Private sale Documentation?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so if it's not would one of the MODS tell me and I'll post it where it's supposed to be.

I know many of us buy from individuals. Someone has a gun, and you have cash. You check out the gun, hand them the cash, and they hand you the gun. No personal data questions, no drivers license records, no signing sworn statements, no recording carry permits, addresses or anything like that. I think that's why gun sale sites like GOC and TGO are so popular. Otherwise, we'd all just go to an FFL dealer and jump through all the hoops, right?

I'm trying to deal with an "individual", says he's not a dealer, and that this is a private sale, but wants my drivers license, address, and a signed statement/bill of sale before he'll sell me the entire rifle! He'll sell me everything but the lower receiver (which has the S/N) without all of my personal data. I do not want my personal records in anyone's database... especially one that the government could get their hands on! I feel my Second Amendment rights assure my God given right to own and bear arms... including buying and selling among friends, without transactional databases. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

How do the rest of you feel on this? Am I out of line in not wanting "big brother" to have all of my private data? Every one's opinion is appreciated. To do all of this, would kill the private transactions, in my humble opinion! What do you experts think?

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Edited by Sidewinder
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This is quite common for when dealing with private / non-commercial transaction. I'm sure the seller is just trying to cover his butt, in the chance you or someone else decides to commit a crime with it. Chances he wants anything to do with "Big Brother" any more than you do is slim to none.

I'd rather not fill out any paperwork during a private transaction, but I've never let it prevent me from making such a purchase.

The seller is covering his butt because if that lower was ever used in a crime the law would most likely be knocking on his door after tracing the serial number if he bought it from a dealer. I assume he filled out a 4473 to purchase the receiver.

He is well within his rights to request ID and proof of sale as you are well within your rights to walk and find a seller who does not ask.

Regardless of the 2nd amendment and private property that's the way it is.

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, so if it's not would one of the MODS tell me and I'll post it where it's supposed to be.

I know many of us buy from individuals. Someone has a gun, and you have cash. You check out the gun, hand them the cash, and they hand you the gun. No personal data questions, no drivers license records, no signing sworn statements, no recording carry permits, addresses or anything like that. I think that's why gun sale sights like GOC and TGO are so popular. Otherwise, we'd all just go to an FFL dealer and jump through all the hoops, right?

I'm trying to deal with an "individual", says he's not a dealer, and that this is a private sale, but wants my drivers license, address, and a signed statement/bill of sale before he'll sell me the entire rifle! He'll sell me everything but the lower receiver (which has the S/N) without all of my personal data. I do not want my personal records in anyone's database... especially one that the government could get their hands on! I feel my Second Amendment rights assure my God given right to own and bear arms... including buying and selling among friend, without transactional databases. Maybe I'm just paranoid!

How do the rest of you feel on this? Am I out of line in not wanting "big brother" to have all of my private data? Every one's opinion is appreciated. To do all of this, would kill the private transactions, in my humble opinion! What do you experts think?

"To anger a Conservative, lie to him. To anger a Liberal, tell him the truth." Theodore Roosevelt

Guest Catdaddy

I'll jump in here...

If I sell a gun to you, and you are a felon, my a$$ is in deep doo doo.

If you aren't, and the gun is involved in a crime later, same deal.

The seller is covering his. Not to be crass or rude, but if you don't like the terms, don't buy the gun.

Guest 6.8 AR

If I sell a gun that was bought with my name in the chain of ownership I would get a driver license number and give him a receipt, just to cover my ass. You don't have to buy it, but it's no real reason not to buy it, unless you want it for a crime. I don't see a problem. You can also ask the seller for his DL if you think it's stolen or he doesn't want to give you a receipt. Sometimes it's better to walk away if he doesn't want to.

Might try searching. This is one of the proverbial dead horses.

Yup!

Dead horse.

No! That's not it! I didn't post twice! I don't know what happened. If a MOD would delete the second thread I'd appreciate it. Sorry, about that!

Threads merged and closed.

Do a search for one of the many threads about this and re-up it, if you wish.

Just don't bring up an old thread about caliber wars or Glocks blowing up\not blowing up :clap: