Back from the range

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I took my wife to the range today to let her try out the new Taurus TCP .380 I bought her a couple of weeks back at the local gun show. After 24 rounds she decided she did not like the gun. She said it hurt her hand when she shot it (what a girl..lol). I put another 26 rounds through the little gun and it shot without a ftf or any other problem. I bought this gun for her to carry but it looks like I will be doing some trading or selling. I am just not quite sure what she can handle. Before I buy anything else she will have to shoot it first. I guess that is a good idea for any gun purchase. Any thoughts on what to carry below a .380?? I guess anything is better than nothing. Maybe pepper spray...lol

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just not quite sure what she can handle. Before I buy anything else she will have to shoot it first. I guess that is a good idea for any gun purchase. Any thoughts on what to carry below a .380?? I guess anything is better than nothing. Maybe pepper spray...lol

Have her try a different .380, or maybe a 9mm. The lightweight gun will have more felt recoil than a heavier gun, even in a larger caliber.

The TCPs and LCPs are just small and are a handfull for a most men. Maybe a Walther .380. They are a little bigger and heavier.

I would move her up to a 9mm. Maybe the Taurus 709 slim or the Walther PPS. The PPS is a little hevier so it is easier to shoot.

A Kahr PM9, KT PF9 or most of the .380s will be to light and will be difficult for her to shoot.

If it is solely a carry gun, then she shouldn't worry to much about it, unless it scares her to shoot it. The TCP isnt a range gun. Too small and light for a lot of range time.

I have an XDm 9mm and she does not like to shoot it very much. I have a Lorcin (unreliable) .22 she likes but it ftf about every other round. You guys may be on to something. A bigger, heavier gun yet still small enough for conceal carry. Thanks.

If she is just going to be carrying it she might want to reconsider. Obviously was not bought to be a range gun for her. She just needs to shoot it enough to be proficient with it . If you can't convince her to try it again you might consider something like a snubbie .38 revolver. Stay away from the air-weights and make sure you have a slightly over-sized grip most new ones come with one already the gun may have a little more muzzle flip but it will be less painful to shoot. My daughter loves shooting my Dads S&W .38 snubbie with hogue grips & she is 12 . I've shot it plenty of times and it is very comfortable my mother shoots it as well with no complaints. She shouldn't have anymore trouble concealing it than the Taurus. Especially if she purse carries.

Guest rystine

My advice wouldn't be to go smaller. Find a bigger, heavier gun. Like FordGuy said, a larger gun will soak up recoil better. A Glock 26 or 19 would be a good place to start if she likes autos. There's dozens of other similar options like an M&P, XD subcompact, a Sig p239, etc.

And of course you can always look at a good .38 revolver.

How much shooting has she done? Is she comfortable with carrying anyway? I ask because you said you're not sure what she can handle, and that gives me the impression that she doesn't do alot of shooting (correct me if I'm wrong). If she's inexperienced, it may be worth investing in a decent target .22 just to get her comfortable shooting in general before you have her carrying a gun which she isn't confident using.

I have an XDm 9mm and she does not like to shoot it very much. ...

I think that's a very telling comment. If she thinks the XDM 9 has too much recoil, she is just going to have to be "educated" into shooting, methinks - meaning that "boom" and "force" don't necessarily mean "pain". It may just be more of a perceived "violent" action on the gun's part. I can't image any gun in 9mm (or .380) that's going to have less recoil than an XDM.

.223 rifle is a good example. It doesn't kick much more than a .22 magnum but because it is so loud and "violent", I've seen folks, not just women, shy away from it.

I think instruction and mindset here may be more important than looking for a "perfect gun".

:popcorn:

- OS

She is fairly new to shooting. I have taken her to the range numerous times (shooting the .22) and we have taken the TN DOS gun safety class. She did well in the class scoring 100% on her range test. If I can find a gun that "feels good" to her then she will do fine. Especially after some range time.

Guest Gillespk

In the same boat here. My wife has a bad wrist and did not like shooting my M&P9c. She shot little 25 and 22 revolver we had on hand with no issues. Currently borrowing an old 380 to she if she likes the caliber. I had hoped a TCP/LCP would work since I could use it too, but sounds like it is too light. Has anyone tried Bersa Thunder? Looked at one Saturday and think it might be a good compromise if she likes the caliber. Bigger than TCP/LCP, but not too bad and weight was ok. Any thought advice on this gun?

Guest faust921

I guess it depends if it going to be in a nightstand or a purse. Nightstand - I's get her a .357 like a SW686 and put .38s in it. A .38 spl has too much flip and the cheaper ones like the Taurus have a knurled cylinder release that can bite your thumb.

Im not a big fan of auto loaders for the ladies. Too many buttons and 2nd guessing if the mag is in, the safety is on, one in the chamber, ect. ect. Not to be sexist but not too many ladies really have an interest in all of the mechanical fascinations of the gun. Also in close range, the barrel on an auto loader can come out of battery, and a male aggressor is more likely to close the gap on a female target.

If an autoloader is a must, you can't believe how cheap a used SW 4006 can be had on gun trader. (S.S. cop trade ins). Nice and heavy. Use some progressive grits in wet/dry automotive sandpaper and polish the feed ramp till it's shiny like a new nickel and it will run like a champ.

I'd also make sure that she had earplugs in AND muffs on. Could her perception of recoil be more aural than what she was feeling in her hand(s)?

Maybe you can rent or borrow a .22 target pistol to get her accustomed to shooting and after a while let her move up in caliber to her personal weapon of her choice (because you cant tell a woman anything). My wife never warmed up to handguns, she prefers my noisy, retired, police magnum 870, just like her dad's 870 back on the farm.

Thanks for all the suggestions. From everything I am reading, she needs to get her hands on and shoot as many guns as possible (even the larger calibers). Whatever gun she chooses (and becomes comfortable with) will be carried in her purse as her EDC.

Too bad she doesnt like the TCP. Maybe she should stick with it. Or a heavier .380 like a Walther.

Maybe she would surprise herself by liking a revolver better- SW 442 or 642. Use low powered loads at the range and carry something with some more umph.

But I think the first reply from Nolo - Beretta Tomcat .32 - is the best.

I vote for a Ruger SP101 revolver, a much heavier .380 or the Beretta Tomcat. I think my LCP has a sustantial amount of recoil. I shot with a few guys yesterday; everything from a .44 revolver, to various modern pistols, and a few 12 gauges. The two guns that everyone commented on the recoil were my LCP and the similar Taurus. It's not a fun recoil either, like the .44 or a full-size .45, it's just a nasty little snap and the gun is so light it tries to jump out of your hand. I shoot my Glock 26 sooo much better than the LCP, and my 19 a little better than the 26.

She is fairly new to shooting. I have taken her to the range numerous times (shooting the .22) and we have taken the TN DOS gun safety class. She did well in the class scoring 100% on her range test. If I can find a gun that "feels good" to her then she will do fine. Especially after some range time.

I think the issue lies here.... My wife started with my Ruger MKI. She liked it and wanted to try something bigger. Unfortunately after shooting the .22, EVERYTHING feels 100x more powerful (because it is). It took several range trips, but I got her used to shooting my P85 (9mm). After shooting that, the Ruger now feels like a toy.

As metioned, I wouldn't go smaller than the .380 and remind her that a personal defense gun isn't necessarily "fun" to shoot.

We rented an S&W .38 airweight and neither of us liked it. After 15 rounds she had a blister forming in the web between her thumb and index finger. I hated the 900lb x 6 ft trigger pull. The muzzle blast was worse than a 4" barreled .357. I'm just not a wheel gun guy.

In the same boat here. My wife has a bad wrist and did not like shooting my M&P9c. She shot little 25 and 22 revolver we had on hand with no issues. Currently borrowing an old 380 to she if she likes the caliber. I had hoped a TCP/LCP would work since I could use it too, but sounds like it is too light. Has anyone tried Bersa Thunder? Looked at one Saturday and think it might be a good compromise if she likes the caliber. Bigger than TCP/LCP, but not too bad and weight was ok. Any thought advice on this gun?

That would be a great choice that gun shoots very well but does have a thick grip if she has really small hands it might be a problem .

My wife and I went to the gun range, I brought my Keltec p32 for her to shoot and my Glock 19 for me, she like shooting the Glock 19 better, she had no problems with my Glock hitting the target every time. I forgot to mention this was her first time shooting a gun.When i was leaving the gun shop ( Guns and Leather ) there was a woman buying a Glock 19. go figure.

My wife hates shooting my P95. Fat grips, small hands, loud boom, etc. I picked her up a Walther P22 and she loves it. While its not a defensive weapon, its something to get a new inexperienced shooter used to handling a gun. The P22 has become HER gun. I've already warned her in a defensive situation if the P22 is all she has pull the trigger as fast as she can and be prepared to throw the empty gun. Heheheheh

The Sig p238 has very low recoil and is very accurate. I would not recommend the Taurus Slim, I shot one last week and it's a freaking hand cannon. Best of luck

I'm not a big dude and didn't mind the recoil of the 709, albeit with WWB, not JHP +P. Are other "pocket" 9mm guns more manageable?

Guest scrod008

I went through this same thing with my wife, she decided real quick she didn't like the small .380's and wanted something that in her words "felt like a real gun". Now she has both a Ruger SP101 and a S&W Model 60, both in the 3" barrel, I guess you could say she is a wheel gun girl.:rock: