EXTREMELY disappointing encounter with someone with a badge

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe
I will actually agree with you on that. Too many people are willing to stand by while someone else presents bad behavior.

In this scenario while walking away and letting "cooler heads prevail" may have saved a lot of hassle if this person were truly an officer of the law he should have been confronted to get his badge number etc. and then report it to supervisor. If this was an officer/fireman/detective/security guard etc. then they definitely need to be called out for their actions. Simply asking for a badge number may have "frightened" them into "better" behavior and they might think twice about it in the future.

Then again - to play devil's advocate. In today's society the slightest confrontation can result in severe bodily harm or death.

In this scenario there was only the win of walking away and having a nice night.

The thought that immediately presented itself to me was: "Okay, think this through, this guy is portraying himself as an officer, is obviously upset. I am carrying a firearm and am obviously pissed off. I WOULD NOT HAVE DRAWN, but I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have ended up sitting together drinking tea in the parking spot. So, its better, for me, especially in the situation to just pick up my big boy ego and take the walk. Because I really didn't want to get into a screaming match with some guy that "was" a police officer, maybe.

Although, I do wish I would have gotten the tag number, walked up the driver's side of the car and said, "Sure, I'll move but in return, I'd like your badge number, name and department."

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Douche move by the guy using his badge to get his way. He certainly should have been more tactful.

2) ...however, he was there ready to park and your date wasn't and he might have been in just as much of a hurry. He didn't handle the issue properly, but that doesn't make 'I saw it first' a valid right to the space. You did right by letting it go, so kudos there for not pressing the issue.

Hope the rest of the date went well, and this didn't dampen the mood.

I too am one who dislikes the practice of 'saving seats'... if one can't make a reservation that means it's first-come-first-serve and I'm here and that's an empty seat/space and I went to just as much effort or paid just as much to get to it.

Guest Jamie

In this scenario while walking away and letting "cooler heads prevail" may have saved a lot of hassle if this person were truly an officer of the law he should have been confronted to get his badge number etc. and then report it to supervisor. If this was an officer/fireman/detective/security guard etc. then they definitely need to be called out for their actions.

Are you 100% sure the OP was in the right here?

Because if he wasn't, it's quite possible that that pushing the issue could have put him on the receiving end of something unpleasant.

I don't know what sort of local ordinances Franklin may or may not have, but as I mentioned earlier, the officer - if in fact he really was an officer - may have been quite prepared to call in a marked car and have the OP cited for violation of something or the other.

Simply asking for a badge number may have "frightened" them into "better" behavior and they might think twice about it in the future.

Or it could have resulted in the OP's night being ruined.

Whatever the case, we'll never know.

What we do know is that all ended well.

One thing I'm curious about though... and no, it's not whether or not he "hit it"... :D ... Glock23ForMe, do you think you'll ever try to save anyone a parking place again? :yuck:

J.

True story....My wife was inside shopping in Nashville a year or so ago and I was leaning against a pole/barrier in the parking lot waiting for her. The barrier was a railroad tie pounded in the ground to keep people from parking there because the big sign at the edge of the spot must have been denting cars up. The top 1' of it was painted orange, but the rest of it going into the ground was standard rust.

Some yahoo pulled close to me, honked his horn, and stuck his head out "how about you moving so I can park?"

I didn't budge. He honked again...this time for about 10 long seconds. I moved enough to let him see that there was a honkin railroad tie there. He sat there a second, and left the parking lot.

That was very satisfying.

True story....My wife was inside shopping in Nashville a year or so ago and I was leaning against a pole/barrier in the parking lot waiting for her. The barrier was a railroad tie pounded in the ground to keep people from parking there because the big sign at the edge of the spot must have been denting cars up. The top 1' of it was painted orange, but the rest of it going into the ground was standard rust.

Some yahoo pulled close to me, honked his horn, and stuck his head out "how about you moving so I can park?"

I didn't budge. He honked again...this time for about 10 long seconds. I moved enough to let him see that there was a honkin railroad tie there. He sat there a second, and left the parking lot.

That was very satisfying.

HAHA...

I would have moved just to watch him ram the tie, and then died laughing.

No wonder I prefer to stay home. People are rude and self absorbed as a rule. Until this is changed, our country will continue it's current downhill slide. The pity of it is that it is going to take an unthinkable event to change our outlooks toward our fellow man.

Guest Glock23ForMe

One thing I'm curious about though... and no, it's not whether or not he "hit it"... :D ... Glock23ForMe, do you think you'll ever try to save anyone a parking place again? :screwy:

J.

Well, hopefully, when we go out again she'll be in my car to begin with. But I doubt it, HOWEVER!, if someone was standing in a parking spot would I try to pull in and then scream and yell and complain... NO, I'll be like, damn, that was my idea.... Wave (cause I'm courteous to everyone) and keep going.

Guest Jamie

Now Phil... how many times, when you were a cop, did someone tell you they were going to "have your badge"?

And how did that work out for 'em? :D;)

J.

Ok, here's the deal....

Remove the badge from the equation. Had this dude pulled to the spot you were standing in and demanded that you moved, and rather than showing you a badge of some sort, showed you his fist and said "GTFO" what would you have done?

Personally, I'd have moved. Not because I'm a wimp but because clearer heads prevail. There's no sense getting into a fight over a parking spot. Further more, I'd have been carrying -- and no matter what sort of fight you get into, if you're carrying, a fight automatically becomes a gun fight by proxy.

Most people in this world would have cussed you pretty good under their breath but never confronted you as you stood in that spot. You happened to catch the small percentage who will, and he did, and he happened to have a badge of some sort. The badge isn't the problem. The fact that he was confrontational with you is the problem, right?

Big deal. I'm not excusing his actions, and definitely think the guy was a douchenozzle of the highest order -- magnified by the fact that he gave the impression of being a cop -- but the fact remains that you got to go home, physically intact, and had a nice dinner with your date. You won. Not him.

:D:bowrofl:;):bowrofl:

(IMHO) Did you get a close look at the badge? I don't believe a real law officer would do that. He probably worked midnite security at Wal-mart!. Just in case and being your first date, you made the right decision and obviously good impression on your date.:D

(IMHO) Did you get a close look at the badge? I don't believe a real law officer would do that. He probably worked midnite security at Wal-mart!.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Both of the following quotes come from members of this very forum who claim to be LEO's.
I can also tell you this much; with or without a badge... with or without a gun... I'd have gotten out of my car and you would have moved.
.....I always thought it was first come first served. Sounds like you were being a a$$holes. I would have just runover you. Save someone a place sounds like something a kid would do.P#$$Y.....
Guest Guntotn

I hate to be a stick in the mud but i don"t agree with this saveing seats, parking spots or a place in line. I think people should get there on time or a little early to keep anyone from haveing to try to save a place......Sorry thats the way I was raised.

.....I always thought it was first come first served. Sounds like you were being a a$$holes. I would have just runover you. Save someone a place sounds like something a kid would do.P#$$Y.....

Really? That's how people talk on TGO? Guess you got it all figured out. I'm not impressed at all. :koolaid:

Guest rystine

I guess I must be an oddball here; I don't see anything wrong with standing in a parking spot to hold it for someone, as long as they are within eyesight.

And I don't see why so many are so quick to suggest the guy wasn't a cop. I won't insult LEO's, I'll just say that my opinion of cops evidently isn't as high as most here.

Thats all just my opinion, YMMV.

Guest clsutton21

lol this guy is too old and angry to be an LEO. maybe he was the one that wanted the spot.

Guest Jamie

Being a LEO has a way of making you "old and angry"... even if you're not particularly old as far as years go. :grouchy:

BTW, USMCJG... I am not currently a LEO. Haven't been for quite a while now.

I'll bet I can find a few current ones who'd voice pretty much the same opinion I have though. :D

J.

Guest malbolja

Wow. Are you this dumb in person?

BTW, USMCJG... I am not currently a LEO. Haven't been for quite a while now.

I'll bet I can find a few current ones who'd voice pretty much the same opinion I have though. :D

J.

I'm sure you could. I just can't understand how anyone could even consider getting physical over a parking spot. Maybe I'm the odd one here though.:D
Guest Jamie

Read the whole thread and maybe it'll make a little more sense to you.

Then again, maybe it won't. In which case I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it further. :D

Edit: Here, I'll try one last time... Don't try to prevent me from going some place I have a legal right to go/be, if you have no immediate need/use for that space yourself. I don't fight or argue with other folks in vehicles that get to a parking space before I do, even if I "saw it first". However, somebody standing in one, specifically to prevent me from using it...? Bad plan.

Maybe it's because I've seen judges chew people out for that kind of thinking or behavior, or maybe it's just a quirk of my personality, but that's just how it is.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Read the whole thread and maybe it'll make a little more sense to you.

Then again, maybe it won't. In which case I'd be wasting my time trying to explain it further. :D

Edit: Here, I'll try one last time... Don't try to prevent me from going some place I have a legal right to go/be, if you have no immediate need/use for that space yourself. I don't fight or argue with other folks in vehicles that get to a parking space before I do, even if I "saw it first". However, somebody standing in one, specifically to prevent me from using it...? Bad plan.

Maybe it's because I've seen judges chew people out for that kind of thinking or behavior, or maybe it's just a quirk of my personality, but that's just how it is.

J.

Yes, I get the argument. I guess a parking spot just isn't nearly as important to me as it is to some people. And certainly not worth starting a fight with someone over. Don't get me wrong, I will give what I get and then some. But I don't start anything. Especially not over something as mundane as a parking space. And no I've never stood in a spot to save it for someone, although I really wouldn't consider it that big of a deal.
Guest RevScottie

Its threads like this that give gun owners a bad reputation. Anyone that would even consider getting into a physical altercation over a parking spot doesn't need to carry, period. All of this chest puffing bravado about how I WOULD make you move is just fuel for the anti gun fire. This is the exact argument that the anti gun lobby is using against the guns in bars initiative. They see gun owners as a bunch of hot headed vigilantes who cant be trusted with a weapon.