Where does the stereotype come from?

After reading comments from the public, last year and this year from people concerning handgun carry legislation, it seems like some people really think the people who are for these laws are hill billy/red neck, love to drink and shoot firearms, vigilante, missing several teeth, and uneducated.

Now I'm not down on hill billy/red neck. Being a life long resident of Tennessee I guess I have a little in me but not the way I take it from reading those comments. People that I can think of that would think fits the discription of these commenters do not have a carry permit and I don't think would even bother with getting one. Where does this stereotype come from? These people must not know anyone who has a carry permit or they would see who we really are.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon

Well, it always easier to criticize a stereotype than an actual person. Hence, if you don't know any better, you'll toss all those crazy gun nuts into the same boat.

If you live in NYC or something a gun is just too much hassle. It isn't surprising that those folks would imagine gun owners as some weird fetish ridden hillbillies. I mean how often do they interact with a gun owner? Maybe when they get mugged...

Anyway, none of this is too unusual but I'm hopeful that these attitudes are changing. I've been more and more support on liberal sites (Daily freakin Kos for one, man I despise that place) where people are seeing gun rights in the same light as they see other rights. I attribute that to all the guns people recently bought all the permits recently issued and all the nothing that actually happened. A few years ago we were promised it was going to be the wild west out there with people yelling "Draw, ya varmit" in the mall. When the squeals of the critics turn out to be little more than than pained mewlings of the frightened people tend to begin discounting them. I hope it continues.

Well, it always easier to criticize a stereotype than an actual person. Hence, if you don't know any better, you'll toss all those crazy gun nuts into the same boat.

If you live in NYC or something a gun is just too much hassle. It isn't surprising that those folks would imagine gun owners as some weird fetish ridden hillbillies. I mean how often do they interact with a gun owner? Maybe when they get mugged...

Anyway, none of this is too unusual but I'm hopeful that these attitudes are changing. I've been more and more support on liberal sites (Daily freakin Kos for one, man I despise that place) where people are seeing gun rights in the same light as they see other rights. I attribute that to all the guns people recently bought all the permits recently issued and all the nothing that actually happened. A few years ago we were promised it was going to be the wild west out there with people yelling "Draw, ya varmit" in the mall. When the squeals of the critics turn out to be little more than than pained mewlings of the frightened people tend to begin discounting them. I hope it continues.

+1 Now, substitute gun with: female, asian, black, hispanic, gay, foreign or in a few dozen years white male and you will start to get some understanding. It's fine not to care what people say about you, but being stereotyped for ANY reason sucks.:popcorn:

Guest PapaB

Many people think that those that enjoy what they do not must be completely different. They fear what they don't know and don't want to think that they may share many common traits. If I don't like guns and I'm non-violent, those gun lovers must be violent. Ignorance is bliss and the sheeple are happy in their ignorance.

The moonbats on the left are simply too intellectually lazy to engage in mature, thoughtful debate. They would much rather launch personal attacks because it requires no thought and it makes them feel superior. They think it is funny, but their extreme anti-social behavior is indicative of some latent unresolved emotional issues, manifesting itself as hoplophobia.

But it doesn't come entirely from the left. There are wolves in sheep's clothing in the middle and on the right who pretend to support the Second Amendment and gun ownership, but give themselves away when they begin their position with "I support the Second Amendment, but....".

Edited by DaddyO
spelling and grammar

You guys are putting way too much thought into it!

It comes from the same place that says all Irish folks have red hair and drink.

Same place where all blacks are thugs.

Same place where all Italians are greasy spiked hair, gangster wannabes.

Same place where all Arabs own gas stations and cheap motels.

The white southerner is a red neck, backwoods living, trailer trash, sister lovin....no wait, sister lovin is just Alabama....make that pig ****ing, gun owner.

I think you folks who say the stereotype comes from ignorance are being way too kind. In fact, I believe the stereotype to be quite intentional and the continuation of same to be a deliberate act. If you are a person who - for whatever reason - wants your fellow citizens to be unequipped for self defense if and when they find themselves in a situation where a firearm might just save their very lives, you are going to have to have some pretty strong arguments against expanding legalized firearms carry. You have to have something pretty powerful to back an argument against a person's right to defend their lives and the lives of their family.

Based on facts and real-world situations, the antis have very little ground to stand upon - certainly not enough to outweigh a person's fundamental right to self defense. Therefore, in the spirit of propagandists throughout history, they create a negative stereotype that is much easier to argue against than reality. The uninformed citizen who falls for such arguments may simply do so out of ignorance but the argument, itself, comes not from ignorance or naivete' but from a willful determination to misrepresent reality in order to advance the antis' cause. It isn't an accidental slight but a considered and premeditated attack on our character, intelligence and reason.

Sadly, there appear to be a handful of legal gun owners and even permit holders who seem determined to help grant creedence to the stereotype by engaging in stupid actions that reflect badly on us all and damage the cause of civilian carry for self defense. We know that these individuals are aberrations - exceptions to the overall rule that permit holders are responsible citizens. I believe that the hardcore antis know this, as well. Unfortunately, those same antis endeavor to deceive those members of the larger public who truly may not know better into believing that those rare exceptions are actually representative of permit holders as a group.

Edited by JAB
You guys are putting way too much thought into it!

It comes from the same place that says all Irish folks have red hair and drink.

Same place where all blacks are thugs.

Same place where all Italians are greasy spiked hair, gangster wannabes.

Same place where all Arabs own gas stations and cheap motels.

The white southerner is a red neck, backwoods living, trailer trash, sister lovin....no wait, sister lovin is just Alabama....make that pig ****ing, gun owner.

That was funny. I almost broke my jaw laughing.:drool:

Most likely from guys like this....:popcorn:

Seven's not this guy's lucky number

richard.bartley_t160.jpg

At least Richard Bartley could count.

The 53-year-old Southaven resident allegedly told a Memphis Police officer that he had “1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 drinks†Wednesday night on Beale Street.

The officer observed Bartley on his motorcycle strike another one when he was leaving Beale at about 10, the affidavit said.

He had glassy eyes, slurred speech and responded to questions in a slow, confused manner, the complaint said.

Bartley had a permit for the Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver he was carrying.

The whiskey unit was called to the scene. Bartley had a difficult time following instructions. He refused to submit to a blood and breath test. He was charged with driving under the influence, possession of a handgun while under the influence and refusal to submit to a blood alcohol content test.

CRIME REPORT: Police seeking man who robbed Mapco on Summer Ave.

The moonbats on the left are simply too intellectually lazy to engage in mature, thoughtful debate. They would much rather launch personal attacks because it requires no thought and it makes them feel superior. They think it is funny, but their extreme anti-social behavior is indicative of some latent unresolved emotional issues, manifesting itself as hoplophobia.

But it doesn't come entirely from the left. There are wolves in sheep's clothing in the middle and on the right who pretend to support the Second Amendment and gun ownership, but give themselves away when they begin their position with "I support the Second Amendment, but....".

Dang Daddyo. You wouldn't be stereotyping a little yourself, would ya? :popcorn: I know lefties that like guns, and right wingers that hate them. It's a strong position for some lefty's, but then you have Harry Ried out shooting with the NRA boss at a shooting park that he sponsored.

richard.bartley_t160.jpg

...on Beale Street.

...He was charged with driving under the influence, possession of a handgun while under the influence and refusal to submit to a blood alcohol content test.

Well, at least they didn't charge him with carrying in a posted area.

It's my understanding that all of Beale St. is legally? posted.

- OS

Guest peacexxl
Well, at least they didn't charge him with carrying in a posted area.

It's my understanding that all of Beale St. is legally? posted.

- OS

This still ticks me off! If every business on Beale chooses to post, then that is each business owners perogative, but how do you post an entire public street? If that's the case then it should be off limits to minors as well since it's just one big community bar, but that might hurt business so no dice.

Sorry to stray off topic. BTW I am a proud permit carrying liberal. :popcorn:

I think you folks who say the stereotype comes from ignorance are being way too kind. In fact, I believe the stereotype to be quite intentional and the continuation of same to be a deliberate act. If you are a person who - for whatever reason - wants your fellow citizens to be unequipped for self defense if and when they find themselves in a situation where a firearm might just save their very lives, you are going to have to have some pretty strong arguments against expanding legalized firearms carry. You have to have something pretty powerful to back an argument against a person's right to defend their lives and the lives of their family.

Based on facts and real-world situations, the antis have very little ground to stand upon - certainly not enough to outweigh a person's fundamental right to self defense. Therefore, in the spirit of propagandists throughout history, they create a negative stereotype that is much easier to argue against than reality. The uninformed citizen who falls for such arguments may simply do so out of ignorance but the argument, itself, comes not from ignorance or naivete' but from a willful determination to misrepresent reality in order to advance the antis' cause. It isn't an accidental slight but a considered and premeditated attack on our character, intelligence and reason.

Sadly, there appear to be a handful of legal gun owners and even permit holders who seem determined to help grant creedence to the stereotype by engaging in stupid actions that reflect badly on us all and damage the cause of civilian carry for self defense. We know that these individuals are aberrations - exceptions to the overall rule that permit holders are responsible citizens. I believe that the hardcore antis know this, as well. Unfortunately, those same antis endeavor to deceive those members of the larger public who truly may not know better into believing that those rare exceptions are actually representative of permit holders as a group.

++++1

Always voted democrat, support the death penalty and a woman's right to choose. Master's degree. My wife isn't my relative of any sort, and my salary is nearing six figures. I love my guns, and I'm proud of my carry permit and my Second Amendment rights. Does that make me a conservative liberal?

Guest mosinon
+1 Now, substitute gun with: female, asian, black, hispanic, gay, foreign or in a few dozen years white male and you will start to get some understanding. It's fine not to care what people say about you, but being stereotyped for ANY reason sucks.:eek:

Ya, there is some irony in my post. I'm not saying that some folks around here would necessarily fall prey to the trap of imagining those that disagree with them all are all shallow minded idiots but there is a lot of "I only watch fox news" sentiment

Guest Sgt. Joe
These people must not know anyone who has a carry permit or they would see who we really are.

I would bet quite a lot of them DO know people with permits and who carry daily, they just dont KNOW that they do.

Lots of folks take "concealed means concealed" and "need to know" to Heart.