Colt Defender .45

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I have put one of these guns in layaway. Since then I have read all the horror stories about the reliability of the gun. Stories such as ftf, brass being thrown back into your face, etc. A lot of these stories are not recent. Does anyone know if ... Colt has addressed these issues? I would hate to pay $800+ for a edc that is not reliable. Also I hear that you should have them modified once you get them. Again once I pay that much for a gun I am not going to be able to afford any mods done to the gun. Have I made a good choice? Any alternatives?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure your Defender will be fine. A friend of mine has a box stock lightweight Defender, and it is one of the best shooting 1911's he has ever had. If you read too much on the 1911 forums, you would be afraid to shoot any of them until you replace/polish/tune all of the stock parts. Shoot it and make up your own mind.

^^Great advice! All too often, we are overly influenced by other people and their stories of gun issues. Although there are exceptions, not all guns of a particular type or model will have the same troubles. When you get it, check it out, clean it well, and go shooting. Find out for yourself!

Guest FiddleDog

It is an inevitability that once you purchase something, you will immediately find a gazillion bad things about it on the internet (regardless of make or model). People will find a reason to flame on the internet for anything (you ought to see the comments on Better Homes and Garden's Recipes Website).

When you get your gun. Shoot the poo out of it. If you have issues, have confidence that either the vendor or the manufacturer will make it right. If after all that, you want to just throw the gun out of a moving carwindow...you may do it into my yard, and I wont complain about littering or anything (I am jealous of your soon to be acquisition of a Colt Defender).

You bought the Wrong Gun Quotes

Edited by FiddleDog

Colt makes a fine pistol. I have heard some of the trash talk but my Colt 1911 is my most reliable handgun. It is a series 80 and I have shot hundreds of rounds through it of every kind of ammo and it has bever failed. I think the rash talk was started by Kimber lovers.

Guest nj.piney
A recall of the Colt Defender is out there for the "Slide Lock Safety and the Recoil Spring Guide Pad". That would suck to get your piece and then have to send it off.

Check out your serial numbers...

http://www.coltsmfg.com/recall.aspx

i bought a colt defender last year , never one failure . i e mailed colt and they sent a complete guide rod assaembly , 2 minute installation . only problem i had was the rubber grips , replaced with chip mcormick thin grips .

Guest tbone

Don't worry. I had one and it was just fine. It stovepiped twice on me, but with reloaded ammo that I picked up at a gun show, so I don't count that. With new factory ammo or personal protection rounds, it was flawless. You will be surprised at how accurate and controllable that gun will be. It was my EDC until I got the itch for something else. I had an arched mainspring housing installed in mine and it seemed to fit my hand better. You have made a great choice and I am sure that you will be pleased. Colt does a great job producing this gun, forget the garbage about sending it off to get tuned as soon as you get it. If by some remote chance there is a problem, give Colt a shot at fixing it first.

Guest tbone

That itch produced an M&P 9c. I found it to be equally as accurate, with less features to potentially snag on clothing. (hammer, beaver-tail) I also found comfort in the fact that I was carrying more ammo in the gun. It is a little harder to conceal due to the fact that it is thicker, and the Defender trigger was better. That's probably the biggest downside to gun ownership for me, I want a new gun, I get it, after a while, I want another one. Something tells me that I am not the only one on this forum who suffers from this condition! :hat: