing I give up with my wheelguns is capacity.