nascar and Guns???

Hey guys I'm getting ready to go down to Alabama to the nascar race this weekend in Talladega. I know you gotta let your redneck come out every once in a while!!! Me and some Fraternity brothers from college went years back and are having a reunion trip. Ok here is the Question. Can I legally carry my gun there. We will be camping In My RV. on race track property outside of the track. I know our tickets to the race say that no weapons are allowed inside the track. I will have my handgun inside my camper while staying there. But would not like to leave it at home due to the fact of driving 200 miles to the track and then back with out it. anyone got any ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest archerdr1

I doubt they will be searching your vehicle. That being said, I don't think that in that environment, I would be without it at least in my camper.

Guest Buzz87

you can legally carry in Alabama. that being said, I don't know what the policy of the property owner is.

My theory is always this: If I don't have to use it, no one will know I have it, If I have to use it, then I will be glad to be alive to face any punishment if needed.

I have been to races in the motorhome and gone into infield parking / camping where the track people came inside the motorhome and looked for non ticketed passengers. They could have cared less about what else may have been in there, they were looking for people and animals. I doubt if you have those concerns parking outside the track even though you may be on racetrack property. Conceal well / hide well, shut up, do nothing to draw attention. I would never suggest you do anything illegal.

oldogy

Two tracks were Daytona and Sebring

I do not know for a fact but I am near 100% sure you cannot have it on their property.

Call them 877.Go2.DEGA

I found nothing pertaining to do's and don't of camping there.

But I found this on their site

FANS MAY NOT ENTER ADMISSION GATES WITH:

• Hard-sided coolers, thermoses or insulated cups of any size
  • Glass containers, strollers, umbrellas, bicycles, roller blades, pets, banners, signs or flags
  • Stadium seats with armrests
  • Firearms, knives, fireworks and items restricted by local, state or federal laws
  • Any bag, backpack, purse or container larger than the allowable sizes

Guest Plainsman

I actually had this problem last year. I had some infield passes and thought that they enabled me to drive into the infield. They asked me if I had any weapons and told me that they would be searching the vehicle---and me and my wife in a clean silverado aren't exactly the "red" looking type if you know what I mean. I should have had them locked in the console and just said no. If they asked me to unlock the console, I should have just turned around, but I had to learn the hard way and didn't want any trouble. Besides, I had nothing to hide. I had my permit. I had my LCP and my Glock in the truck. They would not let me leave without turning them over to security and taking them to the "police station" at the edge of the property where I could pick them up. They then told me that my pass wouldn't allow me access to the infield...still would not return the weapons...still had to go to the "police station to pick them up. I watched the man the entire time clear the guns and bag them, then went straight to the "police station" to retrieve them. I wasn't a happy "camper" if you know what I mean. They told me before returning them that no weapons were allowed on the property and asked where I was going to be staying before they returned them to me. I lied and told them that the wife and I had decided to return to our Hotel and would not bring them back for the Cup race the following day. I then parked in the free parking and left them locked in the console. No one ever knew after that. Also, I thought that it was odd that no one ever asked to see my permit---no one.

I learned a lot from that experience, and will never again surrender my firearm to anyone unless its a bonafide LEO.

Edited by Plainsman

I only go to Bristol now and they check any bags and coolers that you are bringing in but they never do pat you down for weapons. I leave mine locked in my car at the house where I camp but I could get in with it if I wanted. I have never been in a position where I needed mine...yet.

I haven't been to Dega in about 6 years. Good luck.