surrender?

Guest cappy

Guest cappy

ok so i have posted somthing simillar to this before but i have another question on the topic. since i have recently moved into a state from another and i obtain a handgun permit from the other state do i have to surrender my current permit?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might depend on the state.

If you were moving TO TN, you'd need to get a TN HCP within six months after taking residency. Your permit from the first state would still be valid until that time, assuming it didn't expire. But I don't think TN requires you to turn in the other permit anywhere.

Other states may have different time limits/laws.

Does that answer the question?

Probably not exactly.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest cappy

well kinda i recently moved from indiana and have an indiana permit which is a lifetime permit it doesnot expire but i am currently living in TN but i was curious to the question because if i was to move back to indiana for any reason i would like to still have possesion of that i guess what im saying is do they require you to give them your out of state permit and dispose of it or do they just make a copy and hand it back so i could possible still carry while waiting to obtain the TN HCP

well kinda i recently moved from indiana and have an indiana permit which is a lifetime permit it doesnot expire but i am currently living in TN but i was curious to the question because if i was to move back to indiana for any reason i would like to still have possesion of that i guess what im saying is do they require you to give them your out of state permit and dispose of it or do they just make a copy and hand it back so i could possible still carry while waiting to obtain the TN HCP

No, you don't have to surrender your IN permit, at least I've NEVER heard of anyone being required to do that, although somebody once reported that some doofus at the driver's license bureau did try to keep one once. Which of course is wrong, because you NEED the other license until your TN one comes through.

See, you get a little break:

Handgun Carry Permit Application Requirements

(see under Indiana)

You still have to take the class, but you only have to pay the $50 renewal fee rather than the $115 first time fee. It's considered a "renewal".

Your IN permit and the receipt for the TN one makes you good until you get your TN HCP, and you need to do all this within 6 months of taking residence here. I've never heard of anyone having to "turn in" the other state's permit upon receipt of the TN one. And sure, since it's a lifetime one, I wouldn't want to either.

But after the 6 months, especially since you will also be required by law to have a TN driver's license, I wouldn't show the IN one in TN anymore.

Whether you could conceivably get into any trouble in other states for showing an IN handgun permit with a TN driver's license, I couldn't say, but I don't believe I would. Actually can't think of any REASON I would even want to do that.

edit: well, actually I guess I do, come to think of it -- if you're in a state that accepts IN permit but not TN one. Don't know if there ARE any, though?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest cappy

no i do not want to use my IN permit after i get my TN hcp but the two reasons i already stated it dosent expire in case i move back as well as being able to carry while waiting and you mentioned 6 months after residency which i knew that part but somthing that has been bothering me is how the hell that works after 60 days or less have a tn dl but still have a in permit? by the way thank you for all the info!

... but somthing that has been bothering me is how the hell that works after 60 days or less have a tn dl but still have a in permit?

What's the 60 days?

Oh, the TN driver's license?

Is that the law, 60 days?

Well, you know, TDL is dated when issued, so you still have 6 months after that by law to get the HCP. Might raise an eyebrow if stopped, but all they have to do is check.

My advise is go ahead and get the class done soon as convenient, after all you're gonna have to anyway.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest cappy

yeah i agree im just trying to get all my info and that good junk ready as well as im looking up info on places not to carry in TN and as far as i can tell no gov. property as well as business that sell alchol to consume on premises and the only other places is were posted if im not mistaken i carried for the first time in this state today at a local mall with my sons i dont belive i crossed any lines there i checked for postings and none so? well thanks again and sorry to be hasseling you so much but you anwsered my ?s

... and as far as i can tell no gov. property

Well, no FEDERAL buildings. City/County/State gov. buildings have to post like everybody else.

City/county parks are up to each municipality. They must post a compliant sign if carry if forbidden. At least one quirk there, Knoxville (city) is forbidden but doesn't have to post, okay to carry in Knox County parks, though, and you can actually go in and out of city/county on same bike trail. Cool, huh?

...as well as business that sell alchol to consume on premises
Well, for now, yeah.
well thanks again and sorry to be hasseling you so much but you anwsered my ?s
No worries, welcome to TN and TGO.

- OS

Guest That Guy

Probably.

My understanding is you can only have a permit from the sate you hold residency. There is an exception for working "x" amount of hours, and I am sure there is some allocation of time to decide on which state that is for those holding dual residency.

The details can be worked-out with the Department of Safety (good luck). But to answer your question, I think you will. Sorry.

My understanding is you can only have a permit from the sate you hold residency. ....

There is no federal law regarding handgun permits. It would have to be determined by the individual states.

Nowhere in TN statutes does it say that you can't have a permit from another state. It only requires that you get one from TN if you are a TN resident.

Indeed, MANY people have a second non-resident permit. Quite a few states issue non-resident permits -- Utah is a popular choice, and with one you could carry in Washington state, for example, something you can't do with a TN resident permit.

I'd say the OP's IN lifetime permit would be predicated more on IN law than TN law as to whether it's still valid whether he remains IN resident or not.

- OS

Guest cappy

so i guess by law then they could not force me to surrender it and i suppose when i did get my tn hcp if in canceled my in hcp and i went back to in all i would have to do is pay $30 renwal i belive it is for a lifetime in the state so i guess i would be good hell i have 6months

Probably.

My understanding is you can only have a permit from the sate you hold residency. There is an exception for working "x" amount of hours, and I am sure there is some allocation of time to decide on which state that is for those holding dual residency.

The details can be worked-out with the Department of Safety (good luck). But to answer your question, I think you will. Sorry.

I think that is very wrong.

There are many states that issue permits to non-residents.

There is nothing in TN law that says you can not have a permit from another state, only that if you become a resident of TN you must obtain a TN permit. Or that in a specific set of circumstances if you work 30 hours a week or more for 6 months in TN and do not have a permit from a reciprocal state, then you must get a TN permit to carry. So even TN issues non-resident permits in certain situations.

Guest cheez

When I got my TN driver's license they told me my GA firearms license would be honored by Tennessee until it expired which at the time was four years. However they did say that I should go ahead and get my TN HCP to keep the LE's from hasseling me. When I applied for the TN HCP I asked if I was required to surrender my GA firearms license like I did my driver's license. They told me no. I now have my TN HCP and carry it along with my GA license. I will carry the GA firearms license until it expires in 2014. There is no law against having two permits so I figure it can't hurt to carry them.

When I got my TN driver's license they told me my GA firearms license would be honored by Tennessee until it expired which at the time was four years. ...

Unless this was a long time ago and law has changed since, "they" were wrong.

- OS

Guest cheez
Unless this was a long time ago and law has changed since, "they" were wrong.

- OS

It was 1/13/2010. I suppose they could be wrong. "they" were TDOS license examiners.

It was 1/13/2010. I suppose they could be wrong. "they" were TDOS license examiners.

What is a license examiner? You mean, window clerk at DL station?

If so, some of them are wrong a LOT. And so are some class instructors.

At any rate, the law says you must get TN HCP within 6 months of becoming resident here, simple as that, so whoever they were, yeah, they were wrong, period.

- OS

What is a license examiner? You mean, window clerk at DL station?

If so, some of them are wrong a LOT. And so are some class instructors.

At any rate, the law says you must get TN HCP within 6 months of becoming resident here, simple as that, so whoever they were, yeah, they were wrong, period.

- OS

+1 on both accounts

Guest cappy

well either way my IN does not expire like ive already posted but i will be a resident of TN so i know i will need a TN HCP but intend on keeping my IN as well but not using it to show leos or what not if i have my TN

Guest crotalus01

If you forget your TN HCP and happen to have your IN permit on you and you get stopped by LEOs it could save your bacon. I would not hesitate to show it in that situation. My understanding of TN law is that TN honors IN permits, period. Most cops probably will be understaniding a a situation like that - at least they will know you are permitted (pun intended)

If you forget your TN HCP and happen to have your IN permit on you and you get stopped by LEOs it could save your bacon. ..

Well, ya know, the statute says you must have your permit on you anytime you're carrying, but there's no penalty stipulated for NOT having it on you.

They CAN confirm you have one via radio, after all, so I don't think you'd be in much hot water. It's a little far fetched to think you'd be railroaded for illegal possession/carry for not having it on you.

- OS